JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Sep 13 11:0318th Jun 12 10:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 am  
simple.... have a 2 tier sl with 10 teams in each tier and have promotion and relegation. could have for example...

tier 1
wigan
leeds
saints
wire
catalan
hull
hull kr
brad
hudders
london

tier 2

salford
wakey
cas
featherstone
leigh
barrow
halifax
batley
widnes
sheffield
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 200618 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Jan 24 21:3821st Jan 24 21:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:04 pm  
He said the same on the NRL Footy Show last week where he was a special guest
RankPostsTeam
International Star131No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 19 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 13 12:047th Jan 13 16:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I Just Can't Get Enough!!!
Ellery Hanley For England!

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 am  
cherryandwhitedavid06 wrote:
He said the same on the NRL Footy Show last week where he was a special guest

Is there any way of watching the footy show over here? Can you stream it or get it on Premier Sports? I love that program.
Pemps 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 200519 years256th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 07:4216th Nov 23 17:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
king warrior wrote:
Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:32 am  
Hendy Charming wrote:
Is there any way of watching the footy show over here? Can you stream it or get it on Premier Sports? I love that program.

There are clips on YouTube.
RankPostsTeam
International Star17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 15 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Jun 12 17:5419th Jun 12 17:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 pm  
For me we need to seriously reduce the imports in our game in order to improve the quality of our home grown players. Under Nobby at Wigan, Sam Tomkins was in the 20,s and not going any further ( in fact nearly on his way out ) because he thought he was not big enough. Tim Smith got injured and he had to bring him in to the team, the rest they say is h.......

There are too may overseas players + coaches in our game, a lot of young players never get the correct amount of game time in their strongest position because of this, I know results, results, results ! only matter and winning trophies because its a business. The demise started when teams like Wigan, Saints, etc went looking down under in the 80,s and don,t get me wrong I loved watching Kenny, Meninnga, Miles etc, and this trend has continued ever since.

The trade off is, our own lads never get the right chances and hence we never produce the correct amount of talent we should do. There is enough playing talent round the north west alone in RL to produce enough players if they are coached correctly and more importantly given the correct chances. ( over-rated Kiwi stand off playing for England instead of ? )

Its the same in the Premier league, too many foreign players and not enough home grown lads. How many non-Aussies play in the NRL ? not many, how many non Spanish play in their football league, not many.

If they had kept the overseas quota in and reduced it to 2 players years ago, there would be a lot more players like Tomkins knocking about in SL.

Imo this is the only way we can go forward in SL in order to improve our own league + chances of competing against the Aussies. I also think the player pool is not bigger enough yet to support 14 competative teams in SL
Lazy J 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner517No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 09 200321 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 11:1218th Mar 24 16:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Ashvegas a one horse town, where they shot the horse!
Signature
Leigh....They still point at planes!

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm  
nicktom wrote:
For me we need to seriously reduce the imports in our game in order to improve the quality of our home grown players. Under Nobby at Wigan, Sam Tomkins was in the 20,s and not going any further ( in fact nearly on his way out ) because he thought he was not big enough. Tim Smith got injured and he had to bring him in to the team, the rest they say is h.......

There are lots of urban myths regarding Nobby and Sam, a quick check of the teams listings up untill Smiths injury and Nobbys damascus moment shows that out of 21 games before smiths injury Sam started 9 and was sub in 6, so hardly rotting in the 20's

Sam was young and inexperienced, but an obvious talent, it needed protecting and nurturing, throwing him or any kid in at the deep end is a sure fire way of ruining a carreer.

nicktom wrote:
There are too may overseas players + coaches in our game, a lot of young players never get the correct amount of game time in their strongest position because of this, I know results, results, results ! only matter and winning trophies because its a business. The demise started when teams like Wigan, Saints, etc went looking down under in the 80,s and don,t get me wrong I loved watching Kenny, Meninnga, Miles etc, and this trend has continued ever since.

whats the problem with overseas coaches? Mcguire turned us round, the last english coach to win the grand fibal was Mcdermott, but that seemed to be a Dorahay moment by Leeds rather than anything else, other than that its mainly aussies and new zelanders that coach well.

nicktom wrote:
The trade off is, our own lads never get the right chances and hence we never produce the correct amount of talent we should do. There is enough playing talent round the north west alone in RL to produce enough players if they are coached correctly and more importantly given the correct chances. ( over-rated Kiwi stand off playing for England instead of ? ).

but does that talent have the attitude and dedication to become a full international player, as Monie always said out of a winning youth team you would be lucky if 4 went on to become fully established pros.

you refer to the NRL, they are not embarrased to have other nationalities play for them, Tony Carroll springs to mind, isnt Petro Civenaciva(sp) a south sea islander?

nicktom wrote:
Its the same in the Premier league, too many foreign players and not enough home grown lads. How many non-Aussies play in the NRL ? not many, how many non Spanish play in their football league, not many.

couldnt comment on football, but shall we ignore the New zealanders, tongans and other south sea islanders plus a handfull of brits who ply their trade in the NRL?

nicktom wrote:
If they had kept the overseas quota in and reduced it to 2 players years ago, there would be a lot more players like Tomkins knocking about in SL.

