WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - P7 W0 D0 L7
Re: P7 W0 D0 L7
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am
Posted by Guerrier on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am
Guerrier User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
We desperately need an organising half with a top class kicking game - that isn't Sam Tomkins.

Spot on. Christ knows who we'd get, though.
Wigan Warriors - 2017 World Club Champions
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:04 am
Posted by RichieS on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:04 am
RichieS User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I genuinely believe Todd Carney would be great for us...yes, he may have his demons, but with a full pre-season, get him fit, get him clicking with GW and give him the confidence and support he could easily re-establish himself as one of the best SH's! Also sorts our kicking problem.

Not sure if Salford see him as a full-time replacement for Dobson though
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 am
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 am
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

RichieS wrote:
I genuinely believe Todd Carney would be great for us...yes, he may have his demons, but with a full pre-season, get him fit, get him clicking with GW and give him the confidence and support he could easily re-establish himself as one of the best SH's! Also sorts our kicking problem.

Not sure if Salford see him as a full-time replacement for Dobson though

I don't get the Todd Carney thing. When I've seen him he is absolutely useless.
Maybe there are hidden talents there but cant see IL risking a move for a player who as you say has his demons.
Not a half but if I could sign anyone in SL at the moment it would be McShane. One of the few rugby players left in the competition.
Before we sign any half we need to sort out the forwards. We could have Andy Greg in his pomp but with our present set of "middles" even he would struggle to make any mark on a game.
I know I rabbit on about it but without a decent pack there is absolutely no point in my opinion of signing a top half. Unless the pack are playing to instructions there isn't one prop in our squad who I actually rate. I don't think we will see any of our "middles" ripping it up in the forthcoming World Cup.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 am
Posted by Wigg'n on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 am
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
Where are we getting one of those from, who will play for peanuts? I agree with you but we have a salary cap and (as far as I'm aware) no big earners off contract. Realistically for next season the answer needs to come from within, whether that is Leuluai, S.Tomkins, Powell or Shorrocks. The only other viable option I can think of would be to try and sell Manfredi or Burgess to free up room, but even so I'm not sure they would be on comparable wages to a good halfback.

There's an extra £50k on the salary cap next year as the increases come through. £50k is peanuts for a top half though and is probably already being planned to be used to pay some young players more.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:37 pm
Posted by Bert's Medal on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:37 pm
Bert's Medal User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Location: Walking down the Leeds & Liverpool Canal & convinced that I saw Brett Kenny!
Guerrier wrote:
Spot on. Christ knows who we'd get, though.

I'd go for Joe Mellor.

Excellent organisational skills, good kicking game & showing very impressive leadership skills at Widnes.

He was really unlucky with injuries at Wigan as a youngster, otherwise could have been our current 7. I know that he is under contract until 2019 but I'd hate to see him being the next Sean Long and going to Stains!
:SHOOT:
"Wigan Athletic - No known famous fans. The town (of Wigan) apparently goes into hibernation when the Rugby League season ends!" Daily Mail Online feature, July 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------

They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
WE WILL BE VICTORIOUS!

Wigan RLFC - The Uprising!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wigan footballer Mohamed Diame described the home of mint balls and pies as 'cr**py'.

But Tomkins boomed: "I don't want to know what he thinks. I don't even know his name. He only plays for Latics."
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:47 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:47 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Wigg'n wrote:
There's an extra £50k on the salary cap next year as the increases come through. £50k is peanuts for a top half though and is probably already being planned to be used to pay some young players more.

Yeah if you divide out the salary cap then the average player in the 25 highest earners is on £73k, so you would assume £50k would get us a reserve halfback rather than a starter. As you say, much of it will probably get swallowed in contract re-negotiations.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:22 pm
Posted by Father Ted on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:22 pm
Father Ted Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

If Lockers is to go again in 2018 then we need to bring in his replacement now.
Who we'd get i s another matter but I wouldn't like to see him depart and just carry on without him.
This is going to be some bit of recruitment to replace Lockers, if it can be done!
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm
Posted by MattyB on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Wigg'n wrote:

£50k plus Lewis Tierney wages perhaps? Maybe more if Tommy takes his coaching role sooner?
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013 & 2016

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 pm
Posted by Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 pm
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Grimmy wrote:
Where are we getting one of those from, who will play for peanuts? I agree with you but we have a salary cap and (as far as I'm aware) no big earners off contract. Realistically for next season the answer needs to come from within, whether that is Leuluai, S.Tomkins, Powell or Shorrocks. The only other viable option I can think of would be to try and sell Manfredi or Burgess to free up room, but even so I'm not sure they would be on comparable wages to a good halfback.

Things change which may give us some wriggle room on the cap - we let Smith go last season while under contract and if the club are doing their job this off-season they'll be trying to offload a number of players for free to freshen up elements of the team or looking to move Leuluai or J Tomkins onto their non-playing jobs early.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:15 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:15 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
Things change which may give us some wriggle room on the cap - we let Smith go last season while under contract and if the club are doing their job this off-season they'll be trying to offload a number of players for free to freshen up elements of the team or looking to move Leuluai or J Tomkins onto their non-playing jobs early.

I hope you're right, I couldn't believe they were willing to sign Smith. I just can't see why other clubs would want to pay the wages of the players we are willing to offload at the moment, or why Leuluai or J.Tomkins would be willing to take early retirement. Of the top earners I reckon:

Could maybe offload:
Manfredi or Burgess - Probably the most viable option, as they are both very good wingers who other teams would want, and we have Davies, who looks ready to be first choice.
Nu'uausala - MAYBE a chance that an NRL club would take him as squad player, given that they have a much larger cap, so can take a punt or two. Hopefully the homesick stories are accurate
McIlorum - Can't see Wane being too happy to lose his lovechild, but this would be a good move to be honest. Can maybe see some mid-bottom end SL clubs being interested given his CV.

Don't think other clubs would pay their wages/the player would be willing to leave a good contract:
S.Tomkins - Marquee money, seriously doubt any club would take him as their marquee player now.
Leuluai and J.Tomkins - Signed when their stock was much higher than it is now, so I suspect they have quite cushy contracts which other clubs wouldn't be willing/able to match. Can't see why they would go voluntarily.

Would be a bad move for us to get rid of:
Gelling, Gildart, Williams, Flower, Bateman, Farrell and Lockers - Very good players in positions we don't really have much cover in
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
PreviousNext