WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Toronto Wolfpack defies logic

Board index Super League Huddersfield Giants - claretandgold.co.uk Toronto Wolfpack defies logic

Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 pm
Posted by Durham Giant on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 pm
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:25 pm
Posts: 11437
Location: Durham
fartown since 1961 wrote:
A boost with another team where the space behind the goals is empty ??

Where everyone says Huddersfield only got 4,500 on a Thursday night ??

as every penny that goes to Canada is lost to our game over here.

I have loved rugby league because of the cameraderie the ability to travel around and watch my team the game isn’t big enough to go abroad and cetainly can’t afford it sorry Durham but if you agree with this master plan you are ‘bloody thick’



If relying on Away fans to pay the costs of a club you are deluded. If you are relying on that to build the game if RL you are deluded.

TV sponsorship and advertising makes professional sports clubs successfully.

Ronaldo will be paid £73,000 per day to play Juventus. Is that paid for by getting £1million pounds fortnight from supporters . no it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does RU get it,s £6m salary cap from fans through the turnstiles. No it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does Cricket get its money from paying supporters no it It is TV paying for 20/20 matches.

Rl needs exposure to get advertising and sponsorship. N. America is loaded with money RL needs some of that.

Without bringing more money into the game RL will shrivel and die.

If you don’t buy into the idea that the games needs to develop and expand to survive you must be bloody thick.
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Posted by Jo Jumbuck on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Jo Jumbuck Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:48 pm
Posts: 1375
Durham Giant wrote:
If relying on Away fans to pay the costs of a club you are deluded. If you are relying on that to build the game if RL you are deluded.

TV sponsorship and advertising makes professional sports clubs successfully.

Ronaldo will be paid £73,000 per day to play Juventus. Is that paid for by getting £1million pounds fortnight from supporters . no it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does RU get it,s £6m salary cap from fans through the turnstiles. No it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does Cricket get its money from paying supporters no it It is TV paying for 20/20 matches.

Rl needs exposure to get advertising and sponsorship. N. America is loaded with money RL needs some of that.

Without bringing more money into the game RL will shrivel and die.

If you don’t buy into the idea that the games needs to develop and expand to survive you must be bloody thick.




I agree with you about the funding of the game, Paying fans are just a nice extra, Without any doubt whatsoever if sky had not come in when it did League would have gone down the pan as regards a pro sport.
The Giants are a good example of how it works, If they relied on crowds they would be nowhere, same applies to League in general.

Personally i would love to see the game played in a meaningful way across the Atlantic as i would in Europe, It's proving to be a slow painful progression in France and having just one club over there has worked because it's a short journey and there is history of the game over there.

I think it will be a bit more difficult in America, and as i have said IMO one team is a bit of a nonsense economically, That said if you could get a few teams going and a bit of a league it could take off big style and maybe bring in a TV contract. I just don't see S League entertaining anything that will cost them money , They have cited the lack of it as the reason they are taking over from The RFL regards their earnings from SKY.

Does anyone know the formula for the fixtures in the middle 8 playoffs, we might not even play them away might we.
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 pm
Posted by fartown since 1961 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 pm
fartown since 1961 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm
Posts: 1115
Jo Jumbuck wrote:
I agree with you about the funding of the game, Paying fans are just a nice extra, Without any doubt whatsoever if sky had not come in when it did League would have gone down the pan as regards a pro sport.
The Giants are a good example of how it works, If they relied on crowds they would be nowhere, same applies to League in general.

Personally i would love to see the game played in a meaningful way across the Atlantic as i would in Europe, It's proving to be a slow painful progression in France and having just one club over there has worked because it's a short journey and there is history of the game over there.

I think it will be a bit more difficult in America, and as i have said IMO one team is a bit of a nonsense economically, That said if you could get a few teams going and a bit of a league it could take off big style and maybe bring in a TV contract. I just don't see S League entertaining anything that will cost them money , They have cited the lack of it as the reason they are taking over from The RFL regards their earnings from SKY.

