WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 pm
Posted by Tricky Dicky on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 pm
Tricky Dicky User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Wigan are potentially walking a tight rope wit hJB.

Wigan correctly want a transfer fee to release JB from the final year of his deal. JB has rejected Wigans take it or leave it offer of a new deal. He does however have a contract with Wigan for 2019 following which he can walk away for nothing.

No one has muted JB may simply see out his deal with Wigan and join the raiders in 2020 for free.

Everyone has assumed he is joining Canberra next year when infact it may be from the season after next.
"We Need to start running hard and smashing people"

"We are going to be fitter than we have ever been"

"The Culture needs to Change"

"We need to be getting to Old Trafford and Wembley and winning games"

"We will be fitter than we have ever been"

"We will do contact like we have never done before"

"WE WILL DO THINGS THE WIGAN WAY"

SHAUN WANE 2009
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:09 am
Posted by Sweaty Betty's on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:09 am
Sweaty Betty's Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,216

Quiz Score: 0

jonh wrote:
Dylan Walker rumoured to be heading to Toronto.

A player who is worth genuine marquee money, goal kicking centre of half back.

Yep, we should be on that horse.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 am
Posted by tedglen on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 am
tedglen User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Tricky Dicky wrote:

No one has muted JB may simply see out his deal with Wigan and join the raiders in 2020 for free.

Everyone has assumed he is joining Canberra next year when infact it may be from the season after next.

:idea: Makes sense.
It was mooted that the transfer fee could be the stumbling block...
"Just leave it to me"
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 am
Posted by DaveO on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 am
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,216

Tricky Dicky wrote:
Wigan are potentially walking a tight rope wit hJB.

Wigan correctly want a transfer fee to release JB from the final year of his deal. JB has rejected Wigans take it or leave it offer of a new deal. He does however have a contract with Wigan for 2019 following which he can walk away for nothing.

What? I thought everyone was aware if he got to go for 2019 a fee was involved and if no one paid it he would leave at the end of next season for free.

I am not sure what sort of tightrope this is in that I'd rather have him here another year and go for free than not have him and get some cash. He seems very committed despite all these talks of a move so him along with Greenwood is a far more exciting prospect than Greenwood replacing him. We don't know what fee Wigan placed on him for an early release for 2019 but whatever it is, Wigan should insist on it and if no one pays keep him for 2019. If Wigan expected and wanted an NRL side to stump up the cash for 2019 I am disappointed because I'd like to think the transfer fee was a deterrent to NRL sides not a money making punt from Wigan where they expect a windfall.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,216

If Bateman leaves with no fee coming in return then huge questions need to be asked. There is no point signing a deal like that to then not bother sticking to it. The power that will give any player who fancies an NRL stint in the future and any NRL club who fancies one of our players doesn’t bare thinking about.

No fee=no deal and he walks away for 2020.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 am
Posted by tugglesf78 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 am
tugglesf78 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,216

DaveO wrote:
What? I thought everyone was aware if he got to go for 2019 a fee was involved and if no one paid it he would leave at the end of next season for free.

I am not sure what sort of tightrope this is in that I'd rather have him here another year and go for free than not have him and get some cash. He seems very committed despite all these talks of a move so him along with Greenwood is a far more exciting prospect than Greenwood replacing him. We don't know what fee Wigan placed on him for an early release for 2019 but whatever it is, Wigan should insist on it and if no one pays keep him for 2019. If Wigan expected and wanted an NRL side to stump up the cash for 2019 I am disappointed because I'd like to think the transfer fee was a deterrent to NRL sides not a money making punt from Wigan where they expect a windfall.

Eh?

Why can’t a transfer fee not be both a deterrent and a cash generating excercise?

I know you like a good old whinge Dave, however is that not a really good thing?

Why the hell would that be disappointing news?
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am
Posted by CobraCraig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am
CobraCraig Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

We should be all over Dylan Walker is he’s available, would be well worth the marquee tag.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,216

CobraCraig wrote:
We should be all over Dylan Walker is he’s available, would be well worth the marquee tag.

Totally agree. He's exactly what we need, a quality back who plays centre and in the halves. Would be a great signing.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm
Posted by DaveO on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm
DaveO User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,216

tugglesf78 wrote:
Eh?

Why can’t a transfer fee not be both a deterrent and a cash generating excercise?

I know you like a good old whinge Dave, however is that not a really good thing?

Why the hell would that be disappointing news?

I am not sure what is so difficult to understand about this "If Wigan expected and wanted an NRL side to stump up the cash for 2019 I am disappointed because I'd like to think the transfer fee was a deterrent to NRL sides not a money making punt from Wigan where they expect a windfall."

To try and explain, if Wigan put a huge fee on him because they wanted to keep him until 2020 and expected the fee to be a real deterrent then great. If however they set the fee at a level they thought an NRL team would bite at, effectively putting a "for sale" sign around his neck then not great.
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,216

DaveO wrote:
I am not sure what is so difficult to understand about this "If Wigan expected and wanted an NRL side to stump up the cash for 2019 I am disappointed because I'd like to think the transfer fee was a deterrent to NRL sides not a money making punt from Wigan where they expect a windfall."

To try and explain, if Wigan put a huge fee on him because they wanted to keep him until 2020 and expected the fee to be a real deterrent then great. If however they set the fee at a level they thought an NRL team would bite at, effectively putting a "for sale" sign around his neck then not great.

I doubt the fee would’ve been a measure to act as a deterrent because if it was high then I doubt Bateman would’ve signed the contract.

It’ll be realistic by modern standards I’d have thought and put in as a way of keeping him last time whilst also covering us should a club come in for him. If I had to guess at an amount I’d have thought it would be around the £100,000-£120,000 mark and that’s why I really hope we stick to our guns and don’t accept anything under what was in the contract, even if that risks him walking away for nothing at the end of 2019.

Bateman has said in an interview with Sky today that nothing is sorted either way and that he’s very happy at Wigan. His words were that he keeps ‘batting it back and forth with Wigan’ and that it’s a huge decision due to his family as it’s on the other side of the world so we can only keep our fingers crossed we’ve still a chance.
PreviousNext