WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 am
Posted by 100% Warrior on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 am
100% Warrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

jonh wrote:
The frustrating thing is we are judging the form of our players from how they have performed in a system that doesn’t bring the best out of them. MM was average at best last year so you would say, on the face of that, let him go and free up cap space etc.

He has however looked a totally different player in the systems employed by Ireland at the World Cup, proving asking questions and showing some craft at 9, exactly the type of 9 we need.

Tommy again went from being a really controlling 7, providing a great foul for Johnson at NZ Warriors to a headless chicken offering very little direction and leadership.

You don’t become a poor/good player overnight. I think it is clear the system we have employed has let a lot of the players down also to the extent we have so few representing England.

We are being told the systems are likely to change and we may see the best of this team and individuals because of that, if we do MM suddenly becomes a big miss.

Thirded.

But I do also think we won’t miss him as much as we might think. I’ve long expected MM to be moved on in this off season so this doesn’t really come as a surprise - albeit I expected him to go to a SL side rather than an NRL side.

This now paves the way for Escare starting FB and Sam moving into the halves alongside Williams where he now belongs. It also frees up some more cap space enabling us to look at bringing in another prop, or even (dare I say it) Ben Currie - must say I don’t really believe this rumour.

Short term it’s a bit of a kick in the gonads but long term I do think it’s best all round.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm
Posted by tugglesf78 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm
tugglesf78 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Rubbish to anyone that thinks that TL is better than MM.

Ship TL upstairs ASAP as he has been shocking since his return. MM is an absolute beast for us.

If he goes to the NRL i will be gutted as he is one of the most important cogs for us in both attack and defence.
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 11th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 28

tugglesf78 wrote:
he is one of the most important cogs for us in both attack and defence.

What is he doing that makes you say that? Or do you mean in the general sense that he is playing in an important position? He is aggressive in defence, but Leuluai is clearly a bigger hitter. Can't ever remember him doing much special in attack even at his peak. Leuluai is off form, but at least we know he has the attacking prowess when in form. You must see something I don't in McIlorum. To me he is an experienced, fairly average SL hooker who plays for a top team.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm
Posted by Madderzahatter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm
Madderzahatter Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
Can't ever remember him doing much special in attack even at his peak.

This. MM is aggressive enough, but he's not a gamechanger and not dynamic enough in attack for me. Powell will give you 75% of what he can do. We need more pace and go forward at hooker imo. We swap hookers and it's like for like which just keeps us looking very predictable.
'There's only one code of rugby.'
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 pm
Posted by The Whiffy Kipper on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 pm
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

NZ Warriors want Gelling to sign for them mmmmmmmmm
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

I fully understand the benefits of allowing MM to leave but I’m not convinced we have enough hooking options going forward. I do think it’s Tommy’s best position but he only has 1 year left on his playing contract. I don’t see Powell and Ganson being enough for 2019 after Leuluai retires. I accept Powell did a good job covering for McIlorum’s injury but I don’t see him as our long term 9.

It will force Wane’s hand with Tomkins and Escare and that might be a real blessing for us but a new, dynamic hooker would have to come in for 2019.
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:33 pm
Posted by moto748 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:33 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Wigg'n wrote:
Or any other left centre available, including Gildart, Shenton etc.

Unfortunately, yes. I'd have liked to have seen either in the squad.
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm
Posted by Azul on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm
Azul Stevo's Armpit

How many of us genuinely feel we missed MM during the season he was out with his broken leg?
Powell did fine for us, IMO. He would do so again for me. It’s a shame pedestrian TL won’t retire and leave SP to it on his own at 9.

MM has been a great servant for us, all credit to him. I just don’t feel it’s as big a loss now as it may have been 3 or 5 years ago, say.
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm
Bigredwarrior Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Azul wrote:
How many of us genuinely feel we missed MM during the season he was out with his broken leg?
Powell did fine for us, IMO. He would do so again for me. It’s a shame pedestrian TL won’t retire and leave SP to it on his own at 9.

MM has been a great servant for us, all credit to him. I just don’t feel it’s as big a loss now as it may have been 3 or 5 years ago, say.

Powell offers nothing in attack and whilst he provides adequate cover for injury, he should never be our 1st choice 9.
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 pm
Posted by Sweaty Betty's on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 pm
Sweaty Betty's Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Our hookers will never be effective with our game plan. Cam Smith would look average!
PreviousNext