WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk Would you pick Tomkins or Escare at full back for 2018?

Posted by Pie Eyed on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:46 pm
Pie Eyed User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Escare at #1 for me (and we regain a kicker)

Sam in the halves (probably at #6, to allow George to go back to being a #7)
No trees were harmed during the creation of this post.
However, a number of electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Saint94 wrote "Every team is in your feckin shadow....we all know." - Amen to that, brother
Saddened! wrote "We've got the worst backline in the competition, bar possibly London and Wakey. I'd swap our 1-7 with Salford in a heartbeat."
Posted by hengirl on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:47 pm
hengirl Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

NickyKiss wrote:
1-Escare
6-Tomkins (Williams at 7)
9-Leuluai

Thats what should happen, but I doubt it will.
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:40 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Does anyone have a sense as to what Shaun Wane and Ian Lenagan think about the choice? Have they offered any clues?
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2019!

Avignon for Championship in 2020, Super League in 2021!
Posted by Wigg'n on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 am
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Does anyone have a sense as to what Shaun Wane and Ian Lenagan think about the choice? Have they offered any clues?

Wane has a history of saying “it’s x’s job to win the shirt back”, so I’d guess Tomkins will start the season at FB and Escare will have to show he’s better than him somehow.
Posted by Cherry_&_White on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Like others, I'd like to see Sam return to the halves, but if it's a straight choice between the two, then it's still Tomkins by a distance for me.

Escare was playing very well before his injury, but still nowhere near as effective as ST for me, even if he's a different player to what he was.
Posted by JWarriors on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 am
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

My unpopular opinion of the day.

How good Escare was for us has been largely overrated. He looked good because he is fast, but he doesn't have the creative capabilities of Tomkins from the fullback position when he joins the line.
Posted by stpatricks on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:26 pm
stpatricks User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

JWarriors wrote:
My unpopular opinion of the day.

How good Escare was for us has been largely overrated. He looked good because he is fast, but he doesn't have the creative capabilities of Tomkins from the fullback position when he joins the line.

Escare was better than i thought he would be but no where as creative as Tomkins can be from the back. Like a previous poster maybe look at Escare at 7 he has a good boot on him and could do a Burrows type role for Wigan. Lualuai was good for the Kiwis at 9 but Mcllurom had a very good game for Ireland. Plenty of options around hooker and half its just getting the right balance
Wigan home of league
Posted by JWarriors on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:33 pm
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

stpatricks wrote:
Escare was better than i thought he would be but no where as creative as Tomkins can be from the back.

Thats exactly why Escare's time at Wigan thus far has been overrated. In reality we got him because Catalans no longer wanted him, and people weren't expecting much. He was good (I'm not saying otherwise), but Tomkins offered much more. The reason some people don't see it like this is because we expected a lot more from Tomkins, and he gave us less than our initial expectations. Whereas Escare exceeded (his much lower) expectations and took us by surprise.
Posted by Grimmy on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:17 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

stpatricks wrote:
Escare was better than i thought he would be but no where as creative as Tomkins can be from the back. Like a previous poster maybe look at Escare at 7 he has a good boot on him and could do a Burrows type role for Wigan. Lualuai was good for the Kiwis at 9 but Mcllurom had a very good game for Ireland. Plenty of options around hooker and half its just getting the right balance

Escare isn't creative enough...... so stick him in the key creative position in the team?
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by Cherry_&_White on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 pm
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

JWarriors wrote:
Thats exactly why Escare's time at Wigan thus far has been overrated. In reality we got him because Catalans no longer wanted him, and people weren't expecting much. He was good (I'm not saying otherwise), but Tomkins offered much more. The reason some people don't see it like this is because we expected a lot more from Tomkins, and he gave us less than our initial expectations. Whereas Escare exceeded (his much lower) expectations and took us by surprise.

This is exactly how I see it. There's a definite loss of pace there, but I can see Sam developing into a much better version of Luke Dorn in his time at Cas. Not the quickest over a sprint, but has the brain & guile to be very dangerous, and can play a bigger role in organising the team than he did in his early 20s.

That said, Escare definitely contributed more at full back last year than Tommy did at 7, so moving Sam into the halves is probably still my preferred option.
PreviousNext