OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th May 21 07:1928th Nov 20 19:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 am  
the flying biscuit wrote:
Good piece in the Guardian.
it seems anything the BBC can Snub, the Australians can do it better.....

Christ the Game needs someone to take it by the scruff of the neck like a Barry Hearns...??

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/13/rugby-league-world-cup-has-been-snubbed-in-nrl-obsessed-australia

I’m wondering if the reason why League is struggling in England is very much to do with the attitude of the Australians to internationals. Cricket has the Ashes, Union has the Six Nations, Tennis has Wimbledon - where is League’s red-blooded focal point that sustains the domestic game? Yes we have the RLWC every four years but the impression I get is that it is just viewed as a contractual obligation by Australia. I’m not sure anything other than regular GB v Australia series can help League grow, and until Australia get interested in international fixtures we will lack the chance to really have a showpiece on the calendar to appeal to the casual sports fan and grow the game again
the flying biscuit wrote:
Good piece in the Guardian.
it seems anything the BBC can Snub, the Australians can do it better.....

Christ the Game needs someone to take it by the scruff of the neck like a Barry Hearns...??

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/13/rugby-league-world-cup-has-been-snubbed-in-nrl-obsessed-australia

I’m wondering if the reason why League is struggling in England is very much to do with the attitude of the Australians to internationals. Cricket has the Ashes, Union has the Six Nations, Tennis has Wimbledon - where is League’s red-blooded focal point that sustains the domestic game? Yes we have the RLWC every four years but the impression I get is that it is just viewed as a contractual obligation by Australia. I’m not sure anything other than regular GB v Australia series can help League grow, and until Australia get interested in international fixtures we will lack the chance to really have a showpiece on the calendar to appeal to the casual sports fan and grow the game again
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13571
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 25 200618 years10th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:5618th Apr 24 18:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 am  
The timing of the RL world cup is not optimal as far as international sports go. Currently competing with

Ashes
Rugby Union Internationals
F1 Season Finale
2 England Internationals against Germany and Brazil.
Home nations football world cup qualifiers.

We don't make it easy to get press coverage.

Also my bugbear in the Rugby League tab on http://www.bbc.co.uk/sports disappears if you are not on an IP address in the North of England. We are buried on the 'All Sports' section along with darts, disability sports and gaelic games.
The timing of the RL world cup is not optimal as far as international sports go. Currently competing with

Ashes
Rugby Union Internationals
F1 Season Finale
2 England Internationals against Germany and Brazil.
Home nations football world cup qualifiers.

We don't make it easy to get press coverage.

Also my bugbear in the Rugby League tab on http://www.bbc.co.uk/sports disappears if you are not on an IP address in the North of England. We are buried on the 'All Sports' section along with darts, disability sports and gaelic games.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5385
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 15 200618 years116th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Apr 24 17:386th Apr 24 13:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:08 am  
Didn't Roger Draper decamp to the RFL with the brief to raise the profile & marketing strategies of RL ? You would expect him to have some excellent media contacts following his time at the LTA unless he has been black balled by the establishment for coming up north.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 03 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Nov 18 06:0620th Oct 18 18:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 pm  
Builth Wells Wire wrote:
Rugby Union, If you must talk about it, do it here. PART III

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=539828

Why are you quoting me and not person who started the thread?????

Regards

King James
Builth Wells Wire wrote:
Rugby Union, If you must talk about it, do it here. PART III

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=539828

Regards

King James
RankPostsTeam
International Star2079No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 10 201113 years277th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Jun 23 21:1019th Jun 23 14:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Its ALWAYS our year

Est.1876

Sent to me from heaven... You are my world.

1876 - 2022

BUM BANGERS SINCE 2012

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 pm  
Lebron James wrote:

Regards

King James

Because due to the fact no one likes you, he's trying to politely shepherd you away from our board? I'm only guessing at this mind...

I'm not sure what it is makes you more irritating than other fans who use our board but you definitely are. maybe its the way you end every single post with "Regards, King James" just waiting for people to call you out on it so you know you've achieved your goal of winding someone up then act innocent as if you don't know what you're doing to fuel your strange need for a sense of Blasé fulfilment.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4226
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years217th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 20:5714th Apr 24 18:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
top flight since 1895

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm  
lefty goldblatt wrote:

Huge %ages of this country are gullible. They'll believe owt they're told.

especially when its the 'establishment' telling them...broad sheet newspapers, mainstream broadcasters, royal family...all occupied by Union playing, old school tie brigade....

RL's only hope is Australia....and the strength of the sport there....where the 'establishment' has been kicked out....which is what we should have done as a nation years ago IMO.
RankPostsTeam
International Star851No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 08 201112 years256th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 18:5016th Apr 24 18:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:10 pm  
moving on... wrote:
Anyone who can suggest that there is no such thing as an active anti RL agenda from the RFU is, quite simply, an idiot who has no idea how the upper middle class go about their business. Wouldn't trust any of them. The type of people who'd rather watch you drown than part with a single penny. The same people who cover up sex scandals and paedophile rings within the establishment.

Correct Sir. I would add more but i would get in bother. Hoping they get a good kicking off the Aussies this week.
RankPostsTeam
International Star851No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 08 201112 years256th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 18:5016th Apr 24 18:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Union. : Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm  
lefty goldblatt wrote:
Just watched the 08:35 sports desk on BBC Breakfast (broadcast from Manchester) and was subjected highlights of ALL home nations RU games from yesterday (plus women's cricket).

Would any forum members like to guess how much RL news was in the same sports desk. They could have included Scotland's game, the current Ireland Wales match, and the England game due to kick off in an hour.

Yup. You guessed correctly.

The BBC REALLY don't like our sport

Don't think any of the broadcasters do really. I remember a time when on Challenge Cup final day there was a huge 2 to 3 hour build up, all the pre-match entertainment etc was broadcast and it was really all designed to climax the suspense up to kick off and it worked. People like Courtney Lawes being in advertisements for Maximuscle, Chris Robshaw doing Lucozade, Johnny Wilkinson with Gillette and even Jack Whitehall in an advert just to basically promote Rugby Union with Robinson, Dallaglio and Martin Johnson et al doesn't help. They get way too much exposure. I am afraid the broadcasters now have all colluded with each other to push womens football as much as they possibly can to get some interest. The problem is that it's an absolute garbage spectacle and it won't make a difference. Last year they were pushing like mad on a friday for the top of the table clash in the Womens Premier League and how much was riding on it etc. The game in question finished 10-2. How the hell can you push something so ridiculous.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 03 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Nov 18 06:0620th Oct 18 18:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.

Re: Union. : Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm  
Cherry_Warrior wrote:
Correct Sir. I would add more but i would get in bother. Hoping they get a good kicking off the Aussies this week.

No chance. The england rugby union team is the pinnacle of sports in this country. At a sell out twickenham, they will see off the aussies easily. Jones is even leaving the beast, Itoje on the bench, such is the embarassment of riches he has at his disposal

Regards

King James
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16415No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Sep 20 20:5617th Nov 17 14:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Union. : Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:49 pm  
Cherry_Warrior wrote:
I am afraid the broadcasters now have all colluded with each other to push womens football as much as they possibly can to get some interest. The problem is that it's an absolute garbage spectacle and it won't make a difference. Last year they were pushing like mad on a friday for the top of the table clash in the Womens Premier League and how much was riding on it etc. The game in question finished 10-2. How the hell can you push something so ridiculous.

10-2 isn’t a normal score in either the Women’s Premier League or the Women’s Super League which is what I presume you mean. All sports have occasional freak scores. Even the super duper Premier League.

It’s not garbage either. It’s garbage if you expect to watch the game and it to be the same as a men’s game, but then why would it be?
PreviousNext