Jun 30 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Oct 17 20:411st Oct 17 20:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:20 pm  
Derby week.

Hoping St Helens fans can contribute to this discussion as well and it doesnt turn into petty points scoring.

I was wondering how in relative terms people thought our recruitment strategy and players compared to those of St Helens over the past few years.

If I'm honest, I do honestly feel that their starting 17 is superior to ours. I think we have more squad depth though. I feel as if in the last 12-18 months they have improved whereas we have sat on our laurels. They have recruited very well and us not so well. Interestingly a few years a go Saints seemed to be trying to do what Wane is doing now. They were trying to promote local youth at all costs and to an extent this was clearly holding them back. They were playing Jamie Foster and Lee Gaskell as well as other kids who clearly weren't good enough for a Super League team. Nathan Brown, and so far Kieron Cunningham, seem to have reversed this policy and with great success. They have gone and signed players like Travis Burns to replace locals like Gary Wheeler and Luke Walsh to replace the likes of Lee Gaskell. We haven't properly replaced Blake Green and it is now costing us. Kris Radlinski could learn a lot from Mike Rush in terms of recruitment. Their forwards are another interesting prospect. They have fantastic young props. Yet St Helens haven't sat on their laurels and just given them starting places because of how close they were born to the stadium. They have brought in quality such as Amor and Walmsley, and Masoe to some extent, and are now being linked with Lama Tasi. This has obviously helped their youngsters such as Thompson, Richards, Greenwood and Savelio as they've learned a lot and had to fight to get a place in the starting line-up. Atelea Vea has been excellent for them as well and its scary how big their pack is compared to ours. Vea plays backrow for them and he's still bigger than a lot of our props! Greenwood has also improved since they signed Vea.

A lot of our young players have been given chances prematurely and at times this has backfired. Our younger lads who Wane seems to be relying on haven't progressed and developed as fast as Wane would have liked. If Blake Green was still with us would George Williams be playing? I suspect not. Sam Tomkins earned his place when he burst onto the scene because he was playing better than Tim smith. This is how Saints are approaching the situation now and I honestly think it is a better plan than the way in which Radlinski and Wane are dealing with our recruitment and integration of academy players.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 07:2227th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:37 pm  
After a really poor period of recruitment they've sorted their act out and signed some good players. They've obviously done their homework on guys like Turner, Vea and Amor because they've really improved within their system.

As for us I feel our recruitment has been fine in the main but it's our outgoings that kill us! It's nigh on impossible in this day and age to get like for like replacements for guys like Tomkins, Richards and Green and the trick has to be to try and keep them. We haven't even been able to keep some of our juniors happy like Joe Burgess.

Our Recruitment=7.5/10

Our retention=2/10
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years193rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:3014th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 am  
I think our recruitment from 2010 onwards has been pretty good given the state of the market, whereby average or better NRL players will no longer look at Super League, and the best SL players tend to be heavily concentrated at a few top clubs, with no incentive to move between them. As such IL has (rightly IMO) realised that ‘under the radar’ signings are the way to go. Gelling, Sarginson, Green, Smith, Deacon, Flower, Clubb, Taylor and Bateman, are all examples of players no one would have been too bothered about when announced but proved to be very smart buys and well worth their spots in the 17 whenever fit. In fact there’s only really Lauaki, Dudson and James who fall into that category and weren’t successful.

Our bigger name signings (Bowen, Finch, Lima, Powell, Pettybourne and Hoffman) have been a bit more hit and miss IMO, with Hoffman (who came due to Melbourne’s Salary cap issues and left after a season) the only roaring success. If I was IL I would continue to promote from within where possible and keep making these astute signings. It isn't popular but it works.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1791No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 22 200320 years248th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 06:4916th Mar 24 09:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:09 am  
We're definitely suffering through having lots of potential but lack of experience in critical playing positions.

For me it highlights the issue with scrapping u21s, the gulf between quality below first grade is far to large. As a consequence the promising youngsters have not been teste enough under real pressure. Wigans youngsters dominate most games, the decision makers don't really get tested, they have nowhere to go to debelop further except on loan which isn't always practical or ideal.

An older age group reserve team would make a tougher learning ground for promising youngsters and they would be better placed to step into first grade.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5211No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200618 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:3123rd Mar 24 14:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN:

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 pm  
Big Steve wrote:
An older age group reserve team would make a tougher learning ground for promising youngsters and they would be better placed to step into first grade.

Did it though? The reserve grade has been glorified by some in recent years as one of the reasons why things like the marquee exemption is ridiculous - but was it really all that? From what I remember of it, half the clubs refused to take it seriously, leading to bigger wastes of time for all concerned more often than not. I really am starting to think nostalgia goggles are taking effect.

What I think we've actually seen now is that errors and defensive mistakes are instantly taken advantage of in the modern game, that young players could of got away with it in the past - as is the problem with games by stats - rather than the inability to break through because of a lack or reserves.

I don't think that just reintroducing the reserves grade will improve anyone's ability to break through. The same teams will refuse to contribute it, the few teams that do don't gain anything 90% of the time and conclude that players out on loan is still more effective and the cycle begins again. Ideally, I think, a full feeder system needs to be adopted. Unfortunately there's too much pride in the lower levels to ever let that happen. So I suppose the only way for it to improve is to introduce ways for championship clubs to improve their scouting and recruitment from those coming out of SL academies without a contract, and see them being picked back up as and when their game develops (like Kevin Penny, who whilst not the perfect example, does show that the lower levels can be incubators for bigger clubs)
Geekay 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 28 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Jul 16 20:0619th Oct 15 10:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:19 pm  
Big Steve wrote:
We're definitely suffering through having lots of potential but lack of experience in critical playing positions.