Imo this is the only way we can go forward in SL in order to improve our own league + chances of competing against the Aussies. I also think the player pool is not bigger enough yet to support 14 competative teams in SL

if we had reduced the quota where would these players have magically appeared from? the game is littered with kids who had a talent or natural size advantage and looked like world beaters at an early age, but either get disillusioned with the game or stop developing, for every Sam Tomkins, there are a a dozen Darryl Laceys.

I normally avoid posting in this way, but the problem isnt too many overeseas players, its too many clubs in SL chasing too few players and spectators, there are too many blow out games with one sided score lines, before we can address the problems with the national side, we need to make the weekly rounds more competative, this can only be done with 10 teams!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 05 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Aug 17 05:1811th Oct 16 16:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:30 pm  
nicktom wrote:

It doesn't matter how many times Eddie Hemmings spouts this on Sky it's NOT TRUE!
RankPostsTeam
International Star17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 15 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Jun 12 17:5419th Jun 12 17:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 pm  
Well we agree on one thing that there are too many teams..... I never suggested that Sam was rotting in the 20,s. I am a great believer in the saying " if your good enough your old enough " I do not believe Sam was being protected, and his older brother was defo not being protected, there were held back in the 20,s because at the time there was imo over rated players playing in the same positions.

Why do they get disillusioned ? You only need to look at the way Wigan are now progressing with lads who have come up through the system, MM, Precky,Sam,Hock,Tuson,Mossop,Goulding, Charnley etc, compared with other clubs who look overseas to fill all the key positions. If piggy had stayed, would MM be playing 1st team now ? I,m not saying we will produce another 20 Sam Tomkins but there would be a hell of a lot more quality young British players.

Why is it over the years that we have continued to beat the Aussies at youth level, but fail at test level ? imo its because over there, and yes they have a more competitive league, but alot of them lads progress to play 1st grade quicker. Over here how long does at lad in his 20,s have to wait to get a 1st team chance, unless they are exceptional.

In my view these English players would have come to the top because they would have been coached correctly and then play the correct level in order to develop them in to, perhaps not superstars but good quality internationals.

As for coaches, yes MM was very good for Wigan I 100% agree. However how many Aussie assistance coaches have failed over here ? alot. If we go on to win 3 trophies this year do you think SW would have MM to thank for his schooling and ultimately his success ? I would suggest that if you asked him, he would say he learned a lot from him but also MM learnt a lot from him in aspects of the game.
Last edited by nicktom on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phibes 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach314No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 28 200816 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 07:2119th Feb 24 18:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 pm  
It doesn't matter what Ellery thinks about the standard of the SL competition because Craig Sandercock begs to differ. :roll:

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/12/06/19/RUGBYL_Sandercock.html&BID=480

To save anyone reading the article, here's the crux of his argument.

"I've been very impressed to tell the truth, it's possibly better than I thought it would be."

"Possibly better"?? Maybe the RFL need someone else to do their positive PR spin. I hear Shaun McCrae's available.
It doesn't matter what Ellery thinks about the standard of the SL competition because Craig Sandercock begs to differ. :roll:

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/12/06/19/RUGBYL_Sandercock.html&BID=480

To save anyone reading the article, here's the crux of his argument.

"I've been very impressed to tell the truth, it's possibly better than I thought it would be."

"Possibly better"?? Maybe the RFL need someone else to do their positive PR spin. I hear Shaun McCrae's available.
Lazy J 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner517No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 09 200321 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 11:1218th Mar 24 16:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Ashvegas a one horse town, where they shot the horse!
Signature
Leigh....They still point at planes!

Re: Ellery hanley has his say : Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm  
its dificult with Joel, he was a forward and a much bigger frame than Sam, and a better athelete, so he was physically ready before sam was, but the point still holds about the myth of nobby and sam, as someone else has posted, its a myth created by wiggy.

yes at the moment the wigan team is full of home produced players, and we are and should be proud, but the it has taken 6 or 7 years to get to this stage, hock made his debut in 2003, lockers 2002, mixed in with players who have broken through in the last 2 years, but we dont have an english half or stand off, we have a couple of outstanding prospects, but robinson and brown were suposed to be our half back pairing for years to come, now robinson is a hooker at shuddersfield and brown is really journryman who peaked in a televised game against the old enemy, its difficult to predict how a player will develop.

we do beat the aussies at youth level, which suggests the skills are there, but look the progression from u16, our players go on to u18's and u20's where some clubs cant raise a team and games get cancelled, the aussies progress to the bartercard league to learn and hone thier skills, again 2 few players or 2 many clubs in the uk which ever way you look at it, this needs addressing there needs to be a set development ladder, that may be loaning young players out at NL level but the current set up is not fit for purpose. at the end of the day there are only 17 first team shirts available every week and its a balancing act who to play in those shirts for both short and long term success, if the supporting structures are correct and players are plying at a higher intensity even in the u18's the first team will benefit.

you are right about SW, but it will have been a two way street, he will have learned a lot from MM.
PreviousNext