WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Bateman interview
Re: Bateman interview
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:35 am
Posted by Phuzzy on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:35 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
McGulvary was a deserved MoM yesterday but to say he's world class after 1 good performances is what's laughable mate. As I said, it depends on your definition of world class and mine is as follows. If I choose a worlds best 13 then they're what I'd call world class. McGilveray is a good player but would get near my worlds best 13.

Can I just say that's a ludicrous way to decide what constitutes 'World Class'. Are you saying there can be only 2 world class props or 1 world class stand off? That's ridiculous! Wally Lewis and Brett Kenny both played 6 in the same era. Are you seriously suggesting only 1 of those was world class? Ditto Peter Sterling and Alfie Langer. History is littered with multiple world class players competing for the same jumper...and that's before we get to the world class players from other teams. World Class is ANY player who competes at the highest level on the world stage. Simple.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:34 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:34 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Phuzzy wrote:
Can I just say that's a ludicrous way to decide what constitutes 'World Class'. Are you saying there can be only 2 world class props or 1 world class stand off? That's ridiculous! Wally Lewis and Brett Kenny both played 6 in the same era. Are you seriously suggesting only 1 of those was world class? Ditto Peter Sterling and Alfie Langer. History is littered with multiple world class players competing for the same jumper...and that's before we get to the world class players from other teams. World Class is ANY player who competes at the highest level on the world stage. Simple.

I didn't ask you to agree with me did I? If you were to pick a world 13 then yes, there would only be 2 props, 1 scrum half etc. The ones chosen would be world class in the choosers opinion. The others would not be in the world 13 because others are better than them, again in the chooser's opinion. I define world class as the best in the world in their position. How you choose to define it is up to you!
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 pm
Posted by jonh on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

McGillvray’s stats from Friday included over 200m gained from 21 carries, 5 clean breaks, 2 attacking kicks an a try.

This is against the best team in the World.

Those are ridiculously good numbers, dare I say it. World class?
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:18 pm
Posted by moto748 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:18 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Salty wrote:
I think England are looking better because a number of our players are playing in the NRL.
I wish we had another dozen players of international class playing over there. I would gladly Wigan not win any trophies next year if England could win the World Cup. I suppose that’s an easy offer to make as I don’t think we will win anything ( still buying my season ticket and cheering them on.
Just wondering which players would make it big over there.
Obviously Roby but he’s too old to go now. Ward from Leeds? Williams? Percival and Bateman( both would need to bulk up)? McMeeken?

Yeah, let's just destroy SL altogether just so England can be a bit more competitive in a couple of matches per season...

We are leaking too many players as it is.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

jonh wrote:
McGillvray’s stats from Friday included over 200m gained from 21 carries, 5 clean breaks, 2 attacking kicks an a try.

You'd have to think the worlds biggest clubs will be looking at him after Friday. He is one of those lads who plays better the bigger the game is and he'd go really well in the NRL.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:59 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:59 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

jonh wrote:

He’s probably world class but you said him and Hall are “comfortably” the 2 best wingers in the World which is clearly not the case and there’s a clear distinction between the two criteria.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:10 pm
Posted by jonh on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:10 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Wigg'n wrote:
He’s probably world class but you said him and Hall are “comfortably” the 2 best wingers in the World which is clearly not the case and there’s a clear distinction between the two criteria.

I think Hall has again shown every time he has played at th top level of international rugby he has been one of the best performers on the field usually in a comfortably beaten team.

Would love to know his try scoring ratio at internatin level against the Kiwis and Aussies.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:53 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:53 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

[quote="Bigredwarrior"]I didn't ask you to agree with me did I? If you were to pick a world 13 then yes, there would only be 2 props, 1 scrum half etc. The ones chosen would be world class in the choosers opinion. The others would not be in the world 13 because others are better than them, again in the chooser's opinion. I define world class as the best in the world in their position. How you choose to define it is up to you![/quote
Is this a serious answer? So if YOU defined World class as only the best player who ever played the game then the rest of us would just have to accept it? You've put on a public forum your definition of world class as if it's some sort if definitive definition and your reply when it's challenged is 'I didn't ask you to agree'? Too right I didn't agree because it's total nonsense!
Answer me the question I posed: Were Brett Kenny and Wally Lewis both world class in your opinion and, if not, which one wasn't?
Post Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:48 pm
Posted by The_Enforcer on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:48 pm
The_Enforcer Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

McGillveray always plays really well for England but looks just ok for Huddersfield when ive seen him
Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:21 am
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:21 am
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The_Enforcer wrote:
McGillveray always plays really well for England but looks just ok for Huddersfield when ive seen him

In a nutshell.

I agree. Good player yes, Uses his size very well from short distances. Not a patch on at least 10 i could name though. A fully fit Manfredi is also better imo.

In my opinion of course. And to the poster who suggested that i think Addo-Carr is good because of a highlights video. Not so. I have seen him play the full 80 many times, I just posted that link up to show the ones who may not have seen him. He plays like that every game. He will end up one of the greatest wingers of all time, mark my words.
PreviousNext