WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Undervaluing our own produced players

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Undervaluing our own produced players

Re: Undervaluing our own produced players
Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 pm
Posted by Ziggy Stardust on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 pm
Ziggy Stardust User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 28
Rep Position: 83rd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:11 pm
Posts: 2958
Location: Serpo
Grimmy wrote:
Did you miss Leeds winning eight Grand Finals, two Challenge Cups and three World Club Challenges since '04, heavily relying on home grown talent throughout?


Keith Senior, Marcus Bai, Chris Mckenna, Ali Lauatiti, David Furner, Willie Poaching, Barrie McDermott, Brent Webb, Scott Donald, Clinton Toopi, Kylie Leuluai, Jamie Peacock, Gareth Ellis, Luke Burgess, Danny Buderus, Brett Delaney, Darrell Griffin, Shaun Lunt, Joel Moon, Mitch Garbutt, Adam Cuthbertson, Tom Briscoe, Matt Parcell, Brett Ferres.

Off the top of my head, either big signings from the UK or from overseas that have played and made a great difference in the grand finals Leeds have won.

The key is to sign good players to complement your homegrown lads, we don't.
Re: Undervaluing our own produced players
Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:36 pm
Posted by Jukesays on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:36 pm
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 49
Rep Position: 62nd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 pm
Posts: 5592
Location: Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Keith Senior, Marcus Bai, Chris Mckenna, Ali Lauatiti, David Furner, Willie Poaching, Barrie McDermott, Brent Webb, Scott Donald, Clinton Toopi, Kylie Leuluai, Jamie Peacock, Gareth Ellis, Luke Burgess, Danny Buderus, Brett Delaney, Darrell Griffin, Shaun Lunt, Joel Moon, Mitch Garbutt, Adam Cuthbertson, Tom Briscoe, Matt Parcell, Brett Ferres.

Off the top of my head, either big signings from the UK or from overseas that have played and made a great difference in the grand finals Leeds have won.

The key is to sign good players to complement your homegrown lads, we don't.


Just out at moment, if nobodies done it before I get back later this afternoon ill name equally as many that Wigan have signed since Keith senior signed for Leeds!
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Posted by Ziggy Stardust on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 pm
Ziggy Stardust User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 28
Rep Position: 83rd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:11 pm
Posts: 2958
Location: Serpo
Jukesays wrote:
Just out at moment, if nobodies done it before I get back later this afternoon ill name equally as many that Wigan have signed since Keith senior signed for Leeds!


Name as many as you like, i started from 2004 when Leeds started their Grand Final winning run, so maybe start at 2010 as we were hopeless for the best part of a decade before then.
Posted by Jukesays on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 49
Rep Position: 62nd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 pm
Posts: 5592
Location: Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Name as many as you like, i started from 2004 when Leeds started their Grand Final winning run, so maybe start at 2010 as we were hopeless for the best part of a decade before then.


And isn't that point proved?
And why were we pants?
Because we spent too much money on too few big name players that didn't work and until 2008/2009 didn't invest/protect/pay etc the youth coming though.
We didn't have a squad big enough to complete if those big name players didn't work or got injured.
And we're too quick to bin off youngsters if they weren't world beaters by 19/20/21
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Posted by Levrier on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:48 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 27
Rep Position: 84th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 844
Other than for money reasons why do we have an u16/u19th split? Did u16/u18/u20/1 not cover all of the bases? I remember amature clubs running colts A and B teams on a shoe string. I am aware that having too many lads can impact local amature sport but how many later developers are lost completely to the game because of lack of opportunities.
Posted by Ziggy Stardust on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:53 pm
Ziggy Stardust User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 28
Rep Position: 83rd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:11 pm
Posts: 2958
Location: Serpo
Jukesays wrote:
And isn't that point proved?
And why were we pants?
Because we spent too much money on too few big name players that didn't work and until 2008/2009 didn't invest/protect/pay etc the youth coming though.
We didn't have a squad big enough to complete if those big name players didn't work or got injured.
And we're too quick to bin off youngsters if they weren't world beaters by 19/20/21


Yeah, we threw too much money at average overseas players, but now we are throwing too much money at average homegrown players.

Look at our current signed in players 'Sarg, Clubb, Flower, Isa, Tautai, Bateman, Hamlin' Bang average apart from Bateman, these players are supposed to compliment our homegrown but how can they when they are average joe's.