For me it highlights the issue with scrapping u21s, the gulf between quality below first grade is far to large. As a consequence the promising youngsters have not been teste enough under real pressure. Wigans youngsters dominate most games, the decision makers don't really get tested, they have nowhere to go to debelop further except on loan which isn't always practical or ideal.

Several young players have been getting experience in the Championship with Workington. Ryan Hampshire, Dom Manfredi, Logan Tompkins, Connor Farrell, Lewis Tierney, James Greenwood, and Jamie Doran have all been there this season. That is better for their development than in the Under 21's. Gelling last season was out of the first team and played for Workington in 1 game and had a blinder. Wane picked him for the first team on the back of that game and he's never been out of the first team since.
RankPostsTeam
International Star704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 28 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Jan 24 23:0715th Oct 22 14:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rugby is like a hard game of chess!

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Gelling, Sarginson, Green, Smith, Deacon, Flower, Clubb, Taylor and Bateman, are all examples of players no one would have been too bothered about when announced but proved to be very smart buys and well worth their spots in the 17 whenever fit.

I wouldn't say no one was too bothered about a few of them, some certainly didn't go under the radar. Green you paid a fee for and is a player I'd have liked us to take back then. Smith we tried to resign at the time you signed him, but we didn't get him. Taylor was a good prop at Hull KR and i'm sure a few other clubs would have looked at him, but again you paid a substantial fee for him. Bateman was a very good young player when you signed him, again paying a few. I'd be bothered about them. Gelling I doubt anyone is arsed about from our side. Clubb and Sarginson however have been smart signings, so fair play on those two.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8099No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years262nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 19:3326th Mar 24 20:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 pm  
I think both Wigan and Saints recruit well with mistakes in signings not being too many.
Going through the squads, Saints signings with Turner and Masoe, who I don't rate, then there's Amor, Vea & Walmsley who've been excellent signings. Wilkin is a signing although he's been there so long it doesn't feel like he's a signing. Always thought they should sign or develop a 2nd 9.

As for Wigan, Bowen hasn't been a good signing but wasn't the man of first choice. He had to be signed as the interim period has given his successor time to develop.
Gelling, no one rates but me. He's huge, gangly and must be dreadful to play against. Regular first teamer and hopefully is cutting out his mistakes by the week.
Smith has been an excellent signing, re-signing Mossop was a very good move. Flower, Bateman, Sarginson and Clubb have been top drawer. Tautai looks good but with Patrick the jury's out, he's not a player to do well on a ploughed field though. Hopkins just hasn't worked out at all.

It is obvious from this thread now how many club trained players there are at both clubs. The youth set ups are such a vital part of what a club aspiring to be top of SL has to do.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 07:2227th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:04 pm  
Father Ted wrote:
I think both Wigan and Saints recruit well with mistakes in signings not being too many.
Going through the squads, Saints signings with Turner and Masoe, who I don't rate, then there's Amor, Vea & Walmsley who've been excellent signings. Wilkin is a signing although he's been there so long it doesn't feel like he's a signing. Always thought they should sign or develop a 2nd 9.

As for Wigan, Bowen hasn't been a good signing but wasn't the man of first choice. He had to be signed as the interim period has given his successor time to develop.
Gelling, no one rates but me. He's huge, gangly and must be dreadful to play against. Regular first teamer and hopefully is cutting out his mistakes by the week.
Smith has been an excellent signing, re-signing Mossop was a very good move. Flower, Bateman, Sarginson and Clubb have been top drawer. Tautai looks good but with Patrick the jury's out, he's not a player to do well on a ploughed field though. Hopkins just hasn't worked out at all.

It is obvious from this thread now how many club trained players there are at both clubs. The youth set ups are such a vital part of what a club aspiring to be top of SL has to do.

I'm a fellow fan of Gelling. I've posted recently that I continue to back him because you can just tell there's improvement there and his natural athletic ability and skill make him a player that can thrill as much as he can frustrate.

Second Row Saint mentions him being a player that Saints won't pay much attention to but I totally disagree. He's big and powerful and can produce magic moment and madness in equal measure. He's unpredictable in many ways and that makes him dangerous. The one given with him is he makes loads and loads of yards as he did in the grand final against Saints and they'll without doubt have him picked out as a player they need to contain. They'll target him and Sarginson because they seem to run about a quarter of the teams metres each week.
P-J 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1821No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 201014 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 23 18:4126th Aug 23 17:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan vs. St Helens Recruitment : Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:46 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
After a really poor period of recruitment they've sorted their act out and signed some good players. They've obviously done their homework on guys like Turner, Vea and Amor because they've really improved within their system.

As for us I feel our recruitment has been fine in the main but it's our outgoings that kill us! It's nigh on impossible in this day and age to get like for like replacements for guys like Tomkins, Richards and Green and the trick has to be to try and keep them. We haven't even been able to keep some of our juniors happy like Joe Burgess.

Our Recruitment=7.5/10

Our retention=2/10

Pretty much this, although I don't know how much more we could have done about retaining players. A lot of the better ones went to Australia - can't really compete against that.

As for Gelling (mentioned in this thread) I think he's a fantastic player in his own way - just a handful to play against. That belief is hardened by the dogs abuse he receives every week for not being George Carmont.
Next