WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory

Re: The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory
Post Sun May 07, 2017 6:00 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Posts: 2568
Aboveusonlypie wrote:
Wane and his staff have carried out a comprehensive review of all the injuries and concluded that there isn't anything they could change to improve things. Most of the injuries are picked up in games and they cover a wide range of injuries too. From TLs jaw to Batemans shoulder Sutton's eye to Gildart's back to MMc ankle to Flower's Achilles and so on. If there was a pattern it could be addressed. Unfortunately it is just down to bad luck

As the old blues song goes "If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"



Loads of people have recorded it, but I always think of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYYEcolfSI

:)
Re: The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory
Post Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:27 pm
Posts: 3491
Aboveusonlypie wrote:
Wane and his staff have carried out a comprehensive review of all the injuries and concluded that there isn't anything they could change to improve things. Most of the injuries are picked up in games and they cover a wide range of injuries too. From TLs jaw to Batemans shoulder Sutton's eye to Gildart's back to MMc ankle to Flower's Achilles and so on. If there was a pattern it could be addressed. Unfortunately it is just down to bad luck

As the old blues song goes "If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"

Selected cases chosen to back up your opinion, and there's nothing wrong in that. But there are other injuries too, especially one or two where players have been injured in contact whilst training, calf strain here, thigh strain there, injured in the warm up, etc. Add these to the "bad luck" injuries and here we are. No conspiracy but a puzzlingly high total number over a long period.
Re: The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory
Post Mon May 08, 2017 9:19 am
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 1919
jinkin jimmy wrote:
Selected cases chosen to back up your opinion, and there's nothing wrong in that. But there are other injuries too, especially one or two where players have been injured in contact whilst training, calf strain here, thigh strain there, injured in the warm up, etc. Add these to the "bad luck" injuries and here we are. No conspiracy but a puzzlingly high total number over a long period.

That's fine JJ, but apart from saying ' a puzzlingly high' number of players injured in training, have you any actual evidence that it is higher than other clubs. I'm sure the coaching staff won't have missed anything, but maybe you are right. However, I don't see how it is in their interests to pursue methods that cause injury to our own players.

We are all frustrated that the injury situation is killing our hopes this season, and I for one, don't like having to endure trips to Castleford when we get slaughtered, being on a hiding to nothing, with half our salary cap sat in the stands. But surely you have to conclude that our coaching and medical staff know their jobs? And that it is just the rub of the green?
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Re: The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory
Post Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 am
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 1919
moto748 wrote:
Loads of people have recorded it, but I always think of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYYEcolfSI

:)

Great stuff. I'm sure that's how Waney feels right now!! :SHOOT:
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Re: The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory
Post Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:27 pm
Posts: 3491
Aboveusonlypie wrote:
That's fine JJ, but apart from saying ' a puzzlingly high' number of players injured in training, have you any actual evidence that it is higher than other clubs. I'm sure the coaching staff won't have missed anything, but maybe you are right. However, I don't see how it is in their interests to pursue methods that cause injury to our own players.

We are all frustrated that the injury situation is killing our hopes this season, and I for one, don't like having to endure trips to Castleford when we get slaughtered, being on a hiding to nothing, with half our salary cap sat in the stands. But surely you have to conclude that our coaching and medical staff know their jobs? And that it is just the rub of the green?

Ok I'll give you the rub of the green but if it happens next year I'll be back. :wink:
I'll also admit that myself and probably others are posting in frustration. I still can't help wondering if our boys are being pushed closer to the limits in training compared to other clubs. Of course, when the majority return, we scrape the top four then prevail in the GF all will be well!
Re: The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory
Post Mon May 08, 2017 1:49 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 12548
moto748 wrote:
I'll know not to bother in future. :(

Seemed to me a perfectly reasonable topic; I was interested to hear if the kind of talk I'd heard was widespread in the town. Instead, just a load of 'shoot the messenger'.

I remember someone authoritatively informing me that Wigan deliberately lost the 2002 final eliminator because Dave Whelan had said he wouldn't pay out win-bonuses. He knew this for certain because his mate knew someone who worked in the ticket office. You do get the odd idiot unfortunately.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Re: The Great Wigan Injury Conspiracy Theory
Post Mon May 08, 2017 3:39 pm
100% Warrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 4393
Last seasons injuries should of been a one off. I can accept that in some seasons we're going to be in the wars but for it to happen again the following season and arguably worse? It's iffy to me.

Genuinely I think the style of our play and training is a major contributory factor. For me it's started to catch up on us, we want to be a team of big hitters, aggressive tacklers and runners which is all well and good - let's be honest everyone loves to see it sometimes, but I think that SW demand of it being constant has took its toll on players who's bodies are appearing to fall apart.

I may be wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that SW's style must change.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Akinwale Arobieke, Angelus, apollosghost, Bondo, ChrisA, Darwen Warrior, Finfin, goobervision, Jimmy Hornbys Tash, jonh, kirtonLindseyWolf, ksm1701, Leyther_Matt, MollySylphrena, Norman Stanley Fletcher, sergeant pepper, The Whiffy Kipper, TonyM19, Wiganosopher, Wigg'n and 294 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,650,8772,28876,2964,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 27th Oct : 10:00
World Cup: Group A
  
AUSTRALIA
v
ENGLAND
Sat 28th Oct : 06:00
World Cup: Group C
  
PNG
v
WALES
Sat 28th Oct : 08:10
World Cup: Group B
  
NEW ZEALAND
v
SAMOA
Sat 28th Oct : 10:40
World Cup: Group D
  
FIJI
v
USA
Sun 29th Oct : 03:30
World Cup: Group B
  
IRELAND
v
ITALY
Sun 29th Oct : 05:00
World Cup: Group A
  
FRANCE
v
LEBANON
Sun 29th Oct : 06:15
World Cup: Group C/D
  
SCOTLAND
v
TONGA
Fri 3rd Nov : 09:00
World Cup: Group A
  
AUSTRALIA
v
FRANCE
Sat 4th Nov : 04:00
World Cup: Group B
  
NEW ZEALAND
v
SCOTLAND
Sat 4th Nov : 06:30
World Cup: Group B
  
SAMOA
v
TONGA
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM