FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Catalan Dragons 26 - 0 Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The Standard of modern game!
RankPostsTeam
International Star862No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 05 201014 years319th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Dec 21 18:078th Dec 21 18:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:45 pm  
roader wrote:
The play offs and Grand Final have ruined Rugby League.

I don't think so, the Premiership existed in a similar space to the playoffs.

Sky using the game as what feels like a space filler is the problem, they simply don't value the game enough. If it cost them more, maybe they would market it more to make more money out of the games. As it stands I suspect they make a healthy return without needing to spend money on promoting the game outside of their own airtime. So why risk a bunch of cash on advertising when they make a decent margin right now.
Wigg'n 
RankPostsTeam
International Star7528
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201113 years208th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 08:414th May 24 14:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:00 pm  
The play-offs are consistent in sport. There's only really a few leagues worldwide who use the FPTP system.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2905
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:328th May 24 16:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:16 pm  
Great topic but no simple answer. A plethora of issues within the game none on their own are key critical but collectively they are bringing the game down to the point where I just do not see a long term credible future for the sport. In no particular order here for me are some of the issues that need addressing

Lack of stars within the game. With ST not the player he was I don't think we have one real quality player in the competition. Too many mediocre players and few if any personalities that known outside the traditional areas. The SC has got to be increased.

Too many games that have no importance which leads to lack of intensity and strongly contested matches. Every minute counts my arris.
The magic weekend is an excuse for a booze up which in itself I have no problem with but it adds zero to the sport. Mediocrety is rewarded or at least not punished.

Pool of players to pick from is too small. Historically RU plus Aus and NZ helped fill this gap. This gap just hasn't been filled.

Everything revolves around the PTB. Nothing else matters. Leads to cheating, moaning, scrappy play, lack of imagination etc etc. This is one fault that can be fixed overnight. Refs need apply the rules not just for defence but also attack where no one seems to play the ball correctly or from the correct place.

Lack of reserve team football. The gap from u19s to first x13 is too large. Easily fixed. All teams in SL must have a reserve team and an academy if they don't they forfeit the right to play in the competition.

The current deal with Sky has got be renegotiated. I know the ink is still drying but without increased revenues the game can't attract top NRL stars or keep the few we currently have.

Too many interchanges. Too many Jack of all trade players with zero masters.

Poor leadership from the top. What has Barwick brought to the sport? Wood comes across as useless and unaware of the por quality of his sport.

Exceptionally poor fitness levels. A game now last for 2 hours but most forwards are on the pitch for less than 40 minutes.

No biff anymore. This might upset some but most people want it nay expect it. I couldn't believe it last year when Simms chinned young Williams and not one Wigan player didn't attempt to put Simms on his arris.

Water carriers. I'd gladly see these guys hung drown and quartered.

Coaching. No new newness no freshness.

Sky. Match day ok but all other reporting eg Boots and All has just disappeared. Thursday and Friday matches! Let's get back to Saturday or Sunday games.

Non existent media coverage. This is currently embarrassing but easily sorted with the right expertise in place.

Basic skills replaced with wrestling and moaning. We have "centres" who just can't pass and its accepted as the norm within the game. Mediocrety accepted and rewarded.

I could go on and on. Some are for me easy to resolve whilst others wil take years.
I think the most important is new blood at the top of the sport. We need energy, newness, imagination and raised levels of expectations.
Someone mentioned another Uncle Mo I think we need someone from outside the sport who isn't tainted either Lankie/Yorkie or Wigan/Leeds who will grab the sport by the proverbial short curlies into the future.

Personally I fear for the future unless we get someone from the top drawer to turn the sport around.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:0510th May 24 20:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 pm  
Semi drunk random thought.

New concept for the finals.

Straight shoot out for the league title. You win the League, you win the League title. We then enter the play offs. If the League champions win the play off series they become champions. If they do not and another team does win the play offs they become play off champions.

If we have a league champions and a play off champions we then have a 1 off game to decide the SL champions.

Just a thought after a few pints but it would actually mean winning the weekly rounds gives you a direct straight shot at being champions.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Jun 20 19:3514th Jun 20 19:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 pm  
From a spectator POV the biggest problem within the game is the ruck. It's a farce. Ball carriers simply die with the ball to try and gain a quick PTB, and then crawl forward to take out the markers. The defenders try and react to this by laying on for as long as possible. Nevermind the cap, fixing the PTB would be the most effective, and cheapest thing the game could do to improve itself in this country.

Overall though I'd say the quality of defence is a million miles ahead of where it was 10-20 years ago. If you look at some of the defensive lines from the winter days, you could drive a bus through them.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain664No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 16 20159 years315th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Apr 22 05:301st Apr 22 18:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:17 pm  
I would get rid of sky goone commentators and out two apposing fans do the commentary like they do do on the fan sin in football , would be much entertaining than Stevo and Eddie
fez1 
RankPostsTeam
International Star2365
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 201113 years135th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 19:2011th May 24 15:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 pm  
I've no problem with the salary cap, but it should be increased by 2-3% per year.
Keeping at the same level year after year does lead to the quality reducing.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2905
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:328th May 24 16:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:12 pm  
Charlie Sheen wrote:
From a spectator POV the biggest problem within the game is the ruck. It's a farce. Ball carriers simply die with the ball to try and gain a quick PTB, and then crawl forward to take out the markers. The defenders try and react to this by laying on for as long as possible. Nevermind the cap, fixing the PTB would be the most effective, and cheapest thing the game could do to improve itself in this country.

Overall though I'd say the quality of defence is a million miles ahead of where it was 10-20 years ago. If you look at some of the defensive lines from the winter days, you could drive a bus through them.

