OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 09:563rd Apr 24 17:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Season review : Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:25 pm  
GIANT DAZ wrote:
* Rapira !!!!!

I agree with a lot of what's been said, especially the 'spine' of the team and the forwards.

Grix, as ok as he is for us he wouldn't get a look in at any other of the top 8 teams, in my opinion, look at Bowen last night how he seemed to be involved in every attack and caused us problems all night, i've been a fan of Scott in the past, i've also been critical too but we need to be looking to replace him now, or at least keep him as a squad player. As a top 3 team. which we have been now for the last 3 years, we need better.

Ellis, has proved me wrong as the season has gone on and he has actually been a decent signing for us but again, would he get in the side of any other of the top teams ? probably no and while he has took some of the pressure off Brough and indeed done some good things himself , i personally don't think he is likely to improve, If we are to move forward we need to improve in all areas.

Robbo - Bloody love this little fella to bits and if the other 16 players every week showed as much heart and enthusiasm as he does we would be cruising - unfortunately he's past his peak and although his scoots occasionally get us going his passing is woeful at times and often causes us to lose possession, his tackling technique seems to see him getting knocked out every week these days and if i'm being honest i can only see him getting worse as the weeks go by, i would love him to stay on at this club, he's a smashing bloke but not SL quality anymore :(

Wood - Looked decent before he got injured but like Ellis, highly unlikely he's going to suddenly turn in to a world class player, he's good backup but easily replaceable, with who i dont know !.

The Forwards - time and time again i sit/stand at games and watch opposition props slam into our guys at speed, knocking them over, barging through, getting a quick play the ball - doing what forwards should do, then i watch ours - hop, skip and jump into a tackle from 5 yards away and 2 mph...i cannot remember the last time i saw Eorl, Koppy, Huby, etc hit a ball at speed and cause damage, they almost walk up to the line then sit down...whether this is coaching or player choice i don't know but EVERY other set of forwards do this against us and it's so frustrating cos we're never gonna get ruck speed for our backs to work with, they are so inneffective at times we may as well play centres and wingers there - actually we probably do most of the time as they do more than the forwards...we desperately need some mongrel in our team, our forwards play like fairies at times, sorry if that sounds harsh but it frustrates me no end, there was a time we had a feared pack with the likes of O'Donnell, Mason, Griffin etc..they weren't the best players we've ever had but boy they made the opposition take note unlike the ones we have now !! hopefully Rapira can add some steel but i'd still want more either from the ones we do have or in any better replacements should they be available.
To be fair to Ukuma he does actually make an effort now and again !

Positives - Well we finished in the top 3 for the 3rd year running, how many other teams would love to be able to say that ? yes i know to some people it's still not good enough, me - i'm very happy with that it proves we are a consistently good team, unfortunately that counts for nothing on nights like last night though.

We are finally seeing more quality homegrown players breaking through, Leeming, Connor, Simpson, Johnson, Mason can all become regulars and important players in the future for us, we need to be patient though and not try and rush them and let them develop naturally.
I cannot wait to see Kruise Leeming next year after learning from Ryan Hinchliffe, a year older, more experienced, he will be a class act !.

The fact that as a fanbase we are now hugely disappointed in what would have been seen as success 5/6 years ago shows we are moving in the right direction.
We have a chairman who loves our club and continues to support it so we can all moan about it, and i'm pretty certain he will never put our club through the crap that other clubs go through, in that sense we are very lucky.

Let's not forget each fan has different opinions, objectives, hopes etc, me personally i see the rugby as a social thing, i go with my mates to have a laugh, a few drinks, a chat to other fans, a sing and dance if the occasion takes me - i love my rugby days and couldn't ever be without them, i'm not just there to see us win trophies, but my god i would love that to happen, to see Claret & Gold ribbons on the Challenge cup would be a dream come true for me but it isn't the be all and end all of being a Fartowner, i've watched for 27 years without a major trophy and will happily watch for another 27 without one as long as i 'enjoy the rugby'. Some fans are different they crave it, they insist upon it and they get cross/angry/mad every year when it doesn't come and i'll tell you what - when it does come, and it will !!!!! we will all celebrate it the same and be bloody glad our patience stood up !!.

