WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Feeling a bit let down over Sydney

Board index Super League Eights Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Feeling a bit let down over Sydney

Re: Feeling a bit let down over Sydney
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 am
Posted by Edinburgh Warrior on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 am
Edinburgh Warrior User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,026

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58 am
Posts: 976
Location: counting the number of thursdays i will need off work
I hope the fans (both clubs) that travel over to Oz have the trip of a lifetime and that everything goes to plan .

Can't help feeling tho that the club is starting to ram this trip down the throats of they many that could not afford to travel also the others who don't travel for other reasons. The teams performance against Wire on return if not up to scratch could cause a bit of fallout with many fans (i hope not) especially if we take a tanking. This trip might make money but at what cost .

safe trip to all

Regards , EW
Regards , EW
Re: Feeling a bit let down over Sydney
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am
Posted by 100% Warrior on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am
100% Warrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,026

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 4762
Bigredwarrior wrote:
I think there are far more positives than negatives. Promoting the club in Australia will just showcase that we are a professional, ambitious and progressive club and if a decent Aussie player fancies a dabble in Superleague then ventures like this might just edge them to sign for us rather than an opponent.
Add to that the financial benefits to the club as well as all the free marketing in the worlds biggest RL supporting country and it seems to me a very worthwhile venture for the long term.
This fixture was arranged well before the SL fixtures were sorted and it’s just unfortunate that we have Warrington the week after. We can’t expect to be given special dispensation, nor would we want any.
We have a good squad and if used correctly, 3 wins is entirely possible (albeit unlikely).
I like the whole idea and it’ll be interesting to see if there are any benefits longer term.
I’d much rather do this and get rid of magic weekend, the concept of which I hate!!


This to replace Magic Weekend? Give over. The MM is absolutely brilliant and a fantastic weekend and method to showcase the sport,

You’ve mentioned about edging Aus/NZ players to sign for us rather than another SL side - I see that as completely irrelevant, SW wants a team of homegrown/developed players and he is quite near to getting that. Furthermore, if this is a other reason for the tour then it really is farcical.

I just cannot fathom why we go on this tour when we needed a big season off the back of what was essentially a poor season last year. I’m also flabbergasted at why we as Wigan feel the need to take on SL promotional roles - this tour, Millwall, Capital Challenge (aware it was Broncos before Wigan). That isn’t our job or our responsibility, it’s the RFL’s.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895


AshtonBearsARLFC
Re: Feeling a bit let down over Sydney
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 am
Posted by DaveO on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 am
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,026

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14237
Location: Chester

Aboveusonlypie wrote:
Just wondered if other season ticket holders felt like I do over this. I invest quite heavily in the club to the tune of 5 season tickets every year, which I am happy to do. We have great seats and the value, I believe, is good. But I feel a bit short changed this season. We paid the same price as last season for potentially one less game. I say potentially, because if we finish top 4 (or 9/10) then we will get 14 home games, but if we finish 5-8 (11/12) then we only get 13. In 2016 we had 15.

There is no way I can afford to go to Australia, it is just a non starter. But I feel justified in asking for the Salford away tickets in compensation, and I've written to Ian Lenagan to suggest this (I'm not expecting any reply).

A second point that I'm not happy about is sending the team to the other side of the world to play a home league game which disadvantages the team over the season because we are playing less home games, in effect than say Saints or Leeds. You don't see Leeds sending their fans to Sydney for a home game (or even worse - to Millwall!!!).

I usually support IL and I believe he is a good and responsible owner, but on this issue I can't get my head around any benefits for the club, who are effectively putting our players in the shop window again and also knackering them at the beginning of a long hard season.


It's not often you and I agree but I do agree with the above. There is obviously one home game less whichever way you look it at. If we get the "extra" home playoff game then had we not gone to Oz we'd have had the Wigan v Hull game at home as well! For me the worst aspect of the one less home game scenario is the way the club tried to pass it off as not the case if we got the extra home playoff game and that meant the price of season tickets this time were in effect frozen (as the extra home playoff game = same number of home fixtures overall) when in fact due to one less home league game they have really gone up in price. I can't remember the exact words but they really were disingenuous are were taking fans for mugs.

The reason why the club is doing this? Money. The club expects to make £400K out of it mainly from sponsorship. Probably will make a profit as well because if a loss was forecast I just can't see the club going ahead and I'd have expected it to be cancelled or just not got off the ground given the club made a £600K loss last season.

Is it part of some grand plan for SL and not just Wigan? I don't think so. It's opportunistic in that there aren't any Auckland 9's this year and so there is a gap in the calendar and therefore an opportunity there for a fixture and the friendlies.