Spot on. The ptb is a farce. I used to laugh at RU rucks and mauls and now we have wrestling, cheating, JC impersonators and players just oblivious to the PTB rules
jimlav 
RankPostsTeam
International Star689
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Apr 19 08:3218th Apr 17 07:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
FlexWheeler wrote:
The extent of his coaching is ''BASH EM, JUST F*CKING BASH EM. HE'S LOW ON CONFIDENCE, BASH HIM''

He's a limited coach that won't last long term.

rubber duckie wrote:
That would make Wigan strong favourites then. With Ratchford at FB and Patton with Cronk in the halves, I think we'll do very well without Sam.

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 pm  
Wigg'n wrote:
The play-offs are consistent in sport. There's only really a few leagues worldwide who use the FPTP system.

Most if not all sports that use a play off system do so because they have an uneven season. (everyone doesnt play everyone else or play some teams more often than others).

I would challenge people to find sports that everyone plays each other the same number of times and has play offs. I think Union do, but not many others. Have done with magic (make it a cup weekend, either quarters or the round of 16) and then have fptp.
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years316th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 14:0028th May 22 23:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Re: The Standard of modern game! : Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:33 pm  
Wigg'n wrote:

Including the biggest and best league in the pro sport in the world, Premiership soccer. You have never seen the Premiership (or as it used to to be 1st division) champions decided by a playoff . The country champions in cricket are not decided by a playoff either. So two of the biggest pro sports in the UK are not and never have been decided by a playoff and in my opinion that is big reason why many RL fans in the UK finds the concept pretty alien. Who gives a monkey's what the rest of the world does?

Playoffs in sport where geography isn't an issue (as it was in the USA before air travel made it less so, so they needed regional conferences) are simply a product of the marketing men and TV executives who think they can milk more out of the sport at the end of the season. There is no logic that says playoffs deliver a better or fairer result.

The RFL hold a big responsibility for the decline in the sport. First in their eagerness to promote the playoffs and GF concept they actively belittled the league and the challenge cup going as far as not even offering a trophy for the league in the early years. I don't think it has ever recovered from this as year on year we hear complaints from fans that the league is worth little more than friendlies or they are just qualifiers . This also has a lot to do with the format. They got it right at the start with a top five system as out of them all that was the one that meant it really was worth winning the league and if not finishing as high up as you can. They threw it out and instead left us with formats that made it far too easy to win from lower down the league. Leeds winning it twice from 5th was not a great achievement, it was just a huge sign saying the format of the competition was wrong and winning the league didn't matter a jot.

The Super 8's are hardly any better. Half the teams in it this season have literally been there to make up the numbers. Nothing else and of course the preceding twenty odd league games doesnt really matter as soon as you are confirmed in the top 8 which can happen quickly.

Ultimately you cannot get it out of many fans heads the playoffs mean the only games you need to watch are the semi-finals and finals because even if you go to the rest there is no guarantee you will be entertained. Some late withdrawal or other of a star player etc is always a risk. A typical response to this is they don't understand it is all a build up to peaking at the right time and this is a skill in itself but they do understand this - they just realise what that means is there are twenty odd games where any number of them will be chalked off as not that important.

Second the RFL's "whole game approach" is totally unrealistic. I am sure they think because Leigh are promoted the concept works but this ignores the fact that the relegated team will see people literally out of job! I don't just mean the players some of whom will find another SL side but backroom and admin staff as the clubs budget is literally halved. This might be less of a problem if the game was awash with money but the idiots in charge didn't even put the TV rights out to tender so it isn't and they have spread the money far too wide. If you want P&R you need far more money and if you have not got a lot of money you can't afford the luxury of P&R unless you want to revert to semi-pro or even amateur status across the board. We were on the right track with licenses and Widnes are the proof of that but no, the RFL couldn't leave it alone and canned it because they weren't competent enough to administer it.

Thirdly the international game has been neglected in favour of the club game with far too much energy expended on promoting things like the magic weekend and expanding the world club challenge instead of the international game. In part that was due to the move to summer putting an end to touring sides playing club sides (very big occasions at Central Park those) and full test series played alongside and it also meant few top flight players guesting for clubs here or our players doing the same down under. That used to raise complaints they players were knackered but the game coped and it led to a far more interesting sport. However ultimately those in charge have proved poor custodians of the international game.

As others have said the structure of the academy is rubbish with it restricted to U19's. The scrapping of full reserve A teams, then the various restrictions and restructuring of this part of the game have always seemed to be driven by one G Hetherington of Leeds. He bares a lot of responsibility for this and I think I am right in saying when Wigan and other sides have tried to get a reserve league going Leeds were not interested. That is criminal for such a big club so it is not just Nigel Wood the sport could do with putting out to pasture.

You will notice I have not mentioned the salary cap specifically and that is because provided it is large enough and is flexible enough to allow players to earn money from their position in the sport without it counting on the cap as happens in other sports that have a cap it needn't be a hinderance. The reason ours is a problem is it is too restrictive and not large enough because as mentioned above the RFL's lack of brains in not putting the TV rights out to tender and then spreading the cash to thinly.

We also don't know how the relatively poor wages on offer for the majority of RL players compared to other pro sports is simply diverting young talent away before it even plays the game at senior level. I doubt we will see the sort of fanfare that greeted the signing of a young Shaun Edwards again with the kind of cash in offer these days relative to other sports.

I think the game has many problems including the format but if you look they are all self inflicted. If that doesn't mean it is time for those running it to be fired off I don't know what does.
PreviousNext