WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Chairman's address
Re: Chairman's address
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:19 pm
Posted by tank123 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:19 pm
tank123 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

NickyKiss wrote:
If you win things there isn't a problem but not winning whilst playing a negative brand of rugby isn't ever going to be accepted.

I'm sure Lenagan knows that. It sounds like he's trying to take some pressure off Wanes shoulders because there is no doubt that next season is potentially career defining for him.

If things go badly he will probably be out of a job here and he doesn't seem the type who will have made too many friends elsewhere because he's Wigan to the core and doesn't mind upsetting the opposition.

Your spot on.

We accepted last seasons failings due to what happened at the end of the season.

Question is would people accept 5 years of us playing Wire style from 09-16 and not win a GF. Or would people be happier with what we had last season poor rugby but a GF win. I know they won the CC in the time but not the big prize. What if its a choice of one of them either play with style and win little trophies or play as we did in 2016 and win the big one.

I know both style and success is achievable but not always.

IL message was spot on he does not hide he knows we have issues hes not going to tell us what he tells Wane when in private. Big season ahead of Wane.
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 pm
Posted by Finfin on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 pm
Finfin Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

We have failed to dominate a decade that was set up for us to dominate between 2010-13. If Leeds win tomorrow they have won more than us in the 2010's (with daylight in 3rd place). I thought we had shrugged Leeds off in 2010 and most of 2011 but you have to grudgingly admire their tenacity. IL doesn't address how we get back to dominance or close to it other than more of the same.
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:00 pm
Posted by jonh on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:00 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Firstly I think Mr Lenagan is an outstanding owner and chairman.

He has without doubt saved this club from the embarrassment of relegation and clearly has the best interests of this great club at heart despite the losses incurred.

The main concern for me is the comment about winning at all costs, our style of play and the squad.

I 100% want to win, I think however the style of rugby we play is contrary to to that notion. Expecting to win trophies by playing rank bad negative rugby even in a diminished competition is totally unrealistic. I also agree with him about the squad. We have in my opinion the best squad in the league, however if we do not utilise it and play to our potential then what is the point in having a good squad.

Seems to me Mr Lenagan is attempting to deflect some of the performances away from a rightfully under pressure coach whilst not too subtly piling the pressure back on him by stating things will change next year.

Over to you Mr Wane.

Good luck.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

jonh wrote:
Firstly I think Mr Lenagan is an outstanding owner and chairman.

He has without doubt saved this club from the embarrassment of relegation and clearly has the best interests of this great club at heart despite the losses incurred.

The main concern for me is the comment about winning at all costs, our style of play and the squad.

I 100% want to win, I think however the style of rugby we play is contrary to to that notion. Expecting to win trophies by playing rank bad negative rugby even in a diminished competition is totally unrealistic. I also agree with him about the squad. We have in my opinion the best squad in the league, however if we do not utilise it and play to our potential then what is the point in having a good squad.

Seems to me Mr Lenagan is attempting to deflect some of the performances away from a rightfully under pressure coach whilst not too subtly piling the pressure back on him by stating things will change next year.

Over to you Mr Wane.

Good luck.

1 to 13 name the best player in SL and see how many Wigan players you come up with. I come up with 1 SOL or maybe 2 Bateman. The rest are pretty much average joes. If we had the best squad as a minimum we would have qualified for the play offs and beaten a pretty average Hull team at Wembley
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:48 pm
Posted by hengirl on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:48 pm
hengirl Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
1 to 13 name the best player in SL and see how many Wigan players you come up with. I come up with 1 SOL or maybe 2 Bateman. The rest are pretty much average joes. If we had the best squad as a minimum we would have qualified for the play offs and beaten a pretty average Hull team at Wembley

I could only add Gildart to your names if I'm being honest.
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:53 pm
Posted by jonh on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:53 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Itchy Arsenal wrote:

Didn't realise the side that wins SL has to also be the dream team.

My mistake.

Glad Cad and Leeds this year have the best player in every position.
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 pm
Posted by jonh on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Itchy Arsenal wrote:

When we won it last year did we have the best players 1-13?
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:18 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:18 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

jonh wrote:
When we won it last year did we have the best players 1-13?

Last year we were shoite and except for a totally inept lWire we should never have been near even contemplating a GF win.
If we have the best squad why aren't they then in the dream team or in the national squad? Surely the best squad implies we have the best international players and players respected throughout the game?
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm
Posted by Ziggy Stardust on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm
Ziggy Stardust User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

SOL is the only class player we have.

The rest are average or below average if you judge by international standard.

Most are dumb as well, coached by a dumb coach.

Dumb team get the results a dumb team deserves.
Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:26 pm
Posted by jonh on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:26 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Last year we were shoite and except for a totally inept lWire we should never have been near even contemplating a GF win.
If we have the best squad why aren't they then in the dream team or in the national squad? Surely the best squad implies we have the best international players and players respected throughout the game?

Ignorant.

Style over squad.

Madge over Noble.
PreviousNext