Posted by That Mon on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 pm
That Mon User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 76,905

Quiz Score: 0

NickyKiss wrote:
Escare was good and much better then expected but I wouldn’t go overboard. You have to judge both players at fullback on actual performance and not expectation. I want Sam in the halves as much as the next man but he’s still a better fullback then Escare, it’s just the team would probably be better with them both in for my money.

To say Sam Tomkins wasn’t effective in his games at fullback last year is again judging on expectation. The bloke got 5 try’s and 7 assists in 12 games so he got a try/assist per game. The best fullback in superleague got 11 try’s and 18 assists in 28 games so just a slightly better ratio. If you look at Escare he got 4 try’s and 3 assists in 13 games and another player people rave about in Jamie Shaul got 17 try’s and only 4 assists in 29 league fixtures. Those stats aren’t the be all and end all of course but it’s a major factor in any fullbacks game and I think we’d all agree that defensively Sam has really improved.

As I say I’d want him in the halves but he’s still a really good fullback. Those stats highlight how much performance vs expectation can distort people’s views.

Good post... . Just to add Tomkins was also playing in a team that we could see was not clicking and with few options being created. I imagine in a team going well he would up those stats, which we hope to see this season. I think he may move to the halves in the futute, longevity wise if hes injury clear, hes had very little rugby for three or more seasons?
Re: Squad Numbers Released
Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,905

That Mon wrote:
Good post... . Just to add Tomkins was also playing in a team that we could see was not clicking and with few options being created. I imagine in a team going well he would up those stats, which we hope to see this season. I think he may move to the halves in the futute, longevity wise if hes injury clear, hes had very little rugby for three or more seasons?

True. The guy was not only coming back off one very serious injury but two in a sense because he’d played very little in late 2015 or most of 2016. He’s had a full pre season now for the first time in years and I’m confident he can have a Big year in 2018 regardless of position.

His man of steel odds at 25/1 are very tempting!
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am
Posted by RichieS on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am
RichieS User avatar
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,905

I'm excited, team looks good...

T Davies will be immense this year, physically he is strong as an ox and mentally he is raring to go, the #2 shirt was earnt in pre-season, he has excelled beyond anyone's expectations! He has a great rapport with Sarge already! Whether or not some of the nay-sayers claim he won't get a pass all year, I see him making a huge impact this year.

Joel T also looks fit and strong...done a huge amount of work in the off season to get his body right, I don't see him missing many games with niggles...worthy of the 11 shirt IMO, I know he has his doubters but give him chance.
MusclePharm Brand Manager
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm
Posted by Jukesays on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 76,905

RichieS wrote:

T Davies will be immense this year, physically he is strong as an ox and mentally he is raring to go, the #2 shirt was earnt in pre-season, he has excelled beyond anyone's expectations! He has a great rapport with Sarge already! Whether or not some of the nay-sayers claim he won't get a pass all year, I see him making a huge impact this year.

Joel T also looks fit and strong...done a huge amount of work in the off season to get his body right, I don't see him missing many games with niggles...worthy of the 11 shirt IMO, I know he has his doubters but give him chance.

Really good to hear both those points (Source? :WHISTLE: :wink: - Mine says the same).

I am so impressed with Davies - From day 1 he reminded me of how Josh Charnley came into the team like a duck to water - His strength, maturity etc. are way ahead of what you'd expect of one so young.
I don't mind Marshall but when he was getting all the praise early/mid last season it was Davies for me that was catching the eye with his all round game. Budgie needs to take a look at his work ethic and try and match it (And Everyone who knows me knows what I think of Joe).
I still think Davies missing Wembley may have been the difference between a win and a loss.

Really good to hear about Joel T - I know a lot don't like him but I think as a "Squad" player he adds some size etc. and offers things the others don't. As I always say the More players fit and healthy and fighting for positions the better!
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:18 pm
Posted by DaveO on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:18 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,905

RichieS wrote:

Davis looks a great prospect and JT has always been one of my favourite players. When JT first came into the team he looked like a natural, like Budgie. Other players have to work at being an RL player and Sarge is a prime example of that.

Unfortunately JT, like TL and Lockers is another year older. The scepticism people have is down to how injury prone some players are (like Lockers appears to be) and the lack of form of players like JT, TL and certainly Sarge who was poor for us in 2016. There isn't a day goes by that we don't hear of someone "killing it" in training and Navarette is the latest one to get a mention. I get the club wants to paint a positive picture of the teams prospects for the upcoming season but we have heard all this "killing it" stuff before. I think most will only be convinced when they start to actually deliver on the pitch. If we see the JT of old and Sarge proves he can actually pass then great but the scepticism is understandable.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm
Posted by RichieS on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm
RichieS User avatar

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,905

DaveO wrote:
Davis looks a great prospect and JT has always been one of my favourite players. When JT first came into the team he looked like a natural, like Budgie. Other players have to work at being an RL player and Sarge is a prime example of that.

Unfortunately JT, like TL and Lockers is another year older. The scepticism people have is down to how injury prone some players are (like Lockers appears to be) and the lack of form of players like JT, TL and certainly Sarge who was poor for us in 2016. There isn't a day goes by that we don't hear of someone "killing it" in training and Navarette is the latest one to get a mention. I get the club wants to paint a positive picture of the teams prospects for the upcoming season but we have heard all this "killing it" stuff before. I think most will only be convinced when they start to actually deliver on the pitch. If we see the JT of old and Sarge proves he can actually pass then great but the scepticism is understandable.

Cannot comment on Romaine, the article today came as a bit of surprise to be fair as he was carrying an injury last time I saw him (first week of Jan), so he must've kicked on impressively in the last week.

JT will be rock solid this year, and I firmly believe we will see the best of him at SR. I cannot see many spells at prop as previously touted by some. I am sure Sarge will deliver, my only concern as you mention is him finding and maintaining form.

Have not seen much of S'OL or Tommy actually training, have heard a few things regards injuries but nothing direct so shouldn't comment. The JB finger situation has caused quite a bit of annoyance mind you!
MusclePharm Brand Manager
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 76,905

RichieS wrote:

Posted on another thread about Davies that he is an immense talent.
I have also been told that he has had great pre season so hopefully he can & will kick on.
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

NickyKiss wrote:
True. The guy was not only coming back off one very serious injury but two in a sense because he’d played very little in late 2015 or most of 2016. He’s had a full pre season now for the first time in years and I’m confident he can have a Big year in 2018 regardless of position.

His man of steel odds at 25/1 are very tempting!

Didn't know that. Worth a punt together with Farrell me thinks
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,905

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Didn't know that. Worth a punt together with Farrell me thinks

Labrokes judt releases their odds and he’s 33/1!

I’m definitely sticking a tenner on at that price.
Post Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:11 am
Posted by Phuzzy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:11 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Great to see a positive thread. I was beginning to think Wigan would be the suicide capital of the world this coming season! Haha.

Great options within that squad. Lots of 'ifs' but the possibilities are immense. We just need a good run with injuries and a willingness to experiment and adapt from the coaching staff.

Those odds on Sam are very tempting!
PreviousNext