WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Patience lost
 

Re: Patience lost

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:07 pm
Posts: 30172
Levrier wrote:
I am even worried about Wells who has got progressively slower the more bulk he has put on. He was dominated in every collision and did not look able to make anyone's shoulder to receive the ball.



Wells has always seen as a prospective prop since signing at about 15 years of age.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Patience lost

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:01 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 21084
Location: WIGAN
Wells is very young and it may just take some time for him to get to a weight he feels comfortable with. He's huge at the minute but if he feels he's struggling carrying it then they may get him to shed some size for next year.

I don't think his size is anything that can be held against the coaching and conditioning staff though. We can't complain we lack size in one breath and then complain about players bulking up too much in the other. I really like the look of Wells and once he gets to grips with everything o think we'll have a fine player on our hands.

Re: Patience lost

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 am
Listerofsmeg Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:16 pm
Posts: 29
The team has had hardly any time to train together this year and people expect them to play like the Globetrotters.

So many players whose careers were nearly ended and fans expect them to be Billy Slaters terminator cousin in a month.

Williams has a few poor games and despite dragging the team through half the season he needs to be dropped.. oh but wane is naff for dropping other young players and ruining their confidence.

We have had nearly 2 years of constant disruptions and in that time have won the final and the wcc yet the coach responsible for bringing through 3/4 of the team and getting them to run through walls for him needs to go as we have had a bad run. Though nothing to do with half the squad being out as he managed that miracle last year... but doesn't get credit for it.

Dom, Gilly, Burgess, Willliams, Sutton, Powell, Davies, Shorrocks, Marshall. All thanks to Wane.

Yes I miss seeing the length of the field tries and yes current performances are frustrating but some perspective is needed. Someone even suggested getting rid of Powell! Where would be without him last year?

If after a full season with the normal amount of injuries we are 7th then yes, questions must be asked but for now please have some perspective.

Re: Patience lost

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 pm
Lazy J User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:42 pm
Posts: 445
Location: Ashvegas a one horse town, where they shot the horse!
It's nothing to do with playing like globetrotters, I'll settle for not playing like a team of strangers, at the moment they look like they've met in the car park and decided whose plying where. At the end of the day, they are pro players, their entire week is structured around those 80 mins at the weekend.

We can all see the basics of a decent team there, but the lack of leadership and craft rather than graft is worrying. Williams needs options, we are clueless in attack watching Williams run along a static line waiting for a runner is heartbreaking.
Leigh....They still point at planes!

Re: Patience lost

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm
Bigredwarrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 993
Lazy J wrote:
It's nothing to do with playing like globetrotters, I'll settle for not playing like a team of strangers, at the moment they look like they've met in the car park and decided whose plying where. At the end of the day, they are pro players, their entire week is structured around those 80 mins at the weekend.

We can all see the basics of a decent team there, but the lack of leadership and craft rather than graft is worrying. Williams needs options, we are clueless in attack watching Williams run along a static line waiting for a runner is heartbreaking.



Almost agree but if you can show me 2 back rowers in SL that run better lines at pace and strength that Faz and Bateman I'll eat my hat! We're off the pace because we're coughing up far too much possession. Dropped ball and penalties are what's killing us. Sort that out, have our share of the ball and I'm pretty sure our form will turn. As for leadership I wouldn't want any other captain to lead our team. To be specific, we lose intensity when Lockers goes off. Find a way to plug that gap and we'll be fine. I'm not sure how we can fill that gap though?
Last edited by Bigredwarrior on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Patience lost

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 pm
Brick with eyes User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 165
Location: Swinton
Levrier wrote:
I am even worried about Wells who has got progressively slower the more bulk he has put on. He was dominated in every collision and did not look able to make anyone's shoulder to receive the ball.


Jack Wells is 19 years of age , he's been playing in a team in the middle of an injury crisis . Do you expect him to play like a 30 year old Kevin Ward. He shouldn't even be playing first team yet

Do not worry about the lad , he is going to be one hell of a player

Re: Patience lost

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 pm
hengirl Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 am
Posts: 155
I cant help but feel young Wells has a big future ahead of him.

Re: Patience lost

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:08 pm
Levrier Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 462
Brick with eyes wrote:
Jack Wells is 19 years of age , he's been playing in a team in the middle of an injury crisis . Do you expect him to play like a 30 year old Kevin Ward. He shouldn't even be playing first team yet

Do not worry about the lad , he is going to be one hell of a player

You are missing my point. I do not expect him to play like a thirty year old and I do not expect him to be as big as he will be then either. Jack Wells is a 19 year old who has been bulked up to the point that he cannot play his natural game. I agree that he would not normally be playing so many First Team games at this point in his career, but he would be better served by speed, not bulk at this time. His first try for the First Team was a ball back inside supporting a break. He would be unlikely to do that now. I cannot help thinking that Callum Field would be more suited to the style of play being forced upon young Jack.

