WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League a minority sport

Board index Kingstone Press Championship Leigh Centurions Rugby League a minority sport

Rugby League a minority sport
Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:58 am
Posted by westleighjim on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:58 am
westleighjim User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

England play New Zealand Tomorrow yet no mention of it of the BBC sports this morning, they are more interested in who will be the new Manager of England Rugby union. Women's football gets more air time than Rugby League.
Re: Rugby League a minority sport
Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:25 am
Posted by Ste100Centurions on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:25 am
Ste100Centurions Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I suppose to an extent RL is a minority sport.

If you were to take the Global & U.K attendance, viewing & participation figures of RL & analyse side by side with the well known major sports, then RL would pale into insignificance by comparison.

It really shouldn't bother us too much as RU Globally isn't that much better & wouldn't feature in the top 10 most played/viewed/attended stakes. *Probably*

While I know we are not in the rudest health in RL Land, I don't believe that there is any imminent danger of collapse to our most treasured sport.

The RFL could do much better at redressing the imbalance & move us closer to parity by investing in the sport & abandoning the "everything the NRL do we must do" ethos they hold so dearly.

For me at least, it is a measure of the inadequacy of the leadership of our governing body that holds the sport back.
The steadfast & resolute denial from the board of the RFL that their is a better way & their one eyed & blinkered approach suffocates growth.

I can admire the RFL's tenacity in pushing the RL Everywhere mantra, but you must be able to also recognise regions that simply do not want RL & even RU is a pebble in the ocean.

Finally, it is now around 30 years since I used to stand on the steps of the Railway End or on the terrace *Tommy Martyn Bar* ? side & laugh as the announcement was made "today's attendance is 10,000/9,000/11,000 etc, while fighting for air & a viewpoint amongst 13 - 14,000 other speccies.

How I would love to see that at the LSV.
Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am
Posted by atomic on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,369

The bbc only have rights to the CC and England games,thats not really a stage to build Rugby League upon. As a company your not going to promote a sport when the next live game they have rights to is 6 months down the road.

The same with Sky they secured SL 2017-2021 deal when Nigel Wood told them BT Sports were showing an interest in SL. Along with that deal saw Sky taking the rights for Championship/1 from Premier Sports and then stuffed us all up by stating no 2nd Tier games will be broadcast.

That doesn't do much for promoting the sport either.Is it a minority sport? No it's a monopoly by Sky who only want Super League.
Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:44 pm
Posted by Lowton_Sparrow on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:44 pm
Lowton_Sparrow User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Yes RL is a minority sport but the annoying thing is so is RU. RU at club level can only dream of the TV viewing figures SL gets. There's only any interest in RU when BBC or ITV shove promotion & adverts for international games into every home for months in advance, always said if the Challenge cup got the same promotion the 6 nations got it'd be the bigger event. The problem is while RL is a minority sport for working class Northerners RU is for upper class southerners, the sort of people who run the TV channels and write the sports columns in the papers & give so much attention to their favourite sports and ignore what's popular or interesting. Fortunately newspapers are dying being replaced online & with video streaming TV could go the same way, RL needs to embrace this and really push that way as we're never going to get a fair hearing from the RU fans who run papers & TV.