Does anyone know the formula for the fixtures in the middle 8 playoffs, we might not even play them away might we.


We would play them at home if we finish 9th, my point as was made earlier if they had some Canadians not all UK and NRL players fair enough I could see some point but we would be a prime target to be replaced with our low crowds and poor team.

Anyone who wants TWP to succeed is barmy it’s a short term thing as with most expansion teams but which traditional teams have to die to facilitate it.
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm
Posted by jools on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm
jools User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm
Posts: 8443
Durham Giant wrote:
If relying on Away fans to pay the costs of a club you are deluded. If you are relying on that to build the game if RL you are deluded.

TV sponsorship and advertising makes professional sports clubs successfully.

Ronaldo will be paid £73,000 per day to play Juventus. Is that paid for by getting £1million pounds fortnight from supporters . no it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does RU get it,s £6m salary cap from fans through the turnstiles. No it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does Cricket get its money from paying supporters no it It is TV paying for 20/20 matches.

Rl needs exposure to get advertising and sponsorship. N. America is loaded with money RL needs some of that.

Without bringing more money into the game RL will shrivel and die.

If you don’t buy into the idea that the games needs to develop and expand to survive you must be bloody thick.


This Canadian money that you talk about- where will it go? Not to the game in this country. There will be nothing invested in this country at grassroots level from Canada- no growing of the game over here at all- where does that leave things long term do you think?
Expanding and growing the game in Canada is of no help to the game here.
I hope it takes off- then they can start their own Canadian league and that improves the international game- but that’s no good if it’s at our expense.
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Posted by Jo Jumbuck on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Jo Jumbuck Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:48 pm
Posts: 1375
I know what you are saying and why you are saying it, But to be fair where are you going to get even half a team of league players in Canada, the game has never been player there. We have been playing the game for 150 years and our teams are riddled with foreign players.

I'm not convinced they will be accepted long term myself but we'll have to see, If they are it will be a poor effort to blame them for the failure of local sides, they have been failing on and off for decades, long before Toronto were thought of , Who do Fartown blame for the number of times they were on the brink, and certainly Sheffield were sacrificed for us .

If we get replaced in S league it won't be the fault of Toronto or anyone else except Fartown, The club has been run in the most unprofessional way imaginable and sooner or later you get found out.

We all hope we don't go out but should we finish in the middle 8 if we don't win enough games then we deserve to go down, it will be no ones fault but ours. Regarding all these Traditional club you speak of , they are nearly all on the verge of collapse and will more than likely do so when ESL withdraws it's funding.

What are your thoughts on that, should the Giants and the other SL clubs cough up some of their money to keep them afloat, ( as they do now ) knowing they can never again amount to much in the grand scheme of things. Many people believe that Catalan, Toulouse and Toronto and expansion teams are the only chance league has to survive. Then again most league fans don't care about any of it as long as they can nip over to Wakey or wherever to support there own team, It's the nature of the Rugby league fan ( in general ) .
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm
Posted by Jo Jumbuck on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm
Jo Jumbuck Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:48 pm
Posts: 1375
jools wrote:
This Canadian money that you talk about- where will it go? Not to the game in this country. There will be nothing invested in this country at grassroots level from Canada- no growing of the game over here at all- where does that leave things long term do you think?
Expanding and growing the game in Canada is of no help to the game here.
I hope it takes off- then they can start their own Canadian league and that improves the international game- but that’s no good if it’s at our expense.


I think the idea is to get the game going over there jools not prop up a load of failing clubs along the m62. We have had 150 years to grow the game , and failed miserably, after all those years only half a dozen clubs are anything like secure, and all have very wealthy owners.

Where it leaves us long term is exactly where we have put ourselves, Toronto makes no difference to that either way , but i agree with you that one club in Canada is of little use to us, they need a league but that takes time, why you think that would somehow be at our expense i don't know.
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm
Posted by Hudd-Shay on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm
Hudd-Shay User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:33 am
Posts: 2773
Location: Shuddersfield
Durham Giant wrote:
What a whiny pathetic thread.

