Posted by GIANTSRL on Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm
GIANTSRL User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

seems these two are in for new deals

ferguson when fit...and thats not very often , is a good player and im happy aslong as hes can stay fit..would have him as mu first choice 2nd rower everytiime for his attacking, hard player to put down.

murphy,.. i thought he was going but seems to have been a change of heart, type of player you need in the situation we are in now... will put his body on the line for this club... does it signal that we are short of wing/centres though... mcintosh seems to have stopped improving and rumours wardle is going to cas for 2019....so maybe murphy the safe option for us
HUDDERSFIELD
-
THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE
Re: ferguson and murphy
Post Tue May 15, 2018 3:32 pm
Posted by Hangerman2 on Tue May 15, 2018 3:32 pm
Hangerman2 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 28

Murphy i can understand as he can cover a number of positions, as long as he is on a reduced contract and a short one. Ferguson i'd be happier getting rid of. We need another quality prop at least, if not two (and to get rid of Smith, Walne and Wakeman). Once that's done, we have Taii, Roberts, Mellor, Lawrence as second rows, and if we were to add another i would like it to be a player who can offload.
Post Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm
Posted by Jo Jumbuck on Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm
Jo Jumbuck Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,258

Hangerman2 wrote:
Murphy i can understand as he can cover a number of positions, as long as he is on a reduced contract and a short one. Ferguson i'd be happier getting rid of. We need another quality prop at least, if not two (and to get rid of Smith, Walne and Wakeman). Once that's done, we have Taii, Roberts, Mellor, Lawrence as second rows, and if we were to add another i would like it to be a player who can offload.

Offload is a swear word at the Giants :shock:
Post Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Posted by GIANTSRL on Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm
GIANTSRL User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

ha yeh dont see many offloads apart from ikahihfo.. but even then the players to receive it doesnt know what to do
HUDDERSFIELD
-
Post Tue May 15, 2018 6:56 pm
Posted by GiantJake1988 on Tue May 15, 2018 6:56 pm
GiantJake1988 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,258

Murphy should only be staying on a 1 year deal and a reduction in wages. I understand he has stood up earlier in the season but where do we fit him in now? hes no longer a winger as hes far too slow and isnt the best finisher and cant really win balls in the air. Hes better at centre but again doesnt make breaks and doesnt have great handling to put his wingers in. Going forward he should be nothing more than a squad player and should not be in our starting 17.

Knowing the Giants it will be "Murphy signs 3 year deal to see career out with the Giants" MD Dick Thewlis says"Were delighted Aaron has chose to stay with us and we can offer him the security to finish his career at the Giants, Aaron is a really popular member of the changing room"

I would have also got rid of Ferguson. Makes good yards but we need a 2nd rower who can pass a ball and make a couple of breaks.

How are we going to bring new signings in when we keep re signing the same players? shows a serious lack of ambition to me.

If we lose Wardle to Cas and hand Murphy 3 years it shows has badly run this club is.
Post Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 pm
Posted by jools on Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 pm
jools User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

GiantJake1988 wrote:
Murphy should only be staying on a 1 year deal and a reduction in wages. I understand he has stood up earlier in the season but where do we fit him in now? hes no longer a winger as hes far too slow and isnt the best finisher and cant really win balls in the air. Hes better at centre but again doesnt make breaks and doesnt have great handling to put his wingers in. Going forward he should be nothing more than a squad player and should not be in our starting 17.

Knowing the Giants it will be "Murphy signs 3 year deal to see career out with the Giants" MD Dick Thewlis says"Were delighted Aaron has chose to stay with us and we can offer him the security to finish his career at the Giants, Aaron is a really popular member of the changing room"

I would have also got rid of Ferguson. Makes good yards but we need a 2nd rower who can pass a ball and make a couple of breaks.

How are we going to bring new signings in when we keep re signing the same players? shows a serious lack of ambition to me.

If we lose Wardle to Cas and hand Murphy 3 years it shows has badly run this club is.

Does it really show how badly run it is- or does it show how little we have to offer?
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
Post Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 pm
Posted by Durham Giant on Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 pm
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,258

jools wrote:
Does it really show how badly run it is- or does it show how little we have to offer?

They are interlinked.

Because we are badly run we have little to offer

Signing Murphy and Ferguson up basically says we are not serious about being a top club which then sends the message to others we are just making up the numbers.

Show no ambition and you will achieve nothing.
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Post Tue May 15, 2018 11:31 pm
Posted by jools on Tue May 15, 2018 11:31 pm
jools User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Durham Giant wrote:
They are interlinked.

Because we are belt run we have little to offer

Signing Murphy and Ferguson up basically says we are not serious about being a top club which then sends the message to others we are just making up the numbers.

Show no ambition and you will achieve nothing.

Think you are right and it’s a bit of both. Think it’s possible to get the right mix of players who aren’t superstars and with the right coach get the best from them- NB with us, Powell at cas. But to be in the mix you have to have the best.

There are some that are nodding sagely and saying yes but ferguson has been one of our best players. But tbh there’s not been much competition, so sticking with one of the best of a bad bunch isn’t going to improve us. Don’t agree with keeping Murphy either- our kids should be our cover and if he’s first choice then again- “sigh”.
Mr dependable- well lovely- but why as a club do we feel the need to be loyal - when we don’t get the same by the likes of Connor and possibly, if rumours are true, young wardle. In fact you could argue we are owed more loyalty- We’ve invested time, effort, money, in those players then don’t reap the rewards. We don’t owe Murphy anything- we’ve paid him for a job, and if in a parallel universe Wigan came sniffing we’d just see the dust.
That might seem harsh- but the reality is being nice doesn’t pay.
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
Post Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 am
Posted by GiantMisterE on Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 am
GiantMisterE Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

jools wrote:
There are some that are nodding sagely and saying yes but ferguson has been one of our best players. But tbh there’s not been much competition, so sticking with one of the best of a bad bunch isn’t going to improve us.

Surely we have to keep the best of a bad bunch, otherwise we'll get worse?? You're implying that we have to get rid the full squad, which isn't going to happen.

Rather than get rid of the best players (of a bad bunch), you maybe need to start with getting rid of the worst - and recruit better.
Post Wed May 16, 2018 12:12 pm
Posted by GIANTSRL on Wed May 16, 2018 12:12 pm
GIANTSRL User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

true , right now ferguson and murphy are two of our better players... many below them that should not be getting a new deal.

as a club we arent attractive anymore. we were in 2013 and around that area as we were a top side and on tv regular with lots of exposure but now we are hardly on tv. things could be about to change though with a cup run and a challenge for top 8.

players with not much ambition and after a 5yr deal for a mortgage to start a family are the ones we seem to attract right now, always been very cushty at the giants, paid on time from mr davy no worries and not much pressure from fans to succeed.
HUDDERSFIELD
-