WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan - Thoughts!
Re: Wigan - Thoughts!
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:25 pm
Posted by GiantJake1988 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:25 pm
GiantJake1988 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

brearley84 wrote:
agree with most

not having this wigan depleted squad stuff, ok they are but they had the ref today and beat warrington last week , we arent at full strength either.

mcintosh a positive but needs to work on attack but he will continue to improve.

not sure mellor is a top sl centre., shame we dont have another whatuira, chance today to put murphy in for a try and it was an awful forward pass

we seem to like having second rowers playing as centres though look at joe wardle

Agree on Mellor I think hes finding it tough but you have to remember he came the week before the first game from the championship to a whole new level into a team thats struggling to find form really. I think he will be a different player next year after a pre season and hes still very young. He may even improve lots as the season goes on, he runs strong but his handling isnt great.

I think we also need to replace Murphy on the wing.....hopefully that will happen when Mamo is back playing
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 pm
Posted by brearley84 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 pm
brearley84 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

i dont mind murphy personally, think hes solid, he did slip for that wigan try in the corner though, was it even a try? shame we dont have a screen to go too...

mamo to full back, can see him add an extra string to our bow in the line attack, mcintosh not quite there yet on that score but very solid in defence

mellor a second rower for me but yeh still time on his side but not going to be the centre that puts his winger away every week which we have missed on that side for years
HUDDERSFIELD
-
THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Posted by Code13 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Code13 100% League Network
100% League Network

Isn't Mellor also more of a second row?

I'd like to see Sam Wood in his spot, and agree on Murphy - he's solid as a rock but will never win us a game, sadly Ormsby hasn't worked out well and other players are injured
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Posted by GiantJake1988 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Cheeky half-back

brearley84 wrote:
i dont mind murphy personally, think hes solid, he did slip for that wigan try in the corner though, was it even a try? shame we dont have a screen to go too...

mamo to full back, can see him add an extra string to our bow in the line attack, mcintosh not quite there yet on that score but very solid in defence

mellor a second rower for me but yeh still time on his side but not going to be the centre that puts his winger away every week which we have missed on that side for years

Id like to see Simpson aswell on the wing once back fit instead of Murphy to see how he does for a while but cant see it ever happening.

What id like to happen really this off season:

Lose Hinchliffe (Use the money to get a centre)
Brough retire and become a coach - Because he wll have played all year and then have played in the world cup as well so will have had a tough old season at that age and will probably miss most of pre season due to it.
Rapiras contact is up so if he doesnt get a new deal use the money to get another overseas impact prop some like David Fifita or a good English prop if one becomes available.
Lose Gene Ormsby and Paul Clough and use the money combined to get a better winger. We have wing cover and the likes of Smith/Dickinson and Matty English will be another year developed are the same standard as Clough so he would be no loss.
Move Alex Mellor to the 2nd row and get used to that position ready to take over from Ferguson/Symonds whos contracts end in 18.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm
Posted by jools on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm
jools User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

GiantJake1988 wrote:
Id like to see Simpson aswell on the wing once back fit instead of Murphy to see how he does for a while but cant see it ever happening.

What id like to happen really this off season:

Lose Hinchliffe (Use the money to get a centre)
Brough retire and become a coach - Because he wll have played all year and then have played in the world cup as well so will have had a tough old season at that age and will probably miss most of pre season due to it.
Rapiras contact is up so if he doesnt get a new deal use the money to get another overseas impact prop some like David Fifita or a good English prop if one becomes available.
Lose Gene Ormsby and Paul Clough and use the money combined to get a better winger. We have wing cover and the likes of Smith/Dickinson and Matty English will be another year developed are the same standard as Clough so he would be no loss.
Move Alex Mellor to the 2nd row and get used to that position ready to take over from Ferguson/Symonds whos contracts end in 18.

So lose our top tackler and replace him with who at hooker- because playing kruise at 80 minutes a game is a sure way to kill him off at 21 yrs old!
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm
Posted by GiantJake1988 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm
Cheeky half-back

jools wrote:
So lose our top tackler and replace him with who at hooker- because playing kruise at 80 minutes a game is a sure way to kill him off at 21 yrs old!

Adam O Brien when he is back fit - im sure we will see that combination at some point this season.

If we are going to play a tackling machine at loose then id rather Bruno play LF for 80 mins and spell Leeming and O Brien.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 pm
Posted by P-J on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 pm
P-J User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

brearley84 wrote:
agree with most

not having this wigan depleted squad stuff, ok they are but they had the ref today and beat warrington last week , we arent at full strength either.

mcintosh a positive but needs to work on attack but he will continue to improve.

not sure mellor is a top sl centre., shame we dont have another whatuira, chance today to put murphy in for a try and it was an awful forward pass

we seem to like having second rowers playing as centres though look at joe wardle

Interesting, I thought the ref was giving Huddersfield everything.

Albeit he did award us a dodgy try.

A scrappy game and a draw was a fair result. Has Brough really gone that downhill - I was certain he'd hit the drop goal to win it for you.

Also I was impressed with Gaskell, I've always thought he's a good player.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm
Posted by jools on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm
jools User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

P-J wrote:
Interesting, I thought the ref was giving Huddersfield everything.

Take a look at the penalty count. You were shockingly offside on your line all through the first half- we were sat right there and it was criminally obvious. Forsyth? 32 - wasn't even pretending to get back. Yet only hudds penalised offside all game.
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:58 pm
Posted by brearley84 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:58 pm
brearley84 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

mellor for sam wood who seems a more natural centre could be a good call

mellor is a 2nd rower for me but he is progressing well, good one for the future just not at centre

i still fear we wont see jared simpson again, hope we do
HUDDERSFIELD
-
THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE
Previous