WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Local Heroes?
Re: Local Heroes?
Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm
Posted by Harry Stottle on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm
Harry Stottle Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

There are not many present day that if they are not snapped up by the age of 15 and useually of a lower age that turn pro or semi- pro that is no longer an option, long gone are the days local amatuer open age players would turn pro, or ecen the lads who were truly amatuer in the under 17's colts or under 19's 'B' team. The game has far less player's coming through the ranks.
All those who beileve that a number of teams should emerge in virgin territories like North America were these new clubs would be fishing for players in an ever decreasing pool are deluding themselves it will be good for the game, standards will drop alarmingly.
Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm
Posted by The Don on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm
The Don Stevo's Armpit

Some good points raised, particularly with top SL teams snapping up promising youngsters and increased demand in the future from North American teams. Having said that I get the sense that some teams outside of Super League still manage to recruit their own local players (Bradford primarily comes to mind). This is in contrast to Leigh whose last local player debuted 6 years ago. What prompted the initial post was the current poor performance of the team. I realise there are probably multiple reasons (coach, culture, lack of confidence, etc.) but I can't help thinking that if there was a decent proportion of local players present we wouldn't be faced with the current run of results. Easy to state I know, but not easy to fix!
Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 pm
Posted by EVO105 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 pm
EVO105 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

I am sure you both watch youth rugby locally and would agree there has been a decline in quality from both east and miners
Previous