WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - I hope he isn't getting paid a lot

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk I hope he isn't getting paid a lot

Re: I hope he isn't getting paid a lot
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Posted by Mr. Zucchini Head on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Mr. Zucchini Head Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Sorry, don't mean to gloat (honest) but for some reason this thread has just reminded me of when Taylor signed for Hull and a couple of posters on here accused him of lacking ambition and said he wasn't that good anyway. I said it was the opposite of lacking ambition because if he plays a key role in turning Hull around and wins at Wembley he will go down as a hero. Probably the only thing I've got right in the last 3 years. :lol:
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:18 pm
Posted by Aboveusonlypie on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:18 pm
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Mr. Zucchini Head wrote:
Sorry, don't mean to gloat (honest) but for some reason this thread has just reminded me of when Taylor signed for Hull and a couple of posters on here accused him of lacking ambition and said he wasn't that good anyway. I said it was the opposite of lacking ambition because if he plays a key role in turning Hull around and wins at Wembley he will go down as a hero. Probably the only thing I've got right in the last 3 years. :lol:

I doubt anyone accused him of not being good enough with a serious head on. The annoyance at him was precisely because we could see he was, and is, good.

He was part of our double winning team when he came off the bench in both finals, and is an antidote to Wigan fans who claim that Shaun Wane has never found and improved any props. He was nothing when he came from Hull KR.

He had a strange year at Salford when he was overweight and that probably caused folk to question his attitude. But he has certainly proved his worth at Hull and along with Watts and Houghton forms the best front row in the comp.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:02 pm
Posted by Mr. Zucchini Head on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:02 pm
Mr. Zucchini Head Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Aboveusonlypie wrote:
I doubt anyone accused him of not being good enough with a serious head on. The annoyance at him was precisely because we could see he was, and is, good.

He was part of our double winning team when he came off the bench in both finals, and is an antidote to Wigan fans who claim that Shaun Wane has never found and improved any props. He was nothing when he came from Hull KR.

He had a strange year at Salford when he was overweight and that probably caused folk to question his attitude. But he has certainly proved his worth at Hull and along with Watts and Houghton forms the best front row in the comp.

Tbf to him I think he won Salford's player of the year, overweight or not.

As you guys have said, the number of carries from your front row must be a tactical thing. I can't imagine imagine Wane standing for it if it wasn't what he wanted.
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Posted by DaveO on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Aboveusonlypie wrote:

Yes of course, that's we we signed him. :USTUPID: Wane didn't "find" him, HKR did. We signed a good player who went straight into the 1st team. Along with Bateman he is a rarity. A very good player signed by Wigan in recent years.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:14 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:14 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

DaveO wrote:
Yes of course, that's we we signed him. :USTUPID: Wane didn't "find" him, HKR did. We signed a good player who went straight into the 1st team. Along with Bateman he is a rarity. A very good player signed by Wigan in recent years.

To be fair I think he came to us a good player but improved a lot before moving on.
Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 pm
Posted by moto748 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Aboveusonlypie wrote:
Watching Melbourne last week, it's very noticeable that they have the exact same tactic.

All NRL teams do, but not at the expense of props doing their fair share too. Plus many NRL outside backs are bigger than those in SL.
Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 am
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

moto - I'd say you've hit the nail on the head there - tactics need to vary depending on players sometimes. If you have big strong backs who like running the ball up, then by all means use them to do that. If you've got more whippet-like players then you need the forwards to get back and do it. Billy Slater can and does run the ball back really well, but when he does I bet Bellamy's heart is in is mouth because he gets absolutely smashed sometimes. His instructions to the wingers (and everyone else) will be to avoid Slater having to run the ball back if at all possible.
Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 am
Posted by jonh on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
To be fair I think he came to us a good player but improved a lot before moving on.

Fair assessment.

He had already played fir England when we signed him so the potential and ability was obvious.

Great up until his last season where he was a bit hit and miss, looked Simon par at Salford but now settled back at "home" he has started to improve again and looks like realising his full potential at Hull.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 am
Posted by Madderzahatter on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 am
Madderzahatter Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

moto748 wrote:
All NRL teams do, but not at the expense of props doing their fair share too. Plus many NRL outside backs are bigger than those in SL.

I was about to say the same thing. Have you seen the size of Melbourne's back line? I wouldn't be surprised if they're also fitter too.
'There's only one code of rugby.'
Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 am
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bigredwarrior wrote:
I still think we have a great prop on the books with FPN. He's not being used correctly though and it could be the reason he's not looked great. In the games where he takes the ball up a lot, he's looked a completely different player. He's like the others at our club and being told to allow the backs to do the work out of our own half.

How do you explain the odd good game he has had though (Saints away for example)? I understand him not taking many drives up if that is the strategy, but surely the few he does take should still be strong? I doubt Wane tells him to give up so many surrender tackles. I hope I'm wrong but he just doesn't look that bothered to me most of the time, either that or he is knackered from playing so many games/maybe training too hard. We have seen on occasion that he still has the talent.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
PreviousNext