WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Are we too nice?
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:39 pm
Posted by secondstanza on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:39 pm
secondstanza Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am
Posts: 163
My main gripe was Child's reasoning; saying Tuimavave had no impact on the ball coming free. It was a loose carry but if Tuimavave isn't wrapping the ball out, it doesn't come out. Tiumavave has dislodged the ball but it was a loose carry.
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 pm
Posted by tangerine on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 pm
tangerine Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:00 pm
Posts: 62
the original post was about "being nice" not about the try or no try and i think the whole of rugby league is "too nice" it's time to get back to threatening each other with what we are going to do to them not saying the best team will win and who completes best will win lets see some aggression from coaches and captains verbally, some year ago this always created lots more interest among rival fans.
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm
Posted by Finfin on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm
Finfin Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:13 pm
Posts: 1661
Well are we too nice?

Young halfback makes his debut in a game which is crucial to the opposition.

Do they

(a) Afford him the freedom of the park

(b) Let him know - legally - what first team rugby is all about.

Answers on a postcard to the Coaching team, Wigan RLFC.
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 pm
Posted by Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 pm
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 13943
Location: Looking for coffee and donuts
Finfin wrote:
Well are we too nice?

Young halfback makes his debut in a game which is crucial to the opposition.

Do they

(a) Afford him the freedom of the park

(b) Let him know - legally - what first team rugby is all about.

Answers on a postcard to the Coaching team, Wigan RLFC.


They just need to ask the 19s coaching staff how they sorted him out a couple of weeks ago.
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:16 am
Posted by fleabag on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:16 am
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am
Posts: 826
Location: Rochdale
IMHO we need a rough tough prop to build around akin to when we brought Graeme West to Wigan. In the past we have had some forwards like Brian McTigue, Greg Dowling and the unforgettable Kelvin Skerrett . Unless we beef up that pack we could have the besthalf backs in the world and we will struggle. To me, too many of our players are not of Wigan standard. I said almost from the start of Wane's tenure that in my opinion he wasn't good enough for that job.' Madge'' was no idiot and would be of degree standard. Wane for all his keenness lacks the intellect to take our team forward. RL is very much like a game of chess today. Wane has been very blessed by his length of time in the top job. I compare that with how Graeme West was sacked many years ago - a very poor treatment by the club of 'Westie'.
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 am
Posted by Slugger McBatt on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 am
Slugger McBatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 5300
Location: Over there
What do you mean "too nice"? Are you saying that it is ridiculous you haven't had as much success as you'd like by playing within the rules and the coach referring to the performance of other teams in a complimentary way, in much the same way as other clubs and coaches do?

So you're suggesting, as you appear to be, that you should break the rules more to win more, because all that matters is Wigan winning. God forbid that other fans refer to Wigan fans as arrogant .....
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - MORE ANCIENT. MORE LOYAL.
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 am
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:27 pm
Posts: 3493
Slugger McBatt wrote:
What do you mean "too nice"? Are you saying that it is ridiculous you haven't had as much success as you'd like by playing within the rules and the coach referring to the performance of other teams in a complimentary way, in much the same way as other clubs and coaches do?

So you're suggesting, as you appear to be, that you should break the rules more to win more, because all that matters is Wigan winning. God forbid that other fans refer to Wigan fans as arrogant .....

Well that's one interpretation I suppose. :CRAZY:
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 pm
Posted by moto748 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 2615
fleabag wrote:
IMHO we need a rough tough prop to build around akin to when we brought Graeme West to Wigan. In the past we have had some forwards like Brian McTigue, Greg Dowling and the unforgettable Kelvin Skerrett . Unless we beef up that pack we could have the besthalf backs in the world and we will struggle. To me, too many of our players are not of Wigan standard. I said almost from the start of Wane's tenure that in my opinion he wasn't good enough for that job.' Madge'' was no idiot and would be of degree standard. Wane for all his keenness lacks the intellect to take our team forward. RL is very much like a game of chess today. Wane has been very blessed by his length of time in the top job. I compare that with how Graeme West was sacked many years ago - a very poor treatment by the club of 'Westie'.


The days of Kelvin Skerrett are long gone, for better or worse. If he was playing today, he's never complete a game! You just can't get away with the sort of thing he used to do any more.

That doesn't mean, though, that we couldn't and shouldn't improve our pack.
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm
Posted by fleabag on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am
Posts: 826
Location: Rochdale
moto748 wrote:
The days of Kelvin Skerrett are long gone, for better or worse. If he was playing today, he's never complete a game! You just can't get away with the sort of thing he used to do any more.

That doesn't mean, though, that we couldn't and shouldn't improve our pack.


I'm suggesting we need a strong pack leader. If you want to go even earlier where some of the play was even more brutal then Bill Ashurst could also dish it out in the so called 'bad old days' that were very entertaining IMHO. In the old derby matches against the saints if there wasn't a punch up in the first scrum, the crowd thought they were being ripped off.

I could be wrong, but I don't think McTigue got sent off in his life. He never got caught in the scrum.
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 1211
We could sign the best prop in the world but if he plays in our current game plan of 'back set' after 'back set' then he wouldn't improve us much.
It's very clear our forwards are playing to instructions. Our backs do the graft when we're in possession and our forwards defend. I'm not sure how a new prop changes that.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bombed Out, ChrisA, endoman, exiled Warrior, Psyrax64, Sweaty Betty's, tank123 and 137 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,664,2671,62276,3494,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TOMORROW 09:00
World Cup: Semi Final
AUSTRALIA
v
FIJI
Sat 25th Nov 05:00
World Cup: Semi Final
ENGLAND
v
TONGA
Thu 1st Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Thu 1st Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL FC
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:30
SUPER LEAGUE
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 2nd Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
SUPER LEAGUE
WIDNES VIKINGS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Thu 8th Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
LEEDS RHINOS
v
HULL KR
Fri 9th Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WAKEFIELD
v
SALFORD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM