WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Manfredi- no return in sight.

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Manfredi- no return in sight.

Re: Manfredi- no return in sight.
Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:14 am
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:14 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 6th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

I really hope he comes back as good as he was. If all four of your wingers are fit and in form, who would be the top two? Longer term would any of them be a good bet to make it elsewhere like centre/full back?
Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:29 am
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:29 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 11th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 28

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
I really hope he comes back as good as he was. If all four of your wingers are fit and in form, who would be the top two? Longer term would any of them be a good bet to make it elsewhere like centre/full back?

It's debatable, but I think most would agree that, when fit and in form, Manfredi is the best of the four and Marshall is the worst.

Between Burgess and Davies - it depends what you are looking for really. I'd pick Davies because of his outstanding workrate, he makes massive metres every game which takes pressure off everyone else. Plus he has only played one season, so more likely to improve further. Burgess gets through much less work, however, he is a better finisher, has better ball skills, and is obviously far more experienced.

Burgess is the most versatile of the four, he played a bit of centre last season, and I recall him playing full back once or twice in the past. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him at centre again next season if injuries kick in as we don't really have much depth there.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Far better news - hope it all goes well and he can make it back around that time.

Out of the four, Marshall is a way behind the other three for me. Good finisher but maybe doesn't have that physical presence which helps to make metres and defend strongly.

Davies and Manfredi are possibly quite similar - both great athletes, strong, can break a tackle and relatively quick.

Burgess gets on my nerves to be honest. Probably the most natural and skilful talent and certainly the quickest if he's fully fit. But he comes across as very arrogant - his attitude and work rate needs to improve drastically otherwise I would want Davies and Manfredi as the starting wingers.
Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm
Posted by NSW on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Our best winger when fit. Remember he was in the man of steel running after the first few months of 2016.

Burgess I think was carrying at injury last year, I expect him to improve this year.

Davies was a great find, needs to work on finishing.

Marshall great finisher, just kick defence is his issue.

Great problem to have if we have all 4 fit!
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:04 pm
Posted by Salty on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:04 pm
Salty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

apollosghost wrote:
Great news for him and the team, as an aside if I were Tom Davies or Liam Marshall I would be practicing goal kicking every day, the wing spots are going to get very competitive, give Sean Wane another reason to pick you.

Will all four wingers ever be fit at the same time? This is Wigan that we are talking about. I think we need a squad of 60!
Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,383

MadDogg wrote:
Far better news - hope it all goes well and he can make it back around that time.

Out of the four, Marshall is a way behind the other three for me. Good finisher but maybe doesn't have that physical presence which helps to make metres and defend strongly.

Davies and Manfredi are possibly quite similar - both great athletes, strong, can break a tackle and relatively quick.

[/color[color=#FF0040]]Burgess gets on my nerves to be honest. Probably the most natural and skilful talent and certainly the quickest if he's fully fit. But he comes across as very arrogant - his attitude and work rate needs to improve drastically otherwise I would want Davies and Manfredi as the starting wingers.

This is bang on for me Dogg. I got the impression of a player last season that was collecting good wages thinking he didn't have to work hard to earn them. I know he had some injury problems last season though so he gets the benefit of the doubt and i expect at least 25% more next term. The same applies with Williams, he dragged us into a couple of games last season and his skill is there for everyone to see but there is major improvement needed on last season's performances. I would like to see a return of form to the standard he was producing when he was playing for his big contract when he played out of his skin every week.

On the Manfredi subject. He is a brilliant winger and Davies is there to stay for me. I am assuming that Sam is going into the halves and Escare is going to full back. If Escare has a poor season and Manfredi comes back fit then thats where i would put him. His power, kick returns, positional play and calmness under the high ball screams a full back to me, i don't know what you guys think but i think he is tailor made for it.
Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:13 am
Posted by Wigg'n on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:13 am
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 20

FB isn’t just about running the ball back and fielding kicks. There’s no way Manfredi would be on the same level as Tomkins or Escare as a pivot/play-making FB without years of work and a lot of our structure comes through that.
Post Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:24 pm
Posted by Pieman on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:24 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,383

he took to the wing ok after being a LF
Previous