WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Micky Mac and Gelling Released - OFFICIAL

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Micky Mac and Gelling Released - OFFICIAL

Posted by fleabag on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 pm
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Not too bothered with Gelling. But the release of McIlorum further weakens the pack for me. I only posted the other day that we need an 'enforcer' in there, a big prop probably. I am led to believe that McIlorum is a bit of an 'hard case' - that on it's own would have intimidated some opposition forwards. Old players like Brian McTigue certainly did that with his reputation.

If this is due to 'salary cap' then even my poor maths could do better as whom ever is doing the sums at the club is not doing very well.

The eve of a new season and further weakening ?
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Posted by Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,805

Quiz Score: 0

old frightful wrote:
I put a thread on your forum a week or so back asking about McIlorum and it was deleted.

Probably because we have a rumours thread at the top of the board and it was already being discussed widely in there.
Posted by moto748 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:14 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,805

I guess I'm in the small minority who think that Gelling is a bigger loss than MM. For me, we have three decent (if not amazing) options to replace MM. And we've managed fine without him for lengthy periods in the past. We can't say the same for Gelling.
Posted by CobraCraig on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 pm
CobraCraig Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I agree with you Moto,Gelling was average at best last season but he was clearly playing injured for the most of it.I had him down for a big season.
Posted by The Whiffy Kipper on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:25 pm
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,805

At last, an announcement
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Posted by old frightful on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm
old frightful User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Quiz Score: 224

Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
Probably because we have a rumours thread at the top of the board and it was already being discussed widely in there.

Okay, thanks.

Perhaps it might have been better had a mod replied suggesting as much then locking it, at least I'd have known then.

No mischief intended, never thought I'd see the day McIlorum wore anything but a Wigan shirt at club level, I'm amazed.
Hull KR Chairman Neil Hudgell, August 26th, 2014 said..

"In fact, the days of us signing any players from across the river are over. Our fans are loyal, passionate and only interested in one club. Taking players from our nearest rivals doesn't fit in with that brief."
Posted by DaveO on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,805

NickyKiss wrote:
That’s the key point for me.

If several clubs were interested then that tells its own tale. On the other hand I presume we’ve had no interest in Leuluai or Powell and clearly none in the likes of Nuuausala or Tautai so we’re sat here making do.

Phil Wilkinson says we were very close to the cap with Micky Mac but we do now have some room so it surprises me a little that he’s been let go. Micky Mac has already hinted it was Wigan who told him he was leaving and not the other way round.

If Phil Wilkinson is right then that destroys IL's reputation as some sort of financial wizard because he's reduced the club to having to offload one of its best players due to obviously paying far too many average players far too much money. Instead of being pleased with his return to form it's been used as a big "for sale" sign (though I know we let him leave for free, you get the point) and is left having to convince the fans to accept second best.

The ideal scenario now is that Ganson bangs the door down and becomes the creative hooker many have been crying out for but I’d have rather seen him do that in tandem with a tough nugget of a hooker like Micky Mac.

The way MM played for Ireland suggests the only reason he wasn't more creative at Wigan was he was told not to be. Wane will have Powell, Ganson and TL playing the same way.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Posted by hatty on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

How come wigan knew about Gelling and it would now appear Mcilorum quite sometime before Christmas yet decide to only publicise this once the season ticket deadline had passed. Yet again the fans are treated like fools.
1998,2010,2013 & 2016.....I was there
Posted by NSW on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Sad about Gelling, think he’s a better centre than Sarginson. But this is the risk you take with overseas players - 6 years has been a good stint.

Some may disagree but I feel the decision on McIlorum was correct.

Despite a good showing in the World Cup, his performance at Wigan was quite average. Only doing 20min stints.

His contract was up after this year, think the club had no interest in giving him a new deal at age 30. So out of respect let him go find a good 2 year deal.

Better let him go a season too soon that a season too late.

Going forward I like the look of this spine compared to last year

1.) Escare
6.) Williams
7.) STomkins
9.) Lealuai
13.) Lockers

14.) Powell

Back up - Mullen, Sharrocks, Gason

Great servant to Wigan though Micky, one of the toughest S.O.Bs to ever wear the shirt. His try in the 2013 grand final and his performance against Leeds at the Magic in 2014 will always be remembered by me.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Posted by Wigan Peer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 pm
Wigan Peer User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

NSW!!!!

Get with the program, you are ONLY suppose to post criticism, of absolutely anything that happens..

:)
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper.

Big Steve wrote:
The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them.

aboveusonlypie...
If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.
PreviousNext