WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RLWC2017 - England v. France Report

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com RLWC2017 - England v. France Report

RLWC2017 - England v. France Report
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:01 pm
Posted by RLFANS News Hound on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

RLWC2017 - England v. France Report

The maths were simple as England took on France in the second game of the Perth double-header. A French win by sixteen points would see them overtake Lebanon for third place, and a quarter final place, and thirty-two to overtake England into second. An unthinkable forty-seven point French victory would put England on the plane home.

Coach Wayne Bennett sprang a few surprises in the England line-up as he looked to give a run out to some of his squad players and offer them a chance to play themselves into the quarter final seventeen.

Expectations were high that England would discover some World Cup form.

READ MORE ON THIS STORY...

RLFANS.COM news items are posted in forums where it is thought that they will be of interest to the readership, all comments made below will also be available for viewing through the front page.
Re: RLWC2017 - England v. France Report
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 4

I'd love to see Navarette get himself fitter and for us to show some faith in him. He rattled some of the big England lads in that second half.
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:38 pm
Posted by hatty on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:38 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
I'd love to see Navarette get himself fitter and for us to show some faith in him. He rattled some of the big England lads in that second half.

It was his decision to go back to France
1998,2010,2013 & 2016.....I was there
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:42 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:42 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Quiz Score: 20

How many players have we had go home “unsettled”? Seems to be an issue than Wane/Rads need to deal with.
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:44 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:44 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Quiz Score: 4

hatty wrote:
It was his decision to go back to France

Yeah apparently so. They mentioned home sickness but not playing couldn't have helped. The lad looked totally brassed off away at Leigh when he was subbed after playing about ten mins (he was dreadful though). Whatever his issues are, it's a shame because there's a really good player in there somewhere. I'm guessing he may not train as hard as he could because his fitness looks poor (even though he doesn't look in bad shape).
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm
Posted by hatty on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
Yeah apparently so. They mentioned home sickness but not playing couldn't have helped. The lad looked totally brassed off away at Leigh when he was subbed after playing about ten mins (he was dreadful though). Whatever his issues are, it's a shame because there's a really good player in there somewhere. I'm guessing he may not train as hard as he could because his fitness looks poor (even though he doesn't look in bad shape).

I agree with you, great potential but if his heart and it would seem his head were back in France then there's not a great deal you can do, this would account for him playing poorly as well no doubt.
I also agree with Wigg'n the club needs to address the "settling in period"
1998,2010,2013 & 2016.....I was there
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 pm
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 pm
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Back on topic. The game itself was very boring. Not enough strike players in the right positions etc but i will take that as an experimental game. See how everyone goes and all that but i thought the idea of the mid season excursions were to get a good idea of who would be ready. To be honest i agree with Singield and Wilkin to a certain extent. It was a bit of a nothing game which we were always going to win but Mr. Schofield (as much as he annoys me) made a good point in the paper this week. The coach should know his best team by now and giving players a 2 week rest is not a good idea. PNG are no push overs and neither are an extremely good Tonga side so his team should have already been selected before this really. Im not complaining because i think Gale has been woeful and Brown showed today that he is better equipped imo as Percival should be at centre as opposed to Bateman. Did himself no harm today Percy. One of the better players. Begs the question though, i know he hasn't been ripping up trees but Sam T should absolutely walk into that no.1 jersey and that would solve the obvious issue they have now. Not taking any extra backs was criminal and most of us said that. I bet Bennett was having kittens when McGilvarry went down. Lots of improvement needed but we are capable. Thought Scott Taylor was superb when he came on. Much better than Hill or Walmsley.

Roby is 10x the player Hodgson is and can do 80 mins with ease so no need for a hooker on the bench. Roby walks all over him. Heightington is a joke selection and shouldn't even be in the squad let alone the team, same with Whitehead. Roby to do a full 80, Percival in at centre and Bateman back to the second row.. If he wanted a good strong, ball playing centre why didn't he take Cudjoe? (baffling)

anyway a team like this for me...

1. Ratchford
2. McGilvarry
3. Percival
4. Watkins
5. Hall
6. Brown
7. Widdop
8. Graham
9. Roby
10. T. Burgess
11. Bateman