Sorry Daz I meant Rapira, Can't argue with any of your post by the way.
RankPostsTeam
International Star518
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 06 201212 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 17:597th Aug 23 19:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Season review : Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:19 pm  
GIANT DAZ wrote:
* Rapira !!!!!

I agree with a lot of what's been said, especially the 'spine' of the team and the forwards.

Grix, as ok as he is for us he wouldn't get a look in at any other of the top 8 teams, in my opinion, look at Bowen last night how he seemed to be involved in every attack and caused us problems all night, i've been a fan of Scott in the past, i've also been critical too but we need to be looking to replace him now, or at least keep him as a squad player. As a top 3 team. which we have been now for the last 3 years, we need better.

Ellis, has proved me wrong as the season has gone on and he has actually been a decent signing for us but again, would he get in the side of any other of the top teams ? probably no and while he has took some of the pressure off Brough and indeed done some good things himself , i personally don't think he is likely to improve, If we are to move forward we need to improve in all areas.

Robbo - Bloody love this little fella to bits and if the other 16 players every week showed as much heart and enthusiasm as he does we would be cruising - unfortunately he's past his peak and although his scoots occasionally get us going his passing is woeful at times and often causes us to lose possession, his tackling technique seems to see him getting knocked out every week these days and if i'm being honest i can only see him getting worse as the weeks go by, i would love him to stay on at this club, he's a smashing bloke but not SL quality anymore :(

Wood - Looked decent before he got injured but like Ellis, highly unlikely he's going to suddenly turn in to a world class player, he's good backup but easily replaceable, with who i dont know !.

The Forwards - time and time again i sit/stand at games and watch opposition props slam into our guys at speed, knocking them over, barging through, getting a quick play the ball - doing what forwards should do, then i watch ours - hop, skip and jump into a tackle from 5 yards away and 2 mph...i cannot remember the last time i saw Eorl, Koppy, Huby, etc hit a ball at speed and cause damage, they almost walk up to the line then sit down...whether this is coaching or player choice i don't know but EVERY other set of forwards do this against us and it's so frustrating cos we're never gonna get ruck speed for our backs to work with, they are so inneffective at times we may as well play centres and wingers there - actually we probably do most of the time as they do more than the forwards...we desperately need some mongrel in our team, our forwards play like fairies at times, sorry if that sounds harsh but it frustrates me no end, there was a time we had a feared pack with the likes of O'Donnell, Mason, Griffin etc..they weren't the best players we've ever had but boy they made the opposition take note unlike the ones we have now !! hopefully Rapira can add some steel but i'd still want more either from the ones we do have or in any better replacements should they be available.
To be fair to Ukuma he does actually make an effort now and again !

Positives - Well we finished in the top 3 for the 3rd year running, how many other teams would love to be able to say that ? yes i know to some people it's still not good enough, me - i'm very happy with that it proves we are a consistently good team, unfortunately that counts for nothing on nights like last night though.

We are finally seeing more quality homegrown players breaking through, Leeming, Connor, Simpson, Johnson, Mason can all become regulars and important players in the future for us, we need to be patient though and not try and rush them and let them develop naturally.
I cannot wait to see Kruise Leeming next year after learning from Ryan Hinchliffe, a year older, more experienced, he will be a class act !.

The fact that as a fanbase we are now hugely disappointed in what would have been seen as success 5/6 years ago shows we are moving in the right direction.
We have a chairman who loves our club and continues to support it so we can all moan about it, and i'm pretty certain he will never put our club through the crap that other clubs go through, in that sense we are very lucky.

