WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Micky Mac and Gelling Released - OFFICIAL

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Micky Mac and Gelling Released - OFFICIAL

Posted by Brick with eyes on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 pm
Brick with eyes User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 20th / 76,474

Quiz Score: 0

I would have shone at hooker in the World Cup against Wales , PNG and Italy
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 19th / 76,474

McIlorum has been at the club for so long that he's almost certainly one of our highest earners. His form over the last few years now probably hasn't been good enough to justify such a huge chunk of the salary cap going to him when we have several other options at hooker.

We played no better with McIlorum at hooker than with Powell. I know Powell has his issue but last year they were both inconsistent, rarely very good but when one played well the other didn't, and it often changed from week to week. I think Powell plays better when starting at hooker (as quite a few 9's do) rather than coming off the bench so I reckon we'll see more from him this year. Hopefully Leuluai does better at hooker than at scrum half. When he played hooker for us the last time round he was outstanding but it remains to be seen whether he's still good enough for Super League.

What I'm looking forward to more is the chance of Ganson breaking through. He's an exceptional hooker, did really well when he was given a chance in the first team and is such a clever player that he's exactly the sort of hooker we need. People say that McIlorum was stifled by Wigan's attacking play but Ganson was more effective in attack playing in the same system.

Powell should be more solid defensively. Last year must surely have busted the myth about McIlorum being so strong defensively. He missed tackles far too often and was exposed frequently as a result, both playing for Wigan and for Ireland in the world cup. Powell doesn't hit anywhere near as hard but his defence is more composed and disciplined.

Perhaps McIlorum will be a huge success at Catalans. It wouldn't surprise me but I just didn't see anything from him over the last few years to make me think he'd have been any better for us this year.
Posted by muttywhitedog on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:45 pm
muttywhitedog Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 20th / 76,474

Quiz Score: 676

moto748 wrote:
And we've managed fine without him for lengthy periods in the past.

We've managed without him for half a game pretty much every game last season due to his lack of stamina. No point having a part-time hooker on big wages when we have two others who can do his job.
Posted by moto748 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Hey, I'm not shedding any tears over MM! But as when any player leaves, you like to think he is being replaced with someone better. And the point about considering the opposition before praising him to the skies for the World Cup is a fair one. Ashton Sims looked good for Fiji in the World Cup; should we rush to sign him?
Re: Micky Mac Released
Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 pm
Posted by Ashton Bears on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 pm
Ashton Bears User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Rogues Gallery wrote:
The reason that clause was inserted into Gellings contract was to stop him doing a Joel Moon!!

Don't think that Gelling would do that not that sort of person.
Posted by Levrier on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Quiz Score: 20

It is a sad day when the manager of the Lloyds Bank is controlling our squad selection.
Posted by Grimmy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 5th / 76,474

Quiz Score: 468

DaveO wrote:
If Phil Wilkinson is right then that destroys IL's reputation as some sort of financial wizard because he's reduced the club to having to offload one of its best players

Since when was Mcilorum one of our best players? He's not even our best hooker. Having said that, I don't get the logic in this, surely there isn't time to take advantage of the cap space.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Re: Micky Mac Released
Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:36 pm
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:36 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 18th / 76,474

Quiz Score: 640

Ashton Bears wrote:
Don't think that Gelling would do that not that sort of person.

Salford didn't with Moon, Saints didn't either with Luke Walsh.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 18th / 76,474

Quiz Score: 640

I wonder if this is the start of a big change over the next 2 -3 years. Looking back at Wigan's most successful periods they very rarely kept players over the age of thirty. Even the likes of Hanley, Gregory, Lydon, Edwards etc were let go.
This has been a relatively young team that has evolved over the last ten years, but I expect there will be big changes in the next couple of seasons.
One thing they have done well is to bring the academy players through, it'll be interesting to see which ones make the grade and how many Wigan have to "bring in from the outside"
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Posted by jonh on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 17th / 76,474

Rogues Gallery wrote:
I wonder if this is the start of a big change over the next 2 -3 years. Looking back at Wigan's most successful periods they very rarely kept players over the age of thirty. Even the likes of Hanley, Gregory, Lydon, Edwards etc were let go.
This has been a relatively young team that has evolved over the last ten years, but I expect there will be big changes in the next couple of seasons.
One thing they have done well is to bring the academy players through, it'll be interesting to see which ones make the grade and how many Wigan have to "bring in from the outside"

Just having a conversation with a friend and discussed the impending player turnover I expect Wigan will have in the next 2-3 years.

Obviously Locky and TL will be finished and we will also be in a position to re-evaluate our marquee signings. If Williams plays like a marquee player he will be off to the NRL I expect regardless of what we through his way and I doubt Tomkins can expect marquee status next time around.

Bateman will be off within a year or 2, FPN will be gone, Joel’s contract can be renegotiated.

All these lads will be taking up a massive slice of the cap. Bringing players through but also bringing in real quality marquee signings will be a very important period for the club and how they manage that going forward. Massive opportunity but massive risks involved also.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
PreviousNext