Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:25 pm  
Harry Stottle wrote:
Sorry ATOMIC, I will rephrase that post,
"I suspect against Batley with all to pay, we will in Sept 2018 be approaching our best ever attendance at the LSV, we may even top the 10556 that attended the corresponding fixture in Sept 2016, Leigh fans are expected to flock in their thousands after what is probably the most dissapointing season witnessed in living memory (well at least mine, first game in 1959 and going ever since) a season that promised so much, was hijacked as it taxied down the runway, by and in equal proportions, rank bad management, totally inept coaching, and pi55 poor player performances on the field"
Lay it all down in chronological order from the MPG to were we stand and the predicament we are in today, it should all be chronicled and entitled How not to run a professional sporting organisation
Get real Atomic, I will be there for the games, but it will be more out of the habit of attending for a lifetime, not in appreciation of what this shower have achieved, but there are a lot more who's personal habit of watchin Leigh is no more than 2 maybe 3 seasons old, they will take a lot more convincing to turn up for the rest of this season and next.
That negativity you accuse me of being full of, is precisely how we as a club will be moving forward, short of Sugar Daddy descending on the club, someone will have to sit and look long and hard at how we budget our resources in the immediate future, and it could well be that monies we recieve through the turnstiles will be high on the list of contributors, it has to be taken as a realisation that attendances are going to cascade down, its no good "doing the ostrich" and pretend it ain't going to happen.

So tell me Harry , what exactly do you want me to do ?

Run around shouting " we're DOOOMED " in my best Scottish accent like Mr Fraser ? , or just get along to the rest of the matches , encourage with reasonable enthusiasm for others to attend and see what the future will bring ?

I'll be doing the later
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain485No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 20159 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Apr 22 07:4828th Mar 22 08:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:08 pm  
GUBRATS wrote:
So tell me Harry , what exactly do you want me to do ?

Run around shouting " we're DOOOMED " in my best Scottish accent like Mr Fraser ? , or just get along to the rest of the matches , encourage with reasonable enthusiasm for others to attend and see what the future will bring ?

I'll be doing the later

As I stated Gubby I will still be there, but I get the feeling reading on these pages that everything is going to be hunky dory, OK those who take time (most of them) who bother to write on these pages are already the converted, but we need to take a realistic view of the calamity we find ourselves in, as I have stated previously I have followed this club through much more "thin than thick" but I have never felt as despondent of the future as I do at this present time, we have been down many times in the past but the goalposts have changed in recent times, no money = not a lot of progress.

Am I angry, you bet I am, Mr. Beaumont has poured his heart and soul into the club but with his best intentions his decision making has been his and ultimately
Leigh's down fall, keeping both Cunningham as his player advising guru and Jukes as the coach could go down in history as the death knell of the club, and I cannot put into words what that set of overpaid prima donna's who took to the field have dobe to this proud club.

Rant over, I needed to get it of my chest, I really care about Leigh RLFC, and like a lot of others feel totally let down by the club.

You are correct, keep a positive arttitude and see what the future brings, onwards and upwards, only time will tell.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2448No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 21 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Dec 20 17:3710th Sep 20 03:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:36 pm  
Harry, I agree with you 100% and don't be cowed by anybody on here. A textbook cock-up. Our money from Sky, an additional 500k from SL, plus revenue from tickets/merchandise and presumably some of Derek's own money has apparently ALL (or mostly) be blown on ONE season. A season of complete and utter failure at the end of the day, despite a valiant attempt to dig ourselves out of our own hole. Where was the contingency planning, the Plan B? Did we need to have a Grade A (on paper) squad but a Grade C coach? What has been done is simply unforgiveable. Didn't we have a smart Finance guy on the board who was keeping things under control? Whatever happened to him? And now Derek walks away, leaving us to pick up the pieces, unless he changes his mind again! In my mind, he has let us down very badly, and it's a pity that his reputation is now in tatters as I believe his heart is in the right place. However, I sincerely hope he doesn't run his business in the same manner!

