WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Posted by Aboveusonlypie on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:52 pm
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 1947
Grimmy wrote:
Typo?

You don't think Josh is a better player than Escare? He wants to come back to Wigan. I'd prefer him to come here than go to Warrington.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Posted by Grimmy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:24 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 12639
Aboveusonlypie wrote:
You don't think Josh is a better player than Escare? He wants to come back to Wigan. I'd prefer him to come here than go to Warrington.

I think he has never played full back, and that we have two quality full backs and three or four quality wingers. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but he isn't what we are short of. If we do have cap space (which I doubt), we should be prioritising a scrum half or a prop IMO, and open to offers on one of our wingers if it helps create cap space.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by ComeOnYouWolves on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:09 pm
ComeOnYouWolves User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 1868
I dont know if there is anything in this Charnley to Warrington rumour. Seems to have been started by someone on the message boards some days ago. I know its had a little bit of press but im not sure if its real or come from message board chatter. It also seems to have intensified since Sale have signed that other winger, again paper talk or true, i dont know.

Would be strange if he did sign for us considering the stick he always got from the wire fans. Having said that, he is a quality winger, better than what we have.

Looking at the Wigan squad, he is not a player you require. If you do get him can we have one of your other wingers? ps id rather have him back in league than sat wasting away in union
Posted by Aboveusonlypie on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:32 pm
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 1947
Grimmy wrote:
I think he has never played full back, and that we have two quality full backs and three or four quality wingers. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but he isn't what we are short of. If we do have cap space (which I doubt), we should be prioritising a scrum half or a prop IMO, and open to offers on one of our wingers if it helps create cap space.

Completely agree with you about needing a scrum half and a prop.

My post was partly tongue in cheek (BTW Josh has appeared at fullback for Wigan albeit only once or twice), but partly to emphasise my view that I believe people have overrated Morgan Escare, and gone totally overboard after being pleasantly surprised by him last season.

He was awful in his last two years at Catalan after a promising start. He made a promising start with us after no doubt a lot of coaching input, but I feel he was already starting to regress when he got injured. IMO he's not good enough to have the starters jersey at Wigan.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:52 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 21373
Location: WIGAN
I remember a game away at Huddersfield where Charnley played fullback. He wasn't too bad but that ship has sailed for us and we don't need him back.

A couple of props are a must. A proper scrum half is also a must for me but that looks to have been ruled out. If we get enough go forward from the front row, maybe we can fix up and make do with what we have.
Posted by The Whiffy Kipper on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:53 pm
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am
Posts: 150
He's more arsed about farming and his big union paycheck than he is about a return to league
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 pm
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:46 pm
Posts: 697
ComeOnYouWolves wrote:
I dont know if there is anything in this Charnley to Warrington rumour. Seems to have been started by someone on the message boards some days ago. I know its had a little bit of press but im not sure if its real or come from message board chatter. It also seems to have intensified since Sale have signed that other winger, again paper talk or true, i dont know.

Would be strange if he did sign for us considering the stick he always got from the wire fans. Having said that, he is a quality winger, better than what we have.

Looking at the Wigan squad, he is not a player you require. If you do get him can we have one of your other wingers? ps id rather have him back in league than sat wasting away in union



He would certainly be a good addition to what is looking like a very exciting re-shaping of the Warrington side. He would easily slot into your side. I reckon the rumour has legs. I can see it happening. We don't need him here but if he comes back with the same pace you have got yourself one hell of a finisher no doubt, He also brings strength.
Posted by The Whiffy Kipper on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:51 pm
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am
Posts: 150
Charnley left Wigan and League because he wanted to spend more time on the farm and less time training, he was offered a big paycheck with less training time to go to union, he is not coming back to league
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 3122
We certainly need another centre. There's no competition, we have really 2, Gelling and Gildart. Neither are world beaters to say the least. One is little more than a kid and the other has moment of excellence and moments of madness.

In light of Charnley, I'd sooner look to another ex Wigan player, Dan Sarg. He's a better FB than Escare and would increase competition for places in the centre.

Personally Ratchford is someone I've always wanted at Wigan, he'd still be a good signing for us, can play anywhere from 1-7 and fill in at 9.

But I agree, a 7 is a must. Personally, with no exaggeration, I honestly believe Tommy is the worse 7 in SL.
Posted by ss warrior on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:39 pm
ss warrior Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 34
Location: Wigan
1. Escare
6. Williams
7. S.Tomkins

Get Sam controlling that right edge where he was previously devastating when chiming into the line, plus I think Sam can organise better than Leuluai
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fleabag and 38 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,664,58155876,3494,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 05:00
World Cup: Semi Final
ENGLAND
v
TONGA
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM