OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Feb 24 18:1818th Feb 23 10:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
" Time is but a flowing stream".
Pedro. Higherfold Cockey Pond. 1973.

You can shout for silence, but boots worn all day will always hum.

Re: Crowds : Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:20 pm  
You sound a bit like me Ant but I gave up on football when the games were interfering with my Sunday's watching Leigh. Football would always be the poor relation to RL in my life. Welcome back to the familly.
ant7t2 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain779
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jun 18 05:3231st May 18 19:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Crowds : Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:43 pm  
TV BOY wrote:
You sound a bit like me Ant but I gave up on football when the games were interfering with my Sunday's watching Leigh. Football would always be the poor relation to RL in my life. Welcome back to the familly.

Thanks. It's good to be back.

I still enjoy football, but it's not as good as it used to be, for me, and it's not as honest as rugby.

Just thought too, even the internet was only in it's infancy when I last watched Leigh. lol. And some of Leigh's current squad weren't even born!!

Now I feel old...

:lol:
RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 201311 years262nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jun 23 08:5718th Jun 23 08:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Crowds : Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:26 pm  
ant7t2 wrote:
I was what's known as a "lapsed Leyther" up until the start of this pre-season. And I was a proper "lapser" because I hadn't been for 22 years!!!

And it was only by chance that I am back supporting the club now because I have had no interest in rugby league whilst I've been away. I kept a tiny eyeball on Leigh and the odd match on tele' but generally my life steered me well away from the great game.

My uncle, who's been watching Leigh all his life, invited me to preseason; and having not seen him proplerly either for several years I decided to make an effort.

It was only when I started to read and catch-up with Leigh's recent history that I stared to appreciate what I had been missing. My first match back was against North Wales in preseason I had no idea about any of Leigh's players which left me feeling quite ignorant to be honest.

Anyway, I know now, that having first watched Leigh at the age of 8 in 1980 , then supporting them at Hilton Park until about 1992 - and then coming "home" to support them again all these year later at the LSV, that the club is in my heart and I should never have severed all ties.

It's more than good to be back and the future looks very bright indeed. Let's hope there are a few more like me out there that return home.

Welcome back ant7t2.

I saw many new & many old lapsed faces @ the Bradford game & also at the Wigan "unfriendly", it's no bad thing & if as a Club & as fans we can encourage 1 in 5 of these casual fans to become regulars at games then the Club & team will benefit, driving us onwards & upwards with force.

My message to you ant & all Leigh Centurions fans is to keep spreading the word, to anyone who will listen, positivity & passion are infectious, let's infect the town with "the word".

Congratulations on finding your way home ant7t2.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 201311 years262nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jun 23 08:5718th Jun 23 08:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Crowds : Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 pm  
glow wrote:
Be interesting to see our next home gate, two away games and then with all due respect to Whitehaven arguably a less glamorous tie than the previous two.

The town is buzzing at the moment and the key will be to keep it there whilst no home fixture for a few weeks, but if we can get another 4500 in that game then I feel we will have truly turned a corner, and come the middle 8’s especially if we go into them on a roll, I'd be hoping we could be looking at adding at least another 2000 home fans.

Hi glow.

Quite new to the forum but a Leyther (adopted) for the last 33 years.

I would be surprised if the Whitehaven game attracted 4,500 - possibly 3,000 I estimate, but as the weather gets better & we approach the middle 8's I expect attendances to pick up again.

I would also be surprised if the home ties against Fax & Fev attracted less than 5,000, what with both those clubs having many more travelling fans than London & the rest of the division.

The main thing I want to point out (not to yourself) for anyone reading is the 'Knock on Effect' of increased crowd figures.

The atmosphere is vastly better.

The increased gate receipts pay for higher quality players on longer term contracts, therefore strengthening an already strong team.

People in high places take notice (especially after the 7,500 v Bradford).

Sponsors are pleased, but more importantly, new & sometimes bigger sponsors are attracted & old sponsorships are renegotiated & improved.