As for 2,500 against Batley , I actually think you might be a little optimistic. Yes, there is a hard core of support, but how big is it? Hopefully, there will be positive developments in the next 6 months to give us all some hope of being back to sustainable, prudently run club.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 08 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Mar 20 21:279th Mar 20 07:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:56 pm  
mapleyther wrote:
Harry, I agree with you 100% and don't be cowed by anybody on here. A textbook cock-up. Our money from Sky, an additional 500k from SL, plus revenue from tickets/merchandise and presumably some of Derek's own money has apparently ALL (or mostly) be blown on ONE season. A season of complete and utter failure at the end of the day, despite a valiant attempt to dig ourselves out of our own hole. Where was the contingency planning, the Plan B? Did we need to have a Grade A (on paper) squad but a Grade C coach? What has been done is simply unforgiveable. Didn't we have a smart Finance guy on the board who was keeping things under control? Whatever happened to him? And now Derek walks away, leaving us to pick up the pieces, unless he changes his mind again! In my mind, he has let us down very badly, and it's a pity that his reputation is now in tatters as I believe his heart is in the right place. However, I sincerely hope he doesn't run his business in the same manner!

As for 2,500 against Batley , I actually think you might be a little optimistic. Yes, there is a hard core of support, but how big is it? Hopefully, there will be positive developments in the next 6 months to give us all some hope of being back to sustainable, prudently run club.

Reputation in tatters ? , nope , everybody makes decisions in good faith ' sometimes they work , sometimes they don't , thats the way it is

He obviously doesn't run his business the same way or he wouldn't have had the money to put in , if he ran the club in the same way as his business , he wouldn't be involved with the club , simple as

Ultimately if our ' core ' fan base is less than 2,500 we don't deserve SL , and ' prudence ' is fine , but boring and rarely if ever achieves anything , certainly in sport
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain485No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 20159 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Apr 22 07:4828th Mar 22 08:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:23 am  
GUBRATS wrote:
Reputation in tatters ? , nope , everybody makes decisions in good faith ' sometimes they work , sometimes they don't , thats the way it is

He obviously doesn't run his business the same way or he wouldn't have had the money to put in , if he ran the club in the same way as his business , he wouldn't be involved with the club , simple as

Ultimately if our ' core ' fan base is less than 2,500 we don't deserve SL , and ' prudence ' is fine , but boring and rarely if ever achieves anything , certainly in sport

I don't think his reputation is in tatters, the selection of his immediate managerial staff has been his downfall, that and not having the abillity to sense that those appointments were not in the best interests of the rugby club and not having either the sense or the dangly bits to make the nessacary adjustments.

As for prudence, are you an all eggs in one basket kind of guy Gubby, do you throw everything at any one thing in particular, or do you measure your assests with contingencies, like savings or insurance or pension for when the time comes that you need to call on them, those things may be boring but they are essential if you want to continue to enjoy life.

As Maple Leyther said, where was the financial guru to pull the reigns in, or was he just a cashier who held the purse and gave the contents over till the purse was empty?

So, what do you think our 'core supporter' numbers are?, I suspect we have both been regulars through the bad times of around just over the four figure mark, our season in SL said we averaged 6,500, from that figure I doubt the away following exceeded an average of 1,500 that would have given us over 5,000 of our own, last week yielded 3,100, will that be about our average after this season is completed? Whatever it is the trend is the Leigh public are deserting, that trend needs addressing, it is not the people on this site that need convincing to stay it is those who have doubts, the club needs to spend some money to target those people............................... hang on a mo, we've no money it all went in fell swoop, no contingencies!

PS, I don't know you Gubby, I have an idea who you may be from other posts you have made on this and another site, you have indicated that you were once in an officious position within the club, maybe at board level? If I have got that correct would you have taken the same path as we ventured on this season?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 08 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 am  
Harry Stottle wrote:
I don't think his reputation is in tatters, the selection of his immediate managerial staff has been his downfall, that and not having the abillity to sense that those appointments were not in the best interests of the rugby club and not having either the sense or the dangly bits to make the nessacary adjustments.

As for prudence, are you an all eggs in one basket kind of guy Gubby, do you throw everything at any one thing in particular, or do you measure your assests with contingencies, like savings or insurance or pension for when the time comes that you need to call on them, those things may be boring but they are essential if you want to continue to enjoy life.

As Maple Leyther said, where was the financial guru to pull the reigns in, or was he just a cashier who held the purse and gave the contents over till the purse was empty?

So, what do you think our 'core supporter' numbers are?, I suspect we have both been regulars through the bad times of around just over the four figure mark, our season in SL said we averaged 6,500, from that figure I doubt the away following exceeded an average of 1,500 that would have given us over 5,000 of our own, last week yielded 3,100, will that be about our average after this season is completed? Whatever it is the trend is the Leigh public are deserting, that trend needs addressing, it is not the people on this site that need convincing to stay it is those who have doubts, the club needs to spend some money to target those people............................... hang on a mo, we've no money it all went in fell swoop, no contingencies!

PS, I don't know you Gubby, I have an idea who you may be from other posts you have made on this and another site, you have indicated that you were once in an officious position within the club, maybe at board level? If I have got that correct would you have taken the same path as we ventured on this season?

Impossible to know wether I or anyone else would have done things differently due to not knowing Derek's situation at that time and indeed now having the benifit of hindsight

My own preferences have always been to try to build the fan base , something I would be much more proactive in if it was my decision , and of course my money
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain262
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 29 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Dec 20 20:2915th Dec 20 20:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:12 am  
Essentially, DB didn't know how to adapt when Rowley unexpectedly 'abandoned' him. I think we all agree an experienced head was needed ala Tim Sheens. But instead, Jukes came in and subsequently Cunningham immersed himself in the coaching along with Jukes which evidently didn't help things -- probably wanted Jukes out and the coaches role for himself.

DB did a much better job than Cunningham as Head with regards to player recruitment. Post MPG, if management had renegotiated with and kept the majority of the 2017 squad... A promotion to SL was definitely on. Who initiated the clear out?

A few poor choices and the Cunningham Effect = Disaster! Look at Saints, new coach, 1 new player and the transformation is immense.
Alan 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 20 07:1217th Mar 20 21:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:14 am  
GUBRATS wrote:
Impossible to know wether I or anyone else would have done things differently due to not knowing Derek's situation at that time and indeed now having the benifit of hindsight

My own preferences have always been to try to build the fan base , something I would be much more proactive in if it was my decision , and of course my money

And that's where Salford are going to struggle, whether they survive the '8's' or not. We have a head start on them, providing we can maintain a good level of support throughout this 'crisis'. The 'instant fix' of achieving SL status, gave us some good gates, but I'm not sure how we build up the support in the Championship or, dread the thought, in League 1.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 08 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:09 pm  
Alan wrote:
And that's where Salford are going to struggle, whether they survive the '8's' or not. We have a head start on them, providing we can maintain a good level of support throughout this 'crisis'. The 'instant fix' of achieving SL status, gave us some good gates, but I'm not sure how we build up the support in the Championship or, dread the thought, in League 1.

You work and invest in building your fan base no matter where you are on the league ladder ' you use your community dept/trust/foundation ' whatever it is called to get people ( young and old ) into the stadium on a match day by hook or crook , it isn't just the match or the quality of the opposition that can/will draw them back , it is the atmosphere and the ' feel good ' of being ( becoming ) part of something fun , a sense of belonging and ownership

I very much feel we missed out when initially moving into the LSV , Arthur while happy to invest quite heavily in players and coaching wasn't happy to put any money into marketing , instead just expecting people to come ' we really should have been all over the town inviting the whole town to come and witness just how good it could be

A big crowd generates its own atmosphere , and becomes self serving
Alan 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 20 07:1217th Mar 20 21:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Championship Shield Fixtures : Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:34 pm  
Back in the day when Widnes had returned to SL (2011/12?) and Mike Callaghan was our Commercial/General manager, I gave him a copy of an interview with Widnes's then Commercial manager. In that interview, he stated that the biggest mistake Widnes made on returning to SL, was to assume there was no need to get out and about in the town to make sure everyone know that they were in SL. He reckoned that the club just short-sightedly sat back and assumed the people would come to them.

It's always been a source of amazement that RL clubs - ours just as much as any other - are happy to splash the cash on players (and granted, they are obviously needed) but not on promoting the product they are trying to sell. Surely, every business promotes its product - why not RL clubs?
PreviousNext