We have two Marquee player slots, two slots where you can sign a player on 1 million a year if you wish with only 100 grand counting on the cap, and we have ST and GW in those slots. They both should be on a good wage but not a Marquee wage.

The cap management is terrible, we are spending more than any other club but i can't see where the money is going.

We do have some good young players in the team but they are not being helped by the really poor recruitment from outside the club.

It as if Waney doesn't want anyone else in the club if they have a big ego or different view to his practices.
Re: Undervaluing our own produced players
Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:08 pm
Posted by Geoff on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:08 pm
Geoff User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 5443
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Yeah, we threw too much money at average overseas players, but now we are throwing too much money at average homegrown players.

Look at our current signed in players 'Sarg, Clubb, Flower, Isa, Tautai, Bateman, Hamlin' Bang average apart from Bateman, these players are supposed to compliment our homegrown but how can they when they are average joe's.

We have two Marquee player slots, two slots where you can sign a player on 1 million a year if you wish with only 100 grand counting on the cap, and we have ST and GW in those slots. They both should be on a good wage but not a Marquee wage.

The cap management is terrible, we are spending more than any other club but i can't see where the money is going.

We do have some good young players in the team but they are not being helped by the really poor recruitment from outside the club.

It as if Waney doesn't want anyone else in the club if they have a big ego or different view to his practices.


But "big signings" are few and far between at any SL club, and from those few, even fewer can be counted a success. SL clubs won't let their own superstars go to other SL clubs without a very good reason, and available NRL stars are either unaffordable, leave early for "personal reasons" or come with baggage attached.
Posted by Jeff the God of Biscuits on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:35 pm
Jeff the God of Biscuits User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 104th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 2974
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Not sure on your point here, perhaps I've misunderstood.

Leeds only develop their own? They've had a good mix of their own talent and signings... they've got the mix right for the most part.


I think his point was that Bradford spent big money on Harris, and it pretty much doomed them and the club.

Leeds built a team around 5 or 6 outstanding local talents and built a dynasty from that.

It's not quite as cut and dry as that, but I believe this was the point being made.
Don't let your love turn to hate
Now we've got to keep the faith

Wigan Rugby League
Posted by Cherry_&_White on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:34 pm
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 100th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am
Posts: 160
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Yeah, we threw too much money at average overseas players, but now we are throwing too much money at average homegrown players.

Look at our current signed in players 'Sarg, Clubb, Flower, Isa, Tautai, Bateman, Hamlin' Bang average apart from Bateman, these players are supposed to compliment our homegrown but how can they when they are average joe's.

We have two Marquee player slots, two slots where you can sign a player on 1 million a year if you wish with only 100 grand counting on the cap, and we have ST and GW in those slots. They both should be on a good wage but not a Marquee wage.

The cap management is terrible, we are spending more than any other club but i can't see where the money is going.

We do have some good young players in the team but they are not being helped by the really poor recruitment from outside the club.

It as if Waney doesn't want anyone else in the club if they have a big ego or different view to his practices.


Not sure how you put Flower in the bang average bracket when he's achieved more than plenty of the Leeds players in your list.

For that matter, I'd argue Sarge has had a bigger impact in winning trophys than some of those Leeds names, Ferres, Griffin & Garbutt (so far) to name a few.
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 65
Rep Position: 47th / 77,345

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 3928
Jeff the God of Biscuits wrote:
I think his point was that Bradford spent big money on Harris, and it pretty much doomed them and the club.

Leeds built a team around 5 or 6 outstanding local talents and built a dynasty from that.

It's not quite as cut and dry as that, but I believe this was the point being made.


Thanks Jeff, I honestly couldn't understand his point as Leeds, to me, as a good mixture of local and signings.

They had the likes of Sinfield, Burrow, Danny Mags, but also brought in the likes of Peacock. Webb, Hardaker, Senior, Kyle to name few.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CM Punk, CyberPieMan, J L Hooker, Last Son of Wigan, MelbourneWarrior and 125 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,828,3801,26277,3454,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 31st Jan 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Fri 8th Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 17th Feb 19:00
WCC2019
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Sun 24th Feb 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 3rd Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 8th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th Mar 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 24th Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 31st Mar 15:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 5th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 12th Apr 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 19th Apr 15:15
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Mon 22nd Apr 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 27th Apr 17:00
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CASTLEFORD
Thu 2nd May 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sat 18th May 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 9th Jun 15:00
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 14th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 21st Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 27th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
SALFORD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






28