WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Are we too nice?
Re: Are we too nice?
Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 pm
Posted by SRV on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 pm
SRV Stevo's Armpit

Oh and to think that I thought that Wiganers didn't have a sense of humour! Being "too nice" is probably the last reason that Wigan have lost a couple of finals!

I don't think it's a coincidence that Wigan's successes over the last couple of years have come when you've actually tried to play rugby. Towards the back end of last year, from the Wire game onwards, you started to play a more attacking, expansive style and it worked. On Saturday, you only attacked when you were chasing the game and it was too late.

In my opinion, Wigan need more belief that they can beat their opposition by bettering them in attack.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 pm
Posted by moto748 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

On the Clubb try, am I missing something? I thought the rules were, you are allowed to try to reef the ball out when the ball carrier is in the act of scoring a try? In which case it couldn't be a penalty, much less a penalty try, as some have claimed, the only options would be a try or a knock-on?
Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 pm
Posted by Jake the Peg on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 pm
Jake the Peg User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

moto748 wrote:
On the Clubb try, am I missing something? I thought the rules were, you are allowed to try to reef the ball out when the ball carrier is in the act of scoring a try? In which case it couldn't be a penalty, much less a penalty try, as some have claimed, the only options would be a try or a knock-on?

You can't purposely pull the ball out anywhere on the pitch when 2 or more are in the tackle but tuimavave made absolutely no movement of his arm to dislodge the ball and there was clearly no evidence to suggest he deliberately pulled the ball out of clubb's grasp. It was clubb rolling over that did it as the VR clearly stated. If clubb had stayed on his back the ball wouldn't have come out so the dropped ball was clearly his doing. 100% correct decision. clubb dropped the ball
Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Jake the Peg wrote:
You can't purposely pull the ball out anywhere on the pitch when 2 or more are in the tackle but tuimavave made absolutely no movement of his arm to dislodge the ball and there was clearly no evidence to suggest he deliberately pulled the ball out of clubb's grasp. It was clubb rolling over that did it as the VR clearly stated. If clubb had stayed on his back the ball wouldn't have come out so the dropped ball was clearly his doing. 100% correct decision. clubb dropped the ball

He did mate. I have no beef with the loss, the better team won and that is that but that was 100% the wrong call.

The full commentary team agreed it should've been a try and even your own coach did. Ultimately though both teams got what they deserved.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:05 pm
Posted by Jake the Peg on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:05 pm
Jake the Peg User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
He did mate. I have no beef with the loss, the better team won and that is that but that was 100% the wrong call.

The full commentary team agreed it should've been a try and even your own coach did. Ultimately though both teams got what they deserved.

It has no bearing on the result but I honestly fail to see how tuimavave can be purposely dislodging the ball when he doesn't move his arm at all. Was he supposed to let go of clubb and let him roll over?
Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:27 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:27 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

NickyKiss wrote:

Correct on all points mate. Add to that Lee Radford's opinion was the decision was wrong and his team 'dodged a bullet' and it's enough for me to be convinced. In any case even if we agree Clubb dropped it (which I don't), the ball went back and then he grounded it. Whichever scenario it should have been a try.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Posted by NSW on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 pm
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

One of the worst calls I've seen.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Jake the Peg wrote:
It has no bearing on the result but I honestly fail to see how tuimavave can be purposely dislodging the ball when he doesn't move his arm at all. Was he supposed to let go of clubb and let him roll over?

But he's did move his arm and that's the point. He reefed at the ball without any shadow of a doubt. If you get chance watch it again and just focus on his hand. He pulls at the ball a split second before Clubb rolls over.

We didn't do enough to win the game and Hull did. That decision gives us a talking point but I'm not kidding myself in to feeling robbed. We scored our last try just after Marshall appeared to step on the dead ball line for example so this isn't me sitting here trying to build a case for being robbed. It was an ordinary decision backed up by Lee Rashford (which tells you everything).
Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am
Posted by TonyM19 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am
TonyM19 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Re the Tony Clubb try/no try - bit late to the party on this one so forgive me if its already been mentioned. Live in the stdium I didn't think it was a try. When was the last time you saw a try like that awarded? When it went to the VR I thought it might have a chance as James Child likes to pull a mystery decision out of his backside from the recesses of therule book, but just shrugged my shoulders when it wasn't given. If that had happened anywhere else on the pitch and a penalty had been given it wouldn't have caused any fuss (as it wouldn't if a knock on had been given). It's a bit like in football when 2 players go up for a header in the centre circle. If it's a free kick nobody bats an eyelid. If the same situation occured in the penalty area and a penalty was given it woud cause a riot.

Move on everybody. On balance, the best team won.
Category 3
Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 pm
Posted by moto748 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

TonyM19 wrote:
Re the Tony Clubb try/no try - bit late to the party on this one so forgive me if its already been mentioned. Live in the stdium I didn't think it was a try. When was the last time you saw a try like that awarded? When it went to the VR I thought it might have a chance as James Child likes to pull a mystery decision out of his backside from the recesses of therule book, but just shrugged my shoulders when it wasn't given. If that had happened anywhere else on the pitch and a penalty had been given it wouldn't have caused any fuss (as it wouldn't if a knock on had been given). It's a bit like in football when 2 players go up for a header in the centre circle. If it's a free kick nobody bats an eyelid. If the same situation occured in the penalty area and a penalty was given it woud cause a riot.

Move on everybody. On balance, the best team won.

Well said. I know Child is the guy we all love to hate, but given the onfield decision of no-try, his decision was hardly surprising, given the guidelines. We all moaned (rightly) when Thaler ignored the rules with his decision the other week; we can hardly complain now when Child sticks by them.
PreviousNext