WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Last 12 months - Wire and Saints Transformations

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Last 12 months - Wire and Saints Transformations

Posted by CW8 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 pm
CW8 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

At the minute I would settle for a side who could actually play a game just getting the basics right. We aren't great to watch, there have been a few glimpses but we still look like 20 points scored in a game is beyond us. The skill level isn't there, the discipline and mistakes are making it an incredibly frustrating watch, pretty much like last season, with a slightly stonger first team but much thinner squad.

The salary cap is killing superleague and us more than most because our youngsters seemingly can't just step in and we have players like Russel eating up cap space and contributing nothing.

I'm still hopeful, I wish that price had as long as Holbrook to assess the squad and recruit his own in the summer but with the world cup and our available cap space I'm not sure it would have made as much difference as we'd hope.
Posted by Wires71 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 pm
Wires71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

CW8 wrote:
At the minute I would settle for a side who could actually play a game just getting the basics right. We aren't great to watch, there have been a few glimpses but we still look like 20 points scored in a game is beyond us. The skill level isn't there, the discipline and mistakes are making it an incredibly frustrating watch, pretty much like last season, with a slightly stonger first team but much thinner squad.

The salary cap is killing superleague and us more than most because our youngsters seemingly can't just step in and we have players like Russel eating up cap space and contributing nothing.

I'm still hopeful, I wish that price had as long as Holbrook to assess the squad and recruit his own in the summer but with the world cup and our available cap space I'm not sure it would have made as much difference as we'd hope.

The only recruitment Saints made for 2018 was Ben Barba and James Bentley from Bradford. They are top of the league with broadly the same squad as that which was struggling under Cunningham. That's what's so impressive about what Holbrook has done.

We signed five new players and we are still gash.
https://www.mind.org.uk
Posted by rubber duckie on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 am
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 76,956

Wires71 wrote:
The only recruitment Saints made for 2018 was Ben Barba and James Bentley from Bradford. They are top of the league with broadly the same squad as that which was struggling under Cunningham. That's what's so impressive about what Holbrook has done.

No argument
once a wire always a wire
Posted by CW8 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:29 am
CW8 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Wires71 wrote:

I agree, but if Holbrook assessed our squad for half a season I would think that he would have signed more than 2 players in the off season. He has done a great job at saints but they had a better starting position, they have some great backs even without Barba and are solid in the forwards.
Posted by Lord Tony Smith on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 pm
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,956

AS108 - as I said let's judge you when you play a first decent team like Leeds.
Posted by karetaker on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:59 pm
karetaker User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Quiz Score: 276

Lord Tony Smith wrote:
AS108 - as I said let's judge you when you play a first decent team like Leeds.

Lol a depleted Leeds team at that.
Previous