WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *

Re: * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *
Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:11 pm
Posted by Tricky Dicky on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:11 pm
Tricky Dicky User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:23 pm
Posts: 5853
Location: Wigan
Riggs Warrior wrote:
he can't return for poop! Keep Pat in his best position, don't move him just to 'do a job'.
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Why on earth would we go for Widdop.

Hasn't Pat been in top three metre makers in the team since his second season? And i'm sure he was top last year wasn't he? When he mostly played fb?



I didnt think pat did a bad job as a full back.
"We Need to start running hard and smashing people"

"We are going to be fitter than we have ever been"

"The Culture needs to Change"

"We need to be getting to Old Trafford and Wembley and winning games"

"We will be fitter than we have ever been"

"We will do contact like we have never done before"


"WE WILL DO THINGS THE WIGAN WAY"


SHAUN WANE 2009
Re: * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *
Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:28 pm
Posted by jonh on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:28 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 16606
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Why on earth would we go for Widdop.

We have equally as good at the club already in the reserves. Briscoe suggestion was inkeeping with the wigan theme.

Personally i think we may move pat to full back and give ainscough a starting wing spot with vievers, thornley charnley or marsh providing the depth in 2011.


Widdop is being tipped for an International call up sooner rather than later, he is young non quota and off contract.

We do not have a natural top standard fullback at the club in my opinion.

I appreciate he is an unknown quantity by us in the UK, but were our coach the man that helped develop him and more than likely knows his game in and out willing to bring him to the club I would be more than happy.

It cannot have been easy for him as a Brit to be named in the junior Australian Club team of the year and also score the match winning try in the Grand Final, lets be honest the lad is clearly talented. The fact that he is young and British are also real draws.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:12 am
Posted by AJ on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:12 am
AJ User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:50 pm
Posts: 12899
If Maguire is as good as it seems he may be. Im excited by how he will develop Phelps game, he was one of our best players last season, is clearly the best fb at the club and has some skill with ball in hand.

Why oh why people keep going on about the fullback position is beyond me.

Centre & Prop are two that come to mind as more pressing issues for the next couple of seasons.
Re: * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 am
Posted by jonh on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 16606
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
AJ wrote:
If Maguire is as good as it seems he may be. Im excited by how he will develop Phelps game, he was one of our best players last season, is clearly the best fb at the club and has some skill with ball in hand.

Why oh why people keep going on about the fullback position is beyond me.

Centre & Prop are two that come to mind as more pressing issues for the next couple of seasons.


The reason that i point out the availability of a fullback is that Phelps is on a 1 year deal, and we will have to fit the reduced quota for 2011. I think a Prop is a priority but he will come from overseas and take a quota spot, as will no doubt a centre if we need one.

I like Phelps but he needs to be a top player to earn a quota spot, if there is a young British alternative available and our coach deems him up to the standard allowing us to use quota spots on other areas we need to strengthen for the good of the team then he is in a vulnerable position.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:47 am
Posted by MattyB on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:47 am
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:31 pm
Posts: 17975
jonh wrote:
The reason that i point out the availability of a fullback is that Phelps is on a 1 year deal, and we will have to fit the reduced quota for 2011. I think a Prop is a priority but he will come from overseas and take a quota spot, as will no doubt a centre if we need one.

I like Phelps but he needs to be a top player to earn a quota spot, if there is a young British alternative available and our coach deems him up to the standard allowing us to use quota spots on other areas we need to strengthen for the good of the team then he is in a vulnerable position.



Indeed. As I said earlier, although Phelp's is likeable and solid, we need our overseas recruits to be of a higher calibre and Phelps ain't no Garry Jack or Andrew Ettingshausen.
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013 & 2016

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012



Re: * * * Rumours & Signings XVI * * *
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am
Posted by jonh on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 16606
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
MattyB wrote:
Indeed. As I said earlier, although Phelp's is likeable and solid, we need our overseas recruits to be of a higher calibre and Phelps ain't no Garry Jack or Andrew Ettingshausen.


I am not writing him off, and think he is capable of earning a new deal, but he needs a big season and the length of his contract extension clearly shows the club feel the same.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Allez, apollosghost, Leythersteve, RichieS, Sweaty Betty's, WiganPom and 97 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,669,40790176,3834,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 2nd Feb 19:30
SUPER LEAGUE
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 10th Feb 08:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sat 17th Feb
WCC
SOUTHS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 23rd Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WARRINGTON
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 2nd Mar 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WIDNES VIKINGS
Sun 11th Mar 15:00
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 18th Mar 15:30
SUPER LEAGUE
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 23rd Mar 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 30th Mar 15:00
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Mon 2nd Apr 15:00
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM