Re: Young Forwards
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 am
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 98th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 12

You can’t cobble together all criticism from various posters to make your point though. Unless you know an individual who holds those opinions. I, for example, have both praised and criticised the players, team, coach, owner, etc depending on what I saw (or thought I saw!) at various stages over many years.

You could probably pull a list together of positive and adverse comments on most people on here, DaveO excepted :wink:
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:08 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:08 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 45th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 0

Back on topic.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Liam Byrne can make the step up from academy level. He's not your flash prop forward but only knows one way, run straight and hard. I watched him play for Ireland recently and he certainly didn't take a backward step. He's just turned nineteen years of age, but with no reserve league may have to go out on loan or dual reg which is a shame.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 am
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 98th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 12

I’m happy at prop because I think Bullock will go well as a replacement for Sutton. Second/back row is a different matter. At full strength we are good with Isa on the bench but we will almost certainly have to dig deeper than that as injuries bite. I feel this year is a great opportunity for our young back rowers. There’s enough quality there for at least one of them to break through.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 am
Posted by NSW on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 am
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 27
Rep Position: 82nd / 77,341

Wells has talent - went okay in a struggling first team in 2017. Was very impressive in the 19s grand final that year. Think the club rate him highly.

Field - played games in 2017 and showed talent I thought, had a good spell against saints away at one point. Looked out of his depth this year in his couple of games. Not big enough for the front row. Thought he may get released.

Barnes - been in the first team squad two years I think but yet to play. Don’t know much about him. Think 2019 is the last year of his deal.

Kibula - can be anything he wants if he applies himself. Obviously immense size which we need but is also a good ball player. Is his work rate in D good enough? Needs a great Pre-season.

Paisley - played above his weight last year. Was impressed with him. Wire at home he went particularly well in. Him and wells will be competing for game time.

Partington - at first was confused as to why he was getting picked over Kibula. But this guy is a real “wane” type of forward. Really aggressive - not scared of anyone. Think he’ll force his way into the team next year and maybe even replace Clubb/flower in a couple of years.

Love talking young players, like has been said bringing these lads through is the key to success. Rather than big money signings. These lads that come through play with so much passion for the club.

Also looking forward to see how Woods and Forsyth progress.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 am
Posted by thepimp007 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 am
thepimp007 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 46
Rep Position: 63rd / 77,341

Quiz Score: 432

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Back on topic.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Liam Byrne can make the step up from academy level. He's not your flash prop forward but only knows one way, run straight and hard. I watched him play for Ireland recently and he certainly didn't take a backward step. He's just turned nineteen years of age, but with no reserve league may have to go out on loan or dual reg which is a shame.

I was watching the games as Ethan Ryan was playing (whom I thought was superb by the way) and was highly impressed with Byrne. As you say plays with little regard for his body, can't ask more than that from a prop forward. The club obviously did an interview and piece on him on the website may mean he is at the forefront of their thoughts for 2019. Looking forward to him getting his chance
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am
Posted by Sweaty Betty's on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 14
Rep Position: 95th / 77,341

Transgressing slightly, Harry Smith has been offered a new deal. I think this lad could be our next top halfback.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:49 pm
Posted by JonnyBroad on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:49 pm
JonnyBroad Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 105th / 77,341

NSW wrote:
Wells has talent - went okay in a struggling first team in 2017. Was very impressive in the 19s grand final that year. Think the club rate him highly.

Field - played games in 2017 and showed talent I thought, had a good spell against saints away at one point. Looked out of his depth this year in his couple of games. Not big enough for the front row. Thought he may get released.

Barnes - been in the first team squad two years I think but yet to play. Don’t know much about him. Think 2019 is the last year of his deal.

Kibula - can be anything he wants if he applies himself. Obviously immense size which we need but is also a good ball player. Is his work rate in D good enough? Needs a great Pre-season.

Paisley - played above his weight last year. Was impressed with him. Wire at home he went particularly well in. Him and wells will be competing for game time.

Partington - at first was confused as to why he was getting picked over Kibula. But this guy is a real “wane” type of forward. Really aggressive - not scared of anyone. Think he’ll force his way into the team next year and maybe even replace Clubb/flower in a couple of years.

Love talking young players, like has been said bringing these lads through is the key to success. Rather than big money signings. These lads that come through play with so much passion for the club.

six players there with a big future in the game, nice to read some possitivity for a change. you never know if we keep at it then who knows it might catch on.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:30 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:30 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 43
Rep Position: 66th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 248

JonnyBroad wrote:
six players there with a big future in the game, nice to read some possitivity for a change. you never know if we keep at it then who knows it might catch on.

Maybe you could become the change you want to see in the world. Do you have a view on any of our young forwards?
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:33 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:33 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 43
Rep Position: 66th / 77,341

Quiz Score: 248

NSW wrote:

Thanks, pleasing and informative to read this. Due to other rugby commitments, I don't get to see as much of our fringe players as I'd like. I definitely agree that home grown talent is now the key to success rather than signings. The reality is that we can produce/develop far better players than we can realistically sign.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 pm
Posted by JonnyBroad on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 pm
JonnyBroad Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 105th / 77,341

Grimmy wrote:
Maybe you could become the change you want to see in the world. Do you have a view on any of our young forwards?

yes i do, if you read my original post it says i think they all have a future in the game. not all at Wigan i will add. i think its a big season for Jack Wells this one as i see him in front of the others in the pecking order but as i have said on many occasions we dont know how Lam will approach it all?? if we have a pretty much injury free season then the mentioned six players will be lucky to feature.
PreviousNext