WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Posted by NickyKiss on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:50 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

It isn't about Escare being better then Tomkins at fullback that makes me want him in that shirt, it's the fact that Escare is a better fullback then Tommy is a scrum half IMO and Sam will bring as much, if not more, at halfback then what he now does at fullback with him lacking his old pace. In turn Leuluai is a better hooker then he is scrum half so it seems our best option.

Ideally we'd sign a proper scrum half but I've resigned myself to the fact that ain't happening.
Posted by stpatricks on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:43 pm
stpatricks User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Grimmy wrote:
Escare isn't creative enough...... so stick him in the key creative position in the team?

If you use a quote try reading it, I stated he was not as creative at fullback as Tomkins, very few players are. That doesn't mean he couldn't play in the halfs.
Wigan home of league
Posted by stpatricks on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:44 pm
stpatricks User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Grimmy wrote:
Escare isn't creative enough...... so stick him in the key creative position in the team?

If you use a quote try reading it, I stated he was not as creative at fullback as Tomkins, very few players are. That doesn't mean he couldn't play in the halfs.
Wigan home of league
Posted by Grimmy on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:28 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

stpatricks wrote:

I think you are underestimating the importance of the position, particularly when partnered by Williams. Whoever plays scrum half for us next year needs to be our key organiser, directing our attack. No way would I give it to someone who has never played that position, and speaks limited English. S.Tomkins, Powell and Shorrocks are all better options there IMO. Escare at FB was one of few things that worked really well last season, there are plenty of other areas more deserving of change.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by DP_wwrlfc on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 pm
DP_wwrlfc User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I’d like to see us go ...

1. Tomkins
6. williams
7. Powell
9.McLlorum
14. Leuluai

Escare did pretty well at the beginning of last year but to me he still looks like he’s a couple of errors away from a Liam Marshall esque breakdown. He a great backup to have imo but I would t be happy with him as first choice one going into a full season.
Posted by Aboveusonlypie on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

My feeling is that Escare's form was starting to dip even before he got injured. He was poor against Catalans at home for example. I think we have seen the best of him. However, I do agree with others on here that Sam should be played in the halves. If that does free up a place at Full back I would rather see Josh Charnley there than Morgan Escare to be honest.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Posted by Grimmy on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:15 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Aboveusonlypie wrote:
Josh Charnley

Typo?
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:51 pm
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Grimmy wrote:
Typo?

I think it was supposed to say James Tedesco, It's easily done :lol: :lol:

My tuppence worth is,

1. Escare
6. Sam T
7. Williams
9. Tommy

It won't happen because Mickey Mac is un-droppable even though he is the least effective hooker in the league. Escare IMO did more than enough at full back to have that no.1 jersey. He may not be able to create more than Sam but can WITH Sam. He showed us all that he isn't afraid of throwing his body at the props. He is pretty safe under the high ball, he can kick and he can get the ball out to the 20m line and further a lot quicker than Sam can gaining us valuable field position. I would love to see Tommy at 9 for 1 season and Danny Walker from Widnes as his protege. A proper scampering hooker who can zip through a gap in the blink of an eye. When was the last time we had one of those?
Posted by JWarriors on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 pm
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Cherry_Warrior wrote:
I think it was supposed to say James Tedesco, It's easily done :lol: :lol:

My tuppence worth is,

1. Escare
6. Sam T
7. Williams
9. Tommy

It won't happen because Mickey Mac is un-droppable even though he is the least effective hooker in the league. Escare IMO did more than enough at full back to have that no.1 jersey. He may not be able to create more than Sam but can WITH Sam. He showed us all that he isn't afraid of throwing his body at the props. He is pretty safe under the high ball, he can kick and he can get the ball out to the 20m line and further a lot quicker than Sam can gaining us valuable field position. I would love to see Tommy at 9 for 1 season and Danny Walker from Widnes as his protege. A proper scampering hooker who can zip through a gap in the blink of an eye. When was the last time we had one of those?

I really really rate Walker. Would love us to sign him. It was great when he got stuck into Hill too, he never backs down. He could be great in the future
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Just reminds me of Roby. Imagine having a Roby for 10 years or so
PreviousNext