Rugby League & entertainment is the product that Leigh Centurions want to sell, if lots of people like that product & buy that product by going through the turnstile then the Club grows stronger, bigger & more of a force within the game.

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, just pointing out the bleedin' obvious really.

#BelieveInLeigh
#NorthStandRoar
#OriginalNoiseyNeighbours
ant7t2 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain779
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Crowds : Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:31 pm  
Cheers for the welcome, Ste.

And I'll looking forward to chatting with you. :)
glow 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 02 200321 years305th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Feb 24 21:304th Feb 24 18:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
get leigh outta wigan

Re: Crowds : Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:44 am  
Ste100Centurions wrote:
Hi glow.

Quite new to the forum but a Leyther (adopted) for the last 33 years.

I would be surprised if the Whitehaven game attracted 4,500 - possibly 3,000 I estimate, but as the weather gets better & we approach the middle 8's I expect attendances to pick up again.

I would also be surprised if the home ties against Fax & Fev attracted less than 5,000, what with both those clubs having many more travelling fans than London & the rest of the division.

The main thing I want to point out (not to yourself) for anyone reading is the 'Knock on Effect' of increased crowd figures.

The atmosphere is vastly better.

The increased gate receipts pay for higher quality players on longer term contracts, therefore strengthening an already strong team.

People in high places take notice (especially after the 7,500 v Bradford).

Sponsors are pleased, but more importantly, new & sometimes bigger sponsors are attracted & old sponsorships are renegotiated & improved.

Rugby League & entertainment is the product that Leigh Centurions want to sell, if lots of people like that product & buy that product by going through the turnstile then the Club grows stronger, bigger & more of a force within the game.

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, just pointing out the bleedin' obvious really.

#BelieveInLeigh
#NorthStandRoar
#OriginalNoiseyNeighbours

Hi Ste and welcome to the forum,

IMO the problem with simply saying “wait until it gets warmer” it’s like the old ‘build it and they’ll come’ attitude, I don’t think they will.

Generally people are creatures of habit, we drink in the same pub, we sit or stand in the same place at LSV, we watch the same TV programmes, etc. So now that we have done a great job in getting people down to LSV lets keep them coming not just sit back, and wait for the sun to shine or the big game.

We’ve had fans on here posting about being lapsed supporters who've returned, well its great to have them back, but I bet it was very easy for them to find other things to do at the time they initially gave up on Leigh, there’s lots of other things for families to do in the summer, but if we can get them routinely enjoying themselves down at LSV hopefully they’ll not look for other things to do and supporting Leigh will become part of their lives for years to come.

What’s the RL’s motto at the moment “Every game counts”, well lets make sure it does.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16250
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Feb 20 07:4014th Feb 20 10:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!

Re: Crowds : Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:04 pm  
Every game counts unless of course we are guaranteed top spot with 4 games left :)
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member25757
JoinedServiceReputation
May 21 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Feb 21 15:223rd Feb 21 00:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Please do not send me any PM's I dont check this board often enough to be able to answer them, use my e mail add please fjparkinson@virginmedia.com

All posts on this message board by me are mine I am NOT a representative in any way shape or form of ANY Rugby League club.

Re: Crowds : Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23 pm  
Just to add another spanner in the works how can/will these returning and new fans convince their families that Summer Sundays are for the Rugby? after all these Sundays in recent years being spent together.
Would it not benefit us in that case to go to Friday nights, also bearing in mind that the part time clubs wouldn't relish coming over the hill or down the M6 on a Friday night thereby possibly giving the team 'an edge'?
ant7t2 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain779
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Crowds : Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:35 pm  
Word will spread anyway if any local teams are doing well or things are happening in any sport.

Leigh will get talked about and especially so if all at the club continue in the current vein. I'm confident of that.

Crowds have increased dramatically already.

I went to watch little Bury FC the other week at their ground. The pitch was excellent and they played 352 with good passing football. Crowds were up!! The pitch, style of play and positivity alone put more bums on seats!! Even at that level of football.
Previous