WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wane hopeful for new season

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Wane hopeful for new season

Re: Wane hopeful for new season
Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm
Posted by RichieS on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm
RichieS User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 98th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 0

Surprising to read a lot of negativity already towards the Sarge/Davies combo...no doubt in my mind it will be a success and can see both players having a largely successful season. The link up play shown since Sarge started pre-season has looked top notch...Dans step toward touch may well become quite a tricky play to deal with for a few teams, especially with the power TD has when he comes in on the inside. Both have personal targets of 15+ tries. There was little to no chemistry between Gells and TD and a few felt TD was almost pushed out due to Gells popularity.

I don't understand the surprise in us being written off as contenders...we have pretty much the same spine as last year, albeit re-jigged. We still have SOL who may only manage 60% of the league games and I know that is a worry as if we lose the other 40%, chances are we will be nowhere near the top. All in all it should be a very competitive year and that is great for the game.

I am under no illusion that should things not go well, the club are more than ready to make some changes.
Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:09 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:09 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 43
Rep Position: 67th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 80

Great post Richie. I’m excited to see Sarge and Davies combine. Confident it’ll go well but if we need to change anything there who do we bring in? Forsyth disappears but is playing against Swinton today, he seems to be out of favour. Joel is no longer a centre, Wane doesn’t want Bateman there (neither does Bateman) and Isa is poor on the edge. Hope Sarge can stay fit and find some form.

RichieS wrote:
All in all it should be a very competitive year and that is great for the game.

Not sure about this part though. We have had a greatly competitive league for 5+ years now and the game over here is still sinking. It’s harder than ever to attract new supporters, playing numbers are down and general interest is down. There has been zero build up to the new season, barely any talking points, we still have no transfer market or any marketable players outside of the towns clubs play in and we are about to take a game 10,000 miles away for the sake of a few £000s profit when I’m sure with a few ideas and effort we could make the same playing the game in this country... but that’s for another thread.
Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 pm
Posted by Geoff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 pm
Geoff User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 102nd / 77,341

Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
This is my worry - his step would move him closer to touch and leave less space for Davies. Hopefully he can overcome his instincts and give Davies the option of both outside and inside runs.
Doesn’t make much difference seeing as he hardly ever passes to his winger anyway.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:09 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:09 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 65
Rep Position: 45th / 77,341

[quote="Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy"]You're happy issues have been addressed without knowing if the issues have actually been addressed.

I'll wait to see a number of games (probably 10 or so) before deciding.

Coaches can only do what they can when they can do it. I'm pleased they're being proactive and making changes. Only thing anyone can do.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 am
Posted by Wigg'n on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 am
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 43
Rep Position: 67th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 80

It’s hardly proactive, it’s incredibly reactive to last years poor performances and cohesion. We did nothing last year to try and change anything, it’s all happened in the off-season.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:15 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:15 am
Bronze RLFANS Member

Wigg'n wrote:
It’s hardly proactive, it’s incredibly reactive to last years poor performances and cohesion. We did nothing last year to try and change anything, it’s all happened in the off-season.

Last year we were hampered with injuries. I'm sure Wane would have made changes if possible.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 am
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 am
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 94th / 77,341

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Last year we were hampered with injuries. I'm sure Wane would have made changes if possible.

How did injuries hamper not having a kicking game or a recognised kicker for several seasons?
I think that at the end of the season we had virtually a full squad and we still played like strangers with zippo flair and nil intensity.
In my opinion last season we were complete shoite and you would have to be a blind man not to recognise it.

It's a new season and hopefully we can only improve on generally a very poor season. I am happy to move on but we haven't played a game yet with any meaning so personally I don't know if lessons have been learned. I am hoping for improvements and there are some early signs that they may be delivered but we probably wont know until we have several games under our belt.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:17 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:17 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
How did injuries hamper not having a kicking game or a recognised kicker for several seasons?
I think that at the end of the season we had virtually a full squad and we still played like strangers with zippo flair and nil intensity.
In my opinion last season we were complete shoite and you would have to be a blind man not to recognise it.

It's a new season and hopefully we can only improve on generally a very poor season. I am happy to move on but we haven't played a game yet with any meaning so personally I don't know if lessons have been learned. I am hoping for improvements and there are some early signs that they may be delivered but we probably wont know until we have several games under our belt.

So negative. Coach makes key changes in preparation for a new season and still people are unhappy. I prefer to be positive. For one I'm happy with the changes made positionally, happy with the squad depth in key positions and happy we brought in a kicking coach to help out.

If changes don't occur then they need dealing with, until then the coach and team can only do what they have.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:01 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:01 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 94th / 77,341

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
So negative. Coach makes key changes in preparation for a new season and still people are unhappy. I prefer to be positive. For one I'm happy with the changes made positionally, happy with the squad depth in key positions and happy we brought in a kicking coach to help out.

If changes don't occur then they need dealing with, until then the coach and team can only do what they have.

Sorry LSOW but I just don't see where I have been negative? We haven't played a game in anger yet so how can I judge if anything has changed for the better? With regards to your point of positional changes I think technically non have been officially confirmed? Powel to 7 and TL to 9 is the only major change in squad numbers but SW has I think stated that he hasn't finalised yet who will play where? Its pretty nailed on that Powel & TL will swop but apart from that no other major unforced changes?
Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 pm
Posted by DaveO on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 49
Rep Position: 61st / 77,341

Wigan Peer wrote:
WANE OUT!!!! Just thought i would get that one in early.. :)

It's not early at all :). Don't rate him. Based on his abject failure to address the issues last season I think we'd be better with even with this squad which has some question marks over it (Sarge, FPN and some others) with a different coach.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
PreviousNext