Re: Patience lost

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:16 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 21084
Location: WIGAN
Levrier wrote:
You are missing my point. I do not expect him to play like a thirty year old and I do not expect him to be as big as he will be then either. Jack Wells is a 19 year old who has been bulked up to the point that he cannot play his natural game. I agree that he would not normally be playing so many First Team games at this point in his career, but he would be better served by speed, not bulk at this time. His first try for the First Team was a ball back inside supporting a break. He would be unlikely to do that now. I cannot help thinking that Callum Field would be more suited to the style of play being forced upon young Jack.


How do you know it's being forced on him? I'm presuming you think the coaching staff have asked him to get as big as he is? That would surprise me to be honest because we seem a club intent on having smaller, more mobile forwards. The coaching staff have been hammered by our fans at times for not having big enough forwards but then on the other hand they get questioned because Wells has got too big.

It just doesn't add up for me. He just looks like a naturally big lad who's had a growth spurt. It may take another pre season for them to get him a bit fitter and more used to carrying the weight or they may get him to slim down. It's very early days for him but he's clearly got a lot about him.

Re: Patience lost

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:44 pm
Levrier Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 462
NickyKiss wrote:
How do you know it's being forced on him? I'm presuming you think the coaching staff have asked him to get as big as he is? That would surprise me to be honest because we seem a club intent on having smaller, more mobile forwards. The coaching staff have been hammered by our fans at times for not having big enough forwards but then on the other hand they get questioned because Wells has got too big.

It just doesn't add up for me. He just looks like a naturally big lad who's had a growth spurt. It may take another pre season for them to get him a bit fitter and more used to carrying the weight or they may get him to slim down. It's very early days for him but he's clearly got a lot about him.

Possibly, but I am more familiar with the growth spurt being upwards rather than outwards. Given that professional players generally have their diet specially produced for them, and that a player not sticking to their diet would suffer the wrath of the coaching staff, it would seem more likely that this is part of the plan. My worry is that he is being set up to fail by being brought up to size too quickly.
You are right that we tend to go with smaller forwards but as a whole players are getting more massive. This is partly because South Sea Islanders are seen as perfect body types for the game, unfortunately Wigan is not far enough South and we produce a lot of short stocky forwards. This is possibly Darwinian as those too tall were unable to work down the mine and therefore were too weak to breed. This could explain why the Northern Union decided to get rid of line outs.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Edinburgh Warrior, Hessle Roader, leg_end, RJ, SecondRowSaint, Singing Warrior, tank123, tugglesf78 and 196 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk



POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD (DATE)YOUR TEAM
4,608,7131,88976,1274,491 (28-03-2016)SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
 FT 
Thu : 10:50
NRL
PENRITH
16
- 8CANTERBURY
  
  Fri : 09:00
NRL
NZ WARRIORS
v
CRONULLA  
  Fri : 10:50
NRL
PARRAMATTA
v
BRISBANE  
  Sat : 06:00
NRL
NEWCASTLE
v
ST GEORGE  
  Sat : 08:30
NRL
SOUTHS
v
CANBERRA  
  Sat : 10:30
NRL
SYDNEY
v
NQL COWBOYS  
  Sat : 14:30
CC2017
HULL FC
v
LEEDS  
  Sat : 15:00
CH1
SOUTH WALES
v
GLOUC  
  Sun : 05:00
NRL
MELBOURNE
v
MANLY  
  Sun : 07:00
NRL
GOLD COAST
v
WESTS  
  Sun : 14:00
CH1
HEMEL
v
OXFORD  
  Sun : 14:30
CC2017
WIGAN
v
SALFORD  
  Sun : 14:30
CH1
CELTIC
v
LONDON  
  Sun : 15:00
CH1
DONCASTER
v
KEIGHLEY  
  Sun : 15:00
CH1
NEWCASTLE
v
WORKINGTON  
  Sun : 15:00
CH1
YORK
v
TORONTO  
  Sun : 15:00
CH1
HUNSLET
v
COVENTY  
  Sun : 15:00
CH1
WHITEHAVEN
v
BARROW  
  Thu : 10:50
NRL
CANTERBURY
v
PARRAMATTA  
  Thu : 20:00
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
ST. HELENS  
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM