WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Jukes β€˜ The Million Pound β€˜ mistake

Board index Championship Leigh Centurions Jukes β€˜ The Million Pound β€˜ mistake

Posted by Montyburns on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:33 am
Montyburns Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm
Posts: 814
The game is already ruined the amateur game is dying a slow death it’s a shame cause if it carries on at this rate there will be no amateur game. I think the move to summer rugby killed it move back to winter and run an academy/A team in the summer along side the pro/semi pro clubs
Posted by GUBRATS on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 am
GUBRATS User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:35 pm
Posts: 2084
LeythIg wrote:
If we don't try to setup a reserves and academy, then we're 100% certain never to get any benefit from it.

Am sick of reading about how clubs on the doorstep means we can't do anything, if we're serious about being a community club, we should be doing our bit to get people in the town playing and give them a pathway in the sport.


Don't get me wrong , I'd prefer us to be much more active and supportive of RL within the community , be that localish amateur clubs or schools

However just having us take another couple of dozen players from the local U 16 s after Wigan,Wire and Saints have cherry picked the best isn't going to help them or us , quite often lads end up playing just 6/8 games a year as outside SL games are constantly called off due to numbers not being available

Yes it needs sorting but there's more to it than just Leigh setting up a team
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb
Posted by GUBRATS on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 am
GUBRATS User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:35 pm
Posts: 2084
Montyburns wrote:
The game is already ruined the amateur game is dying a slow death it’s a shame cause if it carries on at this rate there will be no amateur game. I think the move to summer rugby killed it move back to winter and run an academy/A team in the summer along side the pro/semi pro clubs


Indeed Monty , more important than us ( Leigh Centurions ) getting the occasional local lad come through is having a well supported and thriving local amateur sport
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb
Posted by Harry Stottle on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:42 am
Harry Stottle Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:28 am
Posts: 240
atomic wrote:
I don't think a reserve or academy is in the interest of Leigh at present. They have moved from creating stability to a Club in survival again.

Reserves are not the answer. We had them. Now a different development plan with a gateway may help. That goes for the whole of the game. The sport is years behind in developing SL players, do you think simply starting a reserve side will sort all?

No it won't. The game needs a major change to bring it into reality. That could be a cost of Leigh, Widnes or even Leeds, the list is endless.

Get a plan in place and stick to it.. If the feeder club is the way then get on with it, before the game is ruined.

The bit I have highlighted in bold?
I appreciate your enthusiasm but stability in the club is not one of our attributes, just look at the board index of this site in which clubs are placed, in the last 3 years in chronological order in the 8's system we have been in 8 catagories namely, Championship, Qualifiers, Championship, Qualifiers, Super League, Qualifiers, Championship, Sheild contenders, the club is as stable as a rowing boat in the middle of a stormy sea.
Posted by GUBRATS on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 am
GUBRATS User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:35 pm
Posts: 2084
Harry Stottle wrote:
The bit I have highlighted in bold?
I appreciate your enthusiasm but stability in the club is not one of our attributes, just look at the board index of this site in which clubs are placed, in the last 3 years in chronological order in the 8's system we have been in 8 catagories namely, Championship, Qualifiers, Championship, Qualifiers, Super League, Qualifiers, Championship, Sheild contenders, the club is as stable as a rowing boat in the middle of a stormy sea.


But that's just the nature of sport and of teams at the level of the ' gap ' , it's certainly more fun than the 6 years of decline stuck outside a licenced SL

What will the future hold ? Who knows ' great Innit ?
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb
Posted by EVO105 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am
EVO105 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:17 pm
Posts: 225
once the SL clubs have decided on he next structure then we can evaluate the next short term path to take
Posted by Cokey on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 am
Cokey User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 44
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 4691
Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
EVO105 wrote:
once the SL clubs have decided on he next structure then we can evaluate the next short term path to take


Now that's a sensible post,i agree.
Image
Posted by atomic on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:17 am
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:07 pm
Posts: 5431
Montyburns wrote:
The game is already ruined the amateur game is dying a slow death it’s a shame cause if it carries on at this rate there will be no amateur game. I think the move to summer rugby killed it move back to winter and run an academy/A team in the summer along side the pro/semi pro clubs


It makes no difference Summer or Winter. What the community game requires is full support from the towns main club. But that has to work both ways in order for continuity to work.

I'm not simple and read many posts, of people involved with the amateur game including yourself in that. I can understand frustrations as someone with a goal in life forgot the ethos of the sport in order to find fame.

Not sure what bridges have been burnt with that claim to fame,but I know they need to be built again.
Image
Posted by Montyburns on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:39 am
Montyburns Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm
Posts: 814
Of course going back to winter will help as in the summer it will free up players from amateur game to play for academy or A team without effecting the amateur game where you have to call games off as not enough players. Since amateur went to summer every club as struggled and it’s only getting worse if you look through the results you will see at least 12 games conceded a week
Posted by atomic on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:11 pm
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,258

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:07 pm
Posts: 5431
Montyburns wrote:
Of course going back to winter will help as in the summer it will free up players from amateur game to play for academy or A team without effecting the amateur game where you have to call games off as not enough players. Since amateur went to summer every club as struggled and it’s only getting worse if you look through the results you will see at least 12 games conceded a week


Its one factor for consideration, but thats not the full picture.
Image
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bread basket, chris 35, Montyburns, Peter Kay, scrum and 123 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leigh Centurions


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,810,1961,63577,2584,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






22