WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Closing the game out
Closing the game out
Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:39 am
CobraCraig Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Last week and last night we have almost let 2 dominant positions slip.Ultimatley it has not cost us the win but our points difference could be much prettier. If we had continued through last week and won by the 20+ like we should have and then last night won by 30+ like was looking likely (certainly was to me just upto the point Gildart dropped Farrell pass) we would be looking at a points difference that would be 30 better than saints! And ultimately that's what it could come down too.
Hopefully we do the business and win the next 2 games but I have had a feeling for a few weeks that we could get pipped by saints on points difference and this could be the difference.
Re: Closing the game out
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:39 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

If is a mystery why we seem so intent on doing everything the hard way.

I'm not sure if it is ambtal issue of physical issue but we cannot seem to be able to come up with an 80 minute performance.

Ultimately though our future is in our hands and all that matters now is wins, easier said than done obviously.

Points difference is symptomatic of our style of play where we rather grind out wins rather than getting in a winning position then kicking on.

We are pretty much playing knock out rugby for the rest of the season. I hope I am wrong but we seem to be using up most of our 9 lives in the league of late, couple of big calls gone our way, Watts sending offwas massive on Friday. I know we have had a few rough calls particularly in the final but they tend to start evening themselves up again and I just hope a bum ref's call does t cost us what, despite my criticism of the coach and style of play, would still be an unbelievable achievement to make the 4 given the injury setbacks we have had in 2017.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I just think we lack a game manager, a general. We need a halfback who will keep it simple and realises there's a time to just drill the ball in touch and take a minute out of the game.

It's a funny old game when you think people criticise our attack sometimes and say we're not exciting enough but at times imo we're not boring enough. When we were 20-6 up on Friday we had opportunities to get the ball in touch and take time out the game but instead we'd try bombs or floated kicks around the middle.

Get a proper 7 and we'll be sorted.
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:52 am
tugglesf78 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I'm coming round to thinking that we only need a top class 7 and honestly I think it will make a huge difference.

Tommy has been a real disappointment this year and gets caught in possession more than Smith did (and he was caught 3 out of five times)
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:03 pm
Geoff User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
I just think we lack a game manager, a general. We need a halfback who will keep it simple and realises there's a time to just drill the ball in touch and take a minute out of the game.

It's a funny old game when you think people criticise our attack sometimes and say we're not exciting enough but at times imo we're not boring enough. When we were 20-6 up on Friday we had opportunities to get the ball in touch and take time out the game but instead we'd try bombs or floated kicks around the middle.

Get a proper 7 and we'll be sorted.

Though I admit there's a time and place for eating up the clock, one of our usual game-long strategies is to deliberately keep the ball in play on kicks, in order not to allow the opposition any rest, and use what is perceived as our superior fitness and stamina.
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:10 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

tugglesf78 wrote:
I'm coming round to thinking that we only need a top class 7 and honestly I think it will make a huge difference.

Tommy has been a real disappointment this year and gets caught in possession more than Smith did (and he was caught 3 out of five times)

shorrocks might step up next year
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:00 pm
RichieS User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

When I first joined this forum, I was really quite negative towards our style of play and the lack of change that would occur when things went wrong. I will hold my hands up and was quite critical of Shaun Wane and his stubbornness but having actually managed to see the last few games Sky, it is quite obvious what he coaches and wants from the players especially on last plays isn't happening...and now with a bigger picture to look at I can see that our lack of game management at 7 is quite restricting and causing undue pressure in most games. I would imagine the TL situation is high on the list of things to address at seasons end, I wouldn't imagine Tommy having too many arguments either. I am not sure Shorrocks after a full year out will be the immediate answer to this, but one can hope.
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:56 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Geoff wrote:
Though I admit there's a time and place for eating up the clock, one of our usual game-long strategies is to deliberately keep the ball in play on kicks, in order not to allow the opposition any rest, and use what is perceived as our superior fitness and stamina.

I heard one of the players mention that in an interview and I get it early in a game or in a close game but for me when you're 14 points up with 25 mins or so on the clock you manage the game, eat the clock up and keep gas in your own tank.

Regardless of which tactic you decide to use, I still think we need a more natural seven. The jaw injuries haven't helped Tommy this year but he's never been a scrum half who I'd see as a suitable partner for a player like Williams. He'd still do a more then capable job as a hooker imo but if there's no room there I can't help but hope we move him on to the coaching staff for next year.
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:29 pm
tugglesf78 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Pieman wrote:
shorrocks might step up next year

Still far too young and needs managing properly just yet I feel.

Happy to take on a 30 plus 7 to help integrate Jake into regular first team football.

I know Williams pretty much hit he ground running but his overnight success actually came after a tough first 12 months.
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.
Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 pm
stpatricks User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

NickyKiss wrote:
I heard one of the players mention that in an interview and I get it early in a game or in a close game but for me when you're 14 points up with 25 mins or so on the clock you manage the game, eat the clock up and keep gas in your own tank.

Regardless of which tactic you decide to use, I still think we need a more natural seven. The jaw injuries haven't helped Tommy this year but he's never been a scrum half who I'd see as a suitable partner for a player like Williams. He'd still do a more then capable job as a hooker imo but if there's no room there I can't help but hope we move him on to the coaching staff for next year.

The disappointment for me was not using the extra man. We needed to drag the Hull team into the middle then go wide, Taylor mentioned after the game that all they did was wait for the attack to come to them. Too often forwards were running on their own and easy to deal with.
Game management is one thing but i was happy that the Hull tactic of staying down with "injuries" didn't work.
Wigan home of league
Next