WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Davies and Marshall
Re: Davies and Marshall
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am
Posted by Aboveusonlypie on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

By the way - on Escare. What a coaching job Waney and co have done on him!

Absolutely safe under the high ball and hasn't, to my eyes, missed a tackle yet. All this from a guy who was a defensive liability at Catalans.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 am
Posted by Trainman on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 am
Trainman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I'm very pleasantly surprised at how well Marshall and Davies have done. It's common for kids to look good in their first couple of games and then fade a bit. These two seem to have a bit of staying power. They both look very good all round players and both imo have overtaken Tierney who, despite his best efforts will never be better than solid. Budgie is in for quite a long run at centre and Wane has a selection headache should Gildart and Manfredi return later in the season.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 am
Posted by Geoff on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 am
Geoff User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Trainman wrote:
I'm very pleasantly surprised at how well Marshall and Davies have done. It's common for kids to look good in their first couple of games and then fade a bit. These two seem to have a bit of staying power. They both look very good all round players and both imo have overtaken Tierney who, despite his best efforts will never be better than solid. Budgie is in for quite a long run at centre and Wane has a selection headache should Gildart and Manfredi return later in the season.

Yep. Wane confirms that he plans to keep Burgess at centre until Gilfdart is back, hopefully in June.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8500642

It will be a nice problem to have when Gildart & Gelling are both fit.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 am
Posted by hatty on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 am
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Aboveusonlypie wrote:
By the way - on Escare. What a coaching job Waney and co have done on him!

Absolutely safe under the high ball and hasn't, to my eyes, missed a tackle yet. All this from a guy who was a defensive liability at Catalans.

He has missed a couple, notably against hull & Castleford. I'm with you though he has come on leaps and bounds and is getting better with every game he plays, Sam will struggle to oust him from the fullback role on current form.
1998,2010,2013 & 2016.....I was there
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm
Posted by JWarriors on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

hatty wrote:
He has missed a couple, notably against hull & Castleford. I'm with you though he has come on leaps and bounds and is getting better with every game he plays, Sam will struggle to oust him from the fullback role on current form.

Im going to post the following just to play devil's advocate because for what it's worth I absolutely love watching Escaré play for us.

Sam Tomkins 2016 : Apps 16, Tries 6, Assists 10, Tackles 109, Missed Tackles 9, Tackle Busts 36, Average Gain 5.33, Errors 10.
Morgan Escaré 2017: Apps 10, Tries 4, Assists 2, Tackles 62, Missed Tackles 7, Tackle Busts 40, Average Gain, 7.79, Errors 8.

I found it interesting reading considering the contrasting opinions people have of how these two players performed for us.

Tomkins per game had: more assists, less missed tackles, and less errors.
Escaré per game had: better average gain and more tackle busts.
Per game they were very similar in: tries and tackles.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 pm
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 pm
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

hatty wrote:
Sam will struggle to oust him from the fullback role on current form.

:lol: we'll see.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

JWarriors wrote:
Im going to post the following just to play devil's advocate because for what it's worth I absolutely love watching Escaré play for us.

Sam Tomkins 2016 : Apps 16, Tries 6, Assists 10, Tackles 109, Missed Tackles 9, Tackle Busts 36, Average Gain 5.33, Errors 10.
Morgan Escaré 2017: Apps 10, Tries 4, Assists 2, Tackles 62, Missed Tackles 7, Tackle Busts 40, Average Gain, 7.79, Errors 8.

I found it interesting reading considering the contrasting opinions people have of how these two players performed for us.

It's all about expectations I suppose as well as value for money. There is huge expectation on Tomkins due to his reputation, past achievements for Wigan and because of the salary he's paid whereas there was little expectation on Escare as he'd fell out of favour at Catalans and I presume is (or was) on a low wage here.

In plain black and white it looks like they're bringing about the same to the side for vastly differing sums of money but I think we were probably seeing Tomkins at his worst against Escare possibly somewhere near his best.

Long term I think there's room for both and the side will be in good shape with them both in it.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm
Posted by hatty on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

jinkin jimmy wrote:
:lol: we'll see.

Yep we definitely will :)
1998,2010,2013 & 2016.....I was there
Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm
Posted by Aboveusonlypie on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm
Aboveusonlypie User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

JWarriors wrote:

Good post. I've always loved Sam. But I think his future is in the halves as he no longer has the pace of his youth. He is the best passer of the ball in the club including Lockers and he kicks better than both George and Tommy. Just a question mark over his defence I suppose. Though I think he will be fine.
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)
Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Aboveusonlypie wrote:
Good post. I've always loved Sam. But I think his future is in the halves as he no longer has the pace of his youth. He is the best passer of the ball in the club including Lockers and he kicks better than both George and Tommy. Just a question mark over his defence I suppose. Though I think he will be fine.

In the line his defence is fine (or it was when he last played as a halfback). Like most fullbacks he gets caught out defensively as the last line but he's up to the task of dealing with the increased workload if he is to go back to stand off/scrum half IMO.
PreviousNext