If we are good enough we stay up as we are in a competition with 8 other teams 4 of whom will definitely stay in SL.

Issues to do with the weather the fixtures visas etc is rubbish.

I would love Toronto to come up and one of the consistently failing SL heartland teams to go down.

The game needs a boost and expansion to N America is as good a way as getting it as possible

Utter tripe. They bring absolutely nothing to the game and are playing to different rules to the rest of us. Shame on the RFL.
Hear All, See All, Say Nowt.
Eat All, Sup All, Pay Nowt.
And if Tha ever does Owt for Nowt,
Allus do it for Thissen.
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Posted by jools on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm
jools User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm
Posts: 8443
Jo Jumbuck wrote:
I think the idea is to get the game going over there jools not prop up a load of failing clubs along the m62. We have had 150 years to grow the game , and failed miserably, after all those years only half a dozen clubs are anything like secure, and all have very wealthy owners.

Where it leaves us long term is exactly where we have put ourselves, Toronto makes no difference to that either way , but i agree with you that one club in Canada is of little use to us, they need a league but that takes time, why you think that would somehow be at our expense i don't know.
f

It’s failjng miserably because the RFL does sweet FA to support the game at grassroots level- without young people playing and watching the game it fails.
Case in point- in order to run a junior team coaches have to have a minimum amount of training-in safeguarding and also coaching.
Currently the one and only single training course the RFL has made available for level 2 coaching is full- and there are no safeguarding courses available-which is a minimum requirement! Bearing in mind all junior coaches are VOLUNTEERS. so any junior clubs wanting to start a team cannot. But the RFL have the money to jet off to Canada.....
Last edited by jools on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm
Posted by snowie on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,956

Quiz Score: 232

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 18152
Durham Giant wrote:
If relying on Away fans to pay the costs of a club you are deluded. If you are relying on that to build the game if RL you are deluded.

TV sponsorship and advertising makes professional sports clubs successfully.

Ronaldo will be paid £73,000 per day to play Juventus. Is that paid for by getting £1million pounds fortnight from supporters . no it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does RU get it,s £6m salary cap from fans through the turnstiles. No it is advertising and sponsorship.

Does Cricket get its money from paying supporters no it It is TV paying for 20/20 matches.

Rl needs exposure to get advertising and sponsorship. N. America is loaded with money RL needs some of that.

Without bringing more money into the game RL will shrivel and die.

If you don’t buy into the idea that the games needs to develop and expand to survive you must be bloody thick.
your correct on this as for a Canadian team it simply will cost too much for the smaller clubs to fund, I don't want to be right as it will be the end of the game as we know it
Re: Toronto Wolfpack defies logic
Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:45 pm
Posted by Jo Jumbuck on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:45 pm
Jo Jumbuck Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 12:48 pm
Posts: 1375
jools wrote:
f

It’s failjng miserably because the RFL does sweet FA to support the game at grassroots level- without young people playing and watching the game it fails.
Case in point- in order to run a junior team coaches have to have a minimum amount of training-in safeguarding and also coaching.
Currently the one and only single training course the RFL has made available for level 2 coaching is full- and there are no safeguarding courses available-which is a minimum requirement! Bearing in mind all junior coaches are VOLUNTEERS. so any junior clubs wanting to start a team cannot. But the RFL have the money to jet off to Canada.....


Again i understand your point and agree with what you say about the RFL, i just don't see how it is the fault of Toronto, As far as i know they stand the cost of every game they play at home for both teams.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bilko1941, Chetnik, Dobson_C&G, Jo Jumbuck, sarge1, the stella kid, Wilde 3 and 95 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Huddersfield Giants - claretandgold.co.uk


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,760,9161,73676,9564,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 20th Jul 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
CASTLEFORD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 27th Jul 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WAKEFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






26