WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Closing the game out
Re: Closing the game out
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 pm
ksm1701 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Location: Formerly of Whelley via The River Caves, but now in the next best thing, Chorley!
tugglesf78 wrote:
I know Williams pretty much hit he ground running but his overnight success actually came after a tough first 12 months.

Due to injuries, I think Williams played at hooker more than he did at stand-off during his initial consistent run in the first team.

Agree with you on Shorrocks - not sure if he'll be ready to make the step-up to first team regular next year. Think he needs at least another season relatively injury free before we can see him as the incumbent scrum-half.
'Do you remember when we had that meeting in Orlando? We talked about how we were knocked out the previous year by Leeds. And at the end, I asked you one question. "Do you want to be a semi-final team? Or do you want to do something special?" You all said you wanted to win. But talking is easy – it needed you to believe. It needed you to work hard – harder than you had – and make sacrifices. You did all that. you worked for each other. You stuck together when it was tough. And because of your efforts, you sit here tonight as champions. I'm proud of you. Be proud of yourselves. You've done something special.'

Shaun Wane's post-Grand Final speech. 5th October 2013.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:10 pm
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

As the season has progressed it has started to dawn on people that getting rid of Smith has been a mistake. Game management and kicking in play have been woeful this season from scrum half. I can't quite believe that Tommy hasn't just swapped positions with Powell.

Waney has his favourites and it is clear that Tommy is one of them. I imagine that he will let the season run its' course then address the problem. The solution might be in Sam Tomkins reverting to the halves, but that depends on Escare being fit. Is Sam's body up to all the tackling he'll have to do?

I'd be more than happy with Tommy playing hooker, in fact it seems his natural position, just don't let him kick!

My own favoured solution is Danny Brough on a one year deal with the promise of a well paid second if he doesn't upset anyone(!!!), because he's the best attacking kicker in the league, including Gale. And let Shorrocks come through gradually.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Getting rid of Smith wasn't a mistake, replacing him with Tommy was. It's now obvious to everyone that we need a kicking 7. Smith's kicking game wasn't even that good, it just sort of got by but TL's is shocking at best.

I agree Powell and TL should swap around but no chance of that happening now, Wane is dead set on Powell being a 9, it seems like most of his creativeness has been coached out of him.
Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:25 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Aboveusonlypie wrote:
As the season has progressed it has started to dawn on people that getting rid of Smith has been a mistake. Game management and kicking in play have been woeful this season from scrum half. I can't quite believe that Tommy hasn't just swapped positions with Powell.

Waney has his favourites and it is clear that Tommy is one of them. I imagine that he will let the season run its' course then address the problem. The solution might be in Sam Tomkins reverting to the halves, but that depends on Escare being fit. Is Sam's body up to all the tackling he'll have to do?

I'd be more than happy with Tommy playing hooker, in fact it seems his natural position, just don't let him kick!

My own favoured solution is Danny Brough on a one year deal with the promise of a well paid second if he doesn't upset anyone(!!!), because he's the best attacking kicker in the league, including Gale. And let Shorrocks come through gradually.

Give it up mate, even Saints fans want rid of Smith. They both do nothing in attack but at least Leuluai defends well. Agree that we should try swapping Powell and Leuluai, risky at this point in the season I suppose. S.Tomkins to the halves and Leuluai to hooker next season would definitely appear to be the way to go. If Brough was ever going to sign for a big club, I think he would have done it by now. He also gives away a ridiculous number of penalties.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Previous