Let's not forget each fan has different opinions, objectives, hopes etc, me personally i see the rugby as a social thing, i go with my mates to have a laugh, a few drinks, a chat to other fans, a sing and dance if the occasion takes me - i love my rugby days and couldn't ever be without them, i'm not just there to see us win trophies, but my god i would love that to happen, to see Claret & Gold ribbons on the Challenge cup would be a dream come true for me but it isn't the be all and end all of being a Fartowner, i've watched for 27 years without a major trophy and will happily watch for another 27 without one as long as i 'enjoy the rugby'. Some fans are different they crave it, they insist upon it and they get cross/angry/mad every year when it doesn't come and i'll tell you what - when it does come, and it will !!!!! we will all celebrate it the same and be bloody glad our patience stood up !!.

:CLAP: I was avoiding the forum today to let some of the initial emotions subside before posting. And there was no need as this pretty much sums up everything for me.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain602
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 18 16:221st May 18 16:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Season review : Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:24 pm  
Thought we had a cracking season.

Things I could change!

1. Having friendlies
2. The ability to play in big games.

Really don't know what else we can do. Anderson has given the youth a good go. We got the best defence again. Made good signings for next season.
RankPostsTeam
International Star518
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 06 201212 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 17:597th Aug 23 19:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Season review : Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:37 pm  
AntonyGiant wrote:

Things I could change!

1. Having friendlies

Really don't know what else we can do. Anderson has given the youth a good go. We got the best defence again. Made good signings for next season.

I think Wigan pipped us for best defence in the end.
meast 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 04 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Sep 20 22:3519th Apr 17 16:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

the Claret And Gold Machine is ready to roll

sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!

Re: Season review : Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:04 pm  
plenty of positives, of course there is.

all in all it's been a good season again with the same old ending, the important thing now is that we find that way to go to the next level, although its not going to be easy!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain602
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 18 16:221st May 18 16:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Season review : Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:10 am  
Unbeliever wrote:
I think Wigan pipped us for best defence in the end.

Still can boast one of the best. Seems Wigan like taking things from us.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 07 200717 years216th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Oct 23 16:277th Mar 23 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????

Re: Season review : Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 am  
AntonyGiant wrote:

Things I could change!

1. Having friendlies

:shock: :shock: :shock:

As long as you are happy to settle for mediocrity that is fine.
RankPostsTeam
International Star478
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 19 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 20 13:2419th Sep 19 12:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Season review : Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:30 am  
Certainly wouldn't put us down as having a cracking season, consistent yes. Top four again and out with a whimper at the business end. If you look at the performances throughout the season they've shown nothing to say we could win anything, certainly not attack wise, on the whole defence has been as good as I've seen it. The last 3-4 8s games attack wise performances, gave us optimism l think. I don't think it's a far away as some think, just a bit more nouce on the pitch (hinchcliffe) and bite up front ( hopefully Rapira) although another player or two wouldn't go amiss to dilute the big game defeatist attitude. I certainly think Anderson is still the right coach too and has probably learned a couple of valuable lessons this year. Still think the the cups the best chance though unless the new recruits make an impact on the squad as a whole.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach308No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 25 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Jun 22 12:5621st Sep 21 19:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Season review : Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:20 am  
not a fan of anderson the 2 props we had who could do damage on left before the season started the outer shipped out we also kicked out the only hooker we had .the only man with pace never used. grix robbo crabtree new contracts why all passed there sell by dates. smith looks no better than the young guns.ellis hit and miss our recruitment over the passed 3 years has been very poor .
meast 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 04 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Sep 20 22:3519th Apr 17 16:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

the Claret And Gold Machine is ready to roll

sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!

Re: Season review : Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:54 am  
don't agree with that
Lunt wanted out, he didn't want to play for us, he wasn't kicked out, and i don't care who they are, if they don't want to play for us then i don't want them at our club.
did you see the game at Hull? if you did then you would have seen how much we missed both robbo and Eorl in that game?
Ellis has been good IMO, not hit and miss.
which 2 props who could do damage left?

i respect your opinion but i don't agree :)
PreviousNext