Which brings me to the worst aspect of this mini-tour and that is the completely pointless friendly. What a complete and utter waste of time that is. Just an opportunity to pick up injuries and add to the fatigue of the trip in a totally meaningless game.

Maybe the club have reasoned that even if we lose to Wire on the teams return one loss won't matter in the grand scheme of things given the league structure. That might be true but if so it disrespects that fixture and just reinforces what I believe is a growing view that the league is a badly devalued part of the competition. They must surely have considered the effects of travelling and the friendly on the Wire game and have deemed it worth the risk.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Re: Feeling a bit let down over Sydney
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 am
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,026

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 1804
100% Warrior wrote:
This to replace Magic Weekend? Give over. The MM is absolutely brilliant and a fantastic weekend and method to showcase the sport,

You’ve mentioned about edging Aus/NZ players to sign for us rather than another SL side - I see that as completely irrelevant, SW wants a team of homegrown/developed players and he is quite near to getting that. Furthermore, if this is a other reason for the tour then it really is farcical.

I just cannot fathom why we go on this tour when we needed a big season off the back of what was essentially a poor season last year. I’m also flabbergasted at why we as Wigan feel the need to take on SL promotional roles - this tour, Millwall, Capital Challenge (aware it was Broncos before Wigan). That isn’t our job or our responsibility, it’s the RFL’s.


At no point did I say this should replace Magic weekend. I’d rather this than magic weekend which I really hate. The concept of it is in theory a good one but I despise the imbalance of the fixtures which is more likely to impact on a clubs season than playing a home game on the road.
I don’t subscribe to your ‘Shaun Wane only wants home grown players’ theory though as the club has clearly demonstrated that we will bring in players from anywhere if we can afford them and more importantly, if they will improve our squad. The fact is, it’s financially beneficial to have home grown players and we can’t get away from that in our salary capped sport.
I think your view on the Sydney fixtures is narrow minded but time will tell. If the club makes a profit in the long term then it will be worth doing and if not, it won’t.
As for promoting SL I disagree on that too. If the RFL aren’t doing it properly then we all as RL fans, clubs etc have esponsibility to promote the game as best we can. We can’t just sit back and let the RFL drive the game into the ground.
Re: Feeling a bit let down over Sydney
Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 pm
Posted by DaveO on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,026

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14237
Location: Chester

Bigredwarrior wrote:
At no point did I say this should replace Magic weekend. I’d rather this than magic weekend which I really hate. The concept of it is in theory a good one but I despise the imbalance of the fixtures which is more likely to impact on a clubs season than playing a home game on the road.
I don’t subscribe to your ‘Shaun Wane only wants home grown players’ theory though as the club has clearly demonstrated that we will bring in players from anywhere if we can afford them and more importantly, if they will improve our squad. The fact is, it’s financially beneficial to have home grown players and we can’t get away from that in our salary capped sport.
I think your view on the Sydney fixtures is narrow minded but time will tell. If the club makes a profit in the long term then it will be worth doing and if not, it won’t.
As for promoting SL I disagree on that too. If the RFL aren’t doing it properly then we all as RL fans, clubs etc have esponsibility to promote the game as best we can. We can’t just sit back and let the RFL drive the game into the ground.


I agree with your views on the Magic Weekend. I don't think it's ever made a profit (though I am not entirely sure about that, just recall reading it somewhere maybe in relation to something about Nigel Woods departure) and it stopped being a vehicle to expand the game after about two seasons once the novelty outside of RL circles wore off. The extra fixture is just daft.

I also don't think Wane or IL want an entirely homegrown squad. I also don't think in recent years we have been very successful in scouting for overseas players but I don't see this Sydney game doing anything to rectify that. It's a one off game that will be forgotten once the NRL season gets into full swing.

As for promoting SL the actions of individual clubs are never going to do that and certainly not by taking a game to the heartland of RL in Australia.

There is only one motivation for this trip and it is money. All the others mentioned, helping recruit players and promoting the game are at best an afterthought but more likely just dreamt up to help excuse the fixture and give it a more laudable reason to take place other than money.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anglesey Warrior, Father Ted, Google Adsense [Bot], Grimmy, J L Hooker, Last Son of Wigan, S_Riley, ShortArse, Suzy Banyon, The Whiffy Kipper, Trainman and 166 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,778,3251,74677,0264,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Sat 18th Aug 17:15
SUPER LEAGUE
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 31st Aug 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 6th Sep 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 14th Sep 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 21st Sep 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 28th Sep 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)







28