WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Gildart in the Italian RLWC Squad

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk Gildart in the Italian RLWC Squad

Re: Gildart in the Italian RLWC Squad
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm
Posted by RichieS on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm
RichieS User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I would say McMeeken is a better bet...I would expect on SOL to be on the plane with maybe Bateman but no way Sam Tomkins, Joe Burgess or Liam Farrell should be anywhere near that squad, none have found any form whatsoever in the last few months.
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:18 pm
Posted by Pieman on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:18 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

hope none go and they get a good rest and pre season
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:45 pm
Posted by Finfin on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:45 pm
Finfin Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
and Ferres on the bench
Dear god, no!!!!
Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 am
Posted by Bullseye on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 am
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Ferres won't get in the squad since he's been awful all year.

I like Bateman but he's too small for Test rugby. Second row will be O'Loughlin and Whitehead with Sam Burgess at 13.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:36 pm
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:36 pm
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Bullseye wrote:

I like Bateman but he's too small for Test rugby. Second row will be O'Loughlin and Whitehead with Sam Burgess at 13.

It's just a silly statement. Not you personally but the general consensus of it. He is as tough as anyone in the squad if not the toughest and a size vs strength test would have him out on top every time. As a defender and charging second rower, i would have him over Farrell and Ferres any day of the week. I concede that Farrell is much better at running the lines and finding gaps but Bateman's work rate puts him in every day of the week for me. There aren't many players who keep fighting for the full 80 mins at the same intensity as the 1st minute. Him and Lockers are as mentioned, the only two for me that should be in the squad. McMeeken is a shoe in (or should be) Then again i said Walmsley and Hill should have been there last time but weren't. Now i want, Walmsley, Taylor and Watts and will probably get none.
Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:47 am
Posted by thepimp007 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:47 am
thepimp007 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Cherry_Warrior wrote:
It's just a silly statement. Not you personally but the general consensus of it. He is as tough as anyone in the squad if not the toughest and a size vs strength test would have him out on top every time. As a defender and charging second rower, i would have him over Farrell and Ferres any day of the week. I concede that Farrell is much better at running the lines and finding gaps but Bateman's work rate puts him in every day of the week for me. There aren't many players who keep fighting for the full 80 mins at the same intensity as the 1st minute. Him and Lockers are as mentioned, the only two for me that should be in the squad. McMeeken is a shoe in (or should be) Then again i said Walmsley and Hill should have been there last time but weren't. Now i want, Walmsley, Taylor and Watts and will probably get none.

I think it depends on the player. John was at our club last night while his brother was training and for me has to be on the pitch. His mentality gives him an edge for me, I saw a post saying the Kiwis had his number but that was his first game against that stature of size. In the game against Australia after he was very good and had learned fromt he NZ game and equipped himself a lot better. Also to be surrounded by the size of SOL, Sam, Graham and Whitehead the pack is strong. We need a John type in there as Westwood was for us to dish some out
Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:04 am
Posted by secondstanza on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:04 am
secondstanza Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Bullseye wrote:

Personally I'd have Sam in the SR and SOL at lock. SOL is a better organised and has better hands and somewhat of a kicking game. Can be used as an extra pivot. Sam running slightly wider I think would be a better option. McMeekan and Burgess linking those edges gives us a lot of size and power.
Previous