WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Gelling on the wing!
Re: Gelling on the wing!
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am
Posted by 13warriors on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am
13warriors User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

The trouble he has playing on the left wing is that he's consistently carrying the ball in his right hand (he did it in every one of his carries last night). This is preventing him from handing off covering defenders or giving defenders a big fend, knocking them off balance, before going round them a la paaaat. Its a relatively small thing, but it makes a HUGE difference for bigger wingers with slightly less pace and i'm amazed one of the coaches haven't picked up on this.

I will add this is fine if he's playing Centre as it allows him to offload to his winger, but as a winger it's really not helping him and could be why he's seen spilling so much ball under contact. As a professional you should really be able to carry the ball in either hand.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,914

Quiz Score: 0

Bilko wrote:
Not sure what he's offering myself. Give Ryan King a shot!

I think Ryan King's form has dipped this season.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,914

Rogues Gallery wrote:
I think Ryan King's form has dipped this season.

I agree. When I've seen him this year he's been pretty unspectacular. He'll finish tries off like a natural winger will but he's not doing much anywhere else on the pitch. At the moment he'd be comparable to Jamie Foster.

If anyone deserves a shot on the wing it's Joe Burgess. If Williams is being considered for the first team then Burgess must be too.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 am
Posted by JCWWRL on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 am
JCWWRL User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I think he's doing a good enough job its just in a big game I'd rather see a winger who will make a run for the line when he has the room. George seems to get the ball out to him alot with room to run and he doesn't take it steps inside and is gang tackled and carried out or knocks on quite abit. Murphy seems to be in the match day squad quite alot recently so is he in Wane's plans more than the other young wingers I'd assume.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,914

Gelling just has something about him that I like. He's like bamby on ice at points with his long legs and arms flaying about the place but he has something about him. I'm convinced he isn't a winger but he's got a lot of talent and with patience, good coaching and a chance in a position more suited to his game I believe we've found a real talent.

He's frustrating at times but I honestly believe if we're patient he'll repay everyone's faith.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 pm
Posted by shambawangy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 pm
shambawangy User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

People are not happy about him cutting on the inside, but put quite simply he hasnt got the pace to beat a man on the outside, nor a decent fend to stop him being put in touch.

Ideally he would be put at centre/SR but we have plenty of players in that position so for me he is doing a decent Job.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm
Posted by LovesToSpooge on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm
LovesToSpooge User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I like Gelling I think he's got a lot going for him, he just lacks that extra bit of pace to get around his opposite winger. He's a real handful in the tackle, has great feet and doesn't shirk the tough stuff.

I'd like to see him get a few games at centre to really judge him fairly.
Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score.

Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds

Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum.

Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight!

Esse quam videri.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:11 pm
Posted by Bearpit on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:11 pm
Bearpit Stevo's Armpit

This lad with our coaching system should get better and better he is a raw talent and playing out of position but he seems to fit in with our style of play at the moment. Defensively good takes it in hard in our own 20 giving our forwards some time. In my view he is our best option at present and can only keep improving.
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 pm
Posted by 13warriors on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 pm
13warriors User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

shambawangy wrote:
People are not happy about him cutting on the inside, but put quite simply he hasnt got the pace to beat a man on the outside, nor a decent fend to stop him being put in touch.

Ideally he would be put at centre/SR but we have plenty of players in that position so for me he is doing a decent Job.

If he carried the ball in the correct hand he might well have a good fend.. He's easily big enough!
Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:56 pm
Posted by pie.warrior on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:56 pm
pie.warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

well at least he is in the best place on the field to watch a master in the craft of centre play, being outside George can only be good for him to pick up how a centre should play the game at this level. He might be Waney's option for next year for all we know in place of George.
A Pie is for life, not just a Wembley Final
PreviousNext