WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Your GIANTS prediction for 2018

Board index Super League Huddersfield Giants - claretandgold.co.uk Your GIANTS prediction for 2018

Your GIANTS prediction for 2018
Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 pm
Posted by brearley84 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 pm
brearley84 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 20th / 76,462

Quiz Score: 8

where do you think the giants will finish the regular season?

im going for 6th

had higher hopes than that but i can feel the injury curse again coming and cudjoe missing most the season is already a blow

we have a very difficult first 3 games too so may be chasing straight away!!

maybe im having a bad day and will change my mind later but i think top 8 first aim again and hopefully leaves us closer to the top 4 than last time with a realistic challenge of makin the finals which wasnt the case last season when we made the top 8

st helens to win it for me.
HUDDERSFIELD
-
THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE
Re: Your GIANTS prediction for 2018
Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm
Posted by GIANT DAZ on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm
GIANT DAZ User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 16th / 76,462

Quiz Score: 664

Without loads of injuries 4th or 5th, with disruption like the last 2 years - 7th or 8th.

We seem to have a settled spine of the team without injury, if Brough and Rankin are to be our halves, i like the look of Mamo, Brough, Rankin, Leeming and Hinchcliffe and if they can stay fit then every other position more or less fills itself.
"Time has no respect for man's vanity, We hold the keys, we are the caretakers of insanity"

//adf.ly/1gMQkx

Rick Stone's Claret Gold Army ....
Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:35 pm
Posted by brearley84 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:35 pm
brearley84 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

yeh another big season from hinchcliffe at loose forward would be great, to go with leeming and obrien working well at hooker again

certainly some positives

a new half back combination abut of a worry, dont always work! as recent as brough/brierley

need to get that pairing right , but they need to pack to help them too
HUDDERSFIELD
-
Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm
Posted by HuddsRL5 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm
HuddsRL5 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I think Hull and Saints look strong this year and will make up the top two, lots of question marks for me over the rest of the teams.

My predicted table is as follows:

Saints - a full preseason under Holbrook and an embarrassment of riches, think they are the team to beat
Hull - strike all over the field and another big year for Connor, in the centres most likely
Cas - lost hardaker and brought lots of average players, classic Powell, but he makes them play to his style. Loads of depth.
Leeds - Mcguire was huge for them last year, Myler for me won't lead them as he did. But they have winners all over the field and a really good impact from the bench
Wire - new coach, unproven, new half who I know nothing about, wire have a good young squad but not really a touch of class or brute force like a few years back.
Wakey - signed a couple of beasts, this year will prove the influence of Kear, I'm not convinced their halves have enough quality and the injury to Randell is huge
Giants - see below
Catalans - I think Macnamara will instill work ethic and resolve into them, mcillorum and mead are great signings
Wigan - still a decent squad and always good youngsters, but they are so one dimensional and aren't as aggressive or dominant as previous years
KR - based on good home form and Sheens think they should avoid the wooden spoon
Salford - who knows, glimpses of brilliance last year, less egos but so much instability. Hope Watson is given time
Widnes - so reliant on young/unfashionable players, I tip them for bottom every year and they always surprise me

Giants - last years injuries mean we have a lot of young lads with experience. Losing Leroy and mellor is a blow but we have enough talent and depth to compete with anyone. For me the most important thing is our half back pairing, we need a more balanced play and not running through Brough every time. Whether either Gaskell or Rankin are dominant enough time will tell, maybe those 2 together are the answer, especially long term. I hope we play some better rugby this year and are 100% effort every week. If we keep our spine fit and Jerry/Seb/Ukuma/Oli are on form I think we could have a good run in either the cup or the league. Also hoping to see a fully fit Turner his his straps with us.

I think it could finish in any order from 3rd-12th depending on remaining recruitment and luck with injuries,its a good job we've had a world cup because I've really missed my rugby, season can't come soon enough
Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:26 pm
Posted by brearley84 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:26 pm
brearley84 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

no ones putting us in the bottom 4 yet then :D

alot of our players and the coach are out of contract in 2018 too, usually see a spike in performances with contracts due
HUDDERSFIELD
-
Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm
Posted by HuddsRL5 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm
HuddsRL5 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Got to start the year with optimism haven't we! :D
Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 am
Posted by jools on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 am
jools User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Starting the year with no more injuries is what I want to see!
the future's bright the future's claret and gold