WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Fifth Round Match Details

Board index Championship Leigh Centurions Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Fifth Round Match Details

Posted by Leigh Centurions on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:21 pm
Leigh Centurions User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Leigh Centurions can confirm that their Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Fifth Round tie against Salford Red Devils will take place at Leigh Sports Village on Saturday 18 April, kick-off 2.35pm. The tie will be shown live on Sky Sports.

The teams have met on eight previous occasions in the Challenge Cup, with Salford victorious on five occasions with one draw.

Leigh Centurions ran out winners in their last Challenge Cup meeting against Salford in 2001, overcoming a 0-12 half-time deficit to win the fourth round tie 16-12 in front of 6,408 spectators at Hilton Park.

Current Reserves Team Coach Paul Anderson was among the Leigh try-scorers that day with Neil Turley and Adam Bristow also going over, Simon Svabic kicking two goals. Warren Jowitt had scored two first-half tries for Salford, Steve Blakeley kicking two goals.

Leigh’s only previous victory over Salford in the competition was in 1958 when three goals by Brian Fallon secured a hard-fought 6-4 success in a third round replay in front of 16.656 fans at The Willows.

Salford knocked out Leigh in a second round tie in 1900 and were also victorious in further Challenge Cup meetings between the two sides in 1903, 1907, 1981 and 1983.
Ticket details will be released shortly along with information on Hospitality and Dining packages.
Posted by Leyther_Matt on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:44 pm
Leyther_Matt User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Was banking on anything but the Saturday afternoon so unfortunately it's a no from me.

Getting very hard to second guess fixtures these days as a Saturday afternoon was the last thing that entered my head when trying to plan for that weekend around a potential cup game. I'm sure it'll be a big crowd regardless and a belter of a game.
Posted by maurice on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 pm
maurice User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

I cant make it also, board a return plane about 9pm that night - gutted, mainly because there was no CC game scheduled for TV that weekend. The euphoria of a great occasion for me has gone but I hope the fans get behind it and hopefully some who wouldn't normally go get down and lift the roof of the LSV, taking the lads to an historic win.
Nothing the club could do about this remember, so if it buggers your plans up like mine lets just hope for a win and another SL club at home next round - Wigan anyone??
Posted by rob_a on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 pm
rob_a User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I can :DANCE:
Brad Fitler "If the ref's decision decides your game. You haven't done enough prior."

Referees are like women, they make snap decisions and never reverse them.

[b]Littlerich wrote[/b] Widnes will be glad to get away from Leigh. They've been regularly pumped, roasted and left in the alley-way by the lobbygobblers. Talk about being bitched - what a torrid time they've had. They'll be looking for some A&E rest time for the next three years at least.
Posted by HalifaxCougar on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am
HalifaxCougar Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Leyther_Matt wrote:
Was banking on anything but the Saturday afternoon so unfortunately it's a no from me.

Getting very hard to second guess fixtures these days as a Saturday afternoon was the last thing that entered my head when trying to plan for that weekend around a potential cup game. I'm sure it'll be a big crowd regardless and a belter of a game.

You should still see the game bud providing Hibs win in normal time.

Think I am on same trains to and from Glasgow.
Soon be Monday.