WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Bateman interview
Re: Bateman interview
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:40 am
Posted by jonh on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:40 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Wingers need to do more than just finish in the modern game. Hall and McGillvray make massive yards, and string under the high balls can tackle and finish.

People need to stop judging players off a highlights film and look at the bigger picture.

It is great seeing a winger put into space and given a run to the line, happens less and less often the higher up the standards you go.

I apologise for being overzealous last night with my remarks however i am sick to death of British fans talking down the sport our team yesterday who in the second half were superb and our players.

Hall and McGillvray are world class wingers, they have proven it at the top level consistently now for a number of years.

Between the laughable administration and the “supporters” of our code constantly talking our athletes down it is no wonder the game is struggling along.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:33 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:33 am
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I watched the game yesterday and the performance of McGilveray was solid at best. He cleared the ball dead a few times and took a few drives. I didn't see anything world class at all. In fact the drives by Holmes were far stronger than either McGilveray or Hall.
To describe them as world class wingers is miles off for me. If you pick your worlds best 13 (that's how I'd describe world class) , neither would be even considered.
We never looked like winning and after the first try, we never looked like scoring. It's a good job the aussies were off their game or we'd have been hammered again. Good goal line defence from our lads was the only real positive.
Last edited by Bigredwarrior on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 am
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

jonh wrote:
Wingers need to do more than just finish in the modern game. Hall and McGillvray make massive yards, and string under the high balls can tackle and finish.

People need to stop judging players off a highlights film and look at the bigger picture.

It is great seeing a winger put into space and given a run to the line, happens less and less often the higher up the standards you go.

I apologise for being overzealous last night with my remarks however i am sick to death of British fans talking down the sport our team yesterday who in the second half were superb and our players.

Hall and McGillvray are world class wingers, they have proven it at the top level consistently now for a number of years.

Between the laughable administration and the “supporters” of our code constantly talking our athletes down it is no wonder the game is struggling along.

Interesting comments given how loudly and frequently you talk down your own club.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:14 am
Posted by jonh on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:14 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I’m highlighting the glaring issues with the club, not talking down top class players or undermining the sport because I don’t understand the sport or the fact one of the players does t play for my club.

I also don’t skate the players. I think we have a more than capable squad to compete and lift trophies, I have been highlighting the style of play and mentality of the coaching staff for a couple of years now like others and increasingly supporters and the club seem to acknowledge that.

I am 100% an internationalist to see a competitive England side is far more important to me than seeing a successful Wigan.

Claiming Jerry Mc’s yesterday as some have wasn’t world class is laughable. He was voted players and coaches man of the match.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

jonh wrote:
I’m highlighting the glaring issues with the club, not talking down top class players or undermining the sport because I don’t understand the sport or the fact one of the players does t play for my club.

I also don’t skate the players. I think we have a more than capable squad to compete and lift trophies, I have been highlighting the style of play and mentality of the coaching staff for a couple of years now like others and increasingly supporters and the club seem to acknowledge that.

I am 100% an internationalist to see a competitive England side is far more important to me than seeing a successful Wigan.

Claiming Jerry Mc’s yesterday as some have wasn’t world class is laughable. He was voted players and coaches man of the match.

McGulvary was a deserved MoM yesterday but to say he's world class after 1 good performances is what's laughable mate. As I said, it depends on your definition of world class and mine is as follows. If I choose a worlds best 13 then they're what I'd call world class. McGilveray is a good player but would get near my worlds best 13.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:51 am
Posted by jonh on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:51 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Named Worlds best winger last year and has been a stand out player for England every time he has played. Hardly judging him off the back of “one good game”.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:12 pm
Posted by moto748 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:12 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I remember saying a while back that Ryan Hall, the WBW (!) is more like Josh Mansour. And I wasn't being facetious. Mansour, like Hall, is a big strong lad who carries the ball out of defence well and is a good finisher. But he's nowhere near being considered the best winger in the world. Same with Hall.

McGillvary certainly looked very good for England yesterday. I hope his good form continues. If it does, the NRL will surely come knocking. And that will be another of our best players lost from SL.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm
Posted by jonh on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

moto748 wrote:
I remember saying a while back that Ryan Hall, the WBW (!) is more like Josh Mansour. And I wasn't being facetious. Mansour, like Hall, is a big strong lad who carries the ball out of defence well and is a good finisher. But he's nowhere near being considered the best winger in the world. Same with Hall.

McGillvary certainly looked very good for England yesterday. I hope his good form continues. If it does, the NRL will surely come knocking. And that will be another of our best players lost from SL.

They have knocked a few times. He is highly unlikley to move overseas, his son is in the Man City youth system and is very well thought of.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:25 pm
Posted by moto748 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:25 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Pleased to hear it. I hope you're right.
Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:24 pm
Posted by Salty on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:24 pm
Salty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I think England are looking better because a number of our players are playing in the NRL.
I wish we had another dozen players of international class playing over there. I would gladly Wigan not win any trophies next year if England could win the World Cup. I suppose that’s an easy offer to make as I don’t think we will win anything ( still buying my season ticket and cheering them on.
Just wondering which players would make it big over there.
Obviously Roby but he’s too old to go now. Ward from Leeds? Williams? Percival and Bateman( both would need to bulk up)? McMeeken?
PreviousNext