WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New Signing: Gabriel Hamlin (Official)

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk New Signing: Gabriel Hamlin (Official)

Posted by jonh on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:57 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Had a look at him on YouTube and he looks like he has a style that suits the English game.

Decent feet and good straight up and down defender.

The obvious issue is once again the size or rather the lack of it. He is hardly going to add much weight to an already lightweight pack. As a Prop I don't see him eating up many meters and to me he looks more like a potential Lockers replacement at 13.

It is obvious he is a project signing, which is slightly frustrating after a disappointing season, but let's give the kid a chance before writing him off.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Posted by [Gareth] on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 pm
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

ksm1701 wrote:
Sensing a game of gobshite tennis is about to start ... :CURTAIN:

(no offence)

An rlfans wigan postathon....
www.camfaf.com
"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein"

"This song is for all you people in the back, its called 'Hard To See'"
Ivan Moody, 5FDP, Reading Festival 2016
Posted by Pieman on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Madge recommended him but never played him even when his team was decimated...
Posted by ChrisA on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm
ChrisA User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

DaveO wrote:
In his speech at the end of season dinner IL told us all we have the best academy set up of the lot in any sport. So what do we do? Go and sign a 20 year old who hasn't played any first grade footy when what we need is experience and size in the front row.

I don't care how good he looks in videos against other academy opponents even if they are supposedly of a higher standard (those mentioning that are clutching at straws IMO....) he is going to take up salary cap money that needs to be spent elsewhere. There is no more guarantee he is going to make it than any other academy player. If he comes over here and at 20 walks into the first team ahead of our own academy products what does that say about the best academy in any sport? I would have thought by now the penny would have dropped that the players we bring in should complement those we produce by bringing experience, not replace them and also need their hands holding.

Dave, it is one low key signing. We've no idea what will follow so how can we comment at this point? If by February we've not brought in some experience that improves the squad instantly I think we can all have a good moan, however at this point we've signed a young lad with potential. How it warrants a meltdown is beyond me.
Posted by Madderzahatter on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:27 pm
Madderzahatter Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Only 20 and he looks as big as lockers and twice as big as Bateman. What do they feed them on over there?
'There's only one code of rugby.'
Posted by jonh on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:47 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Madderzahatter wrote:
Only 20 and he looks as big as lockers and twice as big as Bateman. What do they feed them on over there?

Really?! He looks to me very much so in the Bateman/Faz mould in relation to build.

Edit 5'10 and a touch over 15 stone. Similar if not smaller than our enormous backrow.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Posted by CobraCraig on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:30 pm
CobraCraig Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

If he comes so highly recommended why has he not got a gig in oz? Maguire can't think that highly of him not to give him a go last season in a side performing poorly.
Posted by downo on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 am
downo Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

you kids are crazy, he's only played u20s, wasn't anywhere near getting a first grade gig, this year or next year
however, good on the kid for seeing a bit of the world whilst young & if he does turn out alright, we'll take him back in a few years, thanks
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:43 am
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Wonder if Souths will let us have Inglis for a bit too just to help him back to full fitness :lol:

Seriously though, i dont see much of that side that is much worse than the rest of the NRL. I think they are under strength in the halves as opposed to most of them and we know how good the Burgess brothers are but i think George came in for a lot of stick last season so if GH turns out to be a cracker we can try and trade him for George if he comes under fire again.

Well ya never know :lol: :lol:
Posted by pieeater on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 am
pieeater Stevo's Armpit

DaveO wrote:
In his speech at the end of season dinner IL told us all we have the best academy set up of the lot in any sport. So what do we do? Go and sign a 20 year old who hasn't played any first grade footy when what we need is experience and size in the front row.

I don't care how good he looks in videos against other academy opponents even if they are supposedly of a higher standard (those mentioning that are clutching at straws IMO....) he is going to take up salary cap money that needs to be spent elsewhere. There is no more guarantee he is going to make it than any other academy player. If he comes over here and at 20 walks into the first team ahead of our own academy products what does that say about the best academy in any sport? I would have thought by now the penny would have dropped that the players we bring in should complement those we produce by bringing experience, not replace them and also need their hands holding.

Dave ,Is there anything positive you can say about the club ,its players or its management? I think you should apply for a job at cheshire girls tiddlewink club !
PreviousNext