12th Sep 16 15:325th Sep 16 22:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A.Marshall

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 am  
theredshed wrote:
I think you have to look also at the appeal and potential of the sport to investers. Top flight football is in a different stratosphere financially compared to Rugby League. And as much as it hurts to say, Rugby Union is on a different level also when you consider their clubs get substantially more from Sky.

A lot of blame is rightly directed at the clubs but should the rugby league not be held more accountable for the poor health of our game? For instance they couldn't even find a proper sponsor for Superleague and had to reluntantly agree to a few rugby players/teams being displayed on a small number of HGV lorries. If the RFL can't find a real sponsor for an established, professional and televised sport it doesn't inspire you with confidence that they negotiated the best possible deal with sky, does it?

I think another thing you have to consider is all clubs must be struggling to attract anywhere close to the levels of sponsorship they were getting pre 2008. Plus I've heard stories in the game of companies agreeing to sponsorship deals and then not being able to pay. This must surely affect the best laid plans or budgets.

Couldn't agree more with you. Hence the reason why I stated that if you was a businessman looking to invest and expecting a return on capital, the last place you would do that is on a rugby club.The people who do this do it as part of a passion for a club as your own Mr Wilkinson has admirably demonstarted.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach223No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 16 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 14 09:2723rd Oct 14 09:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Welcome to Jibsville
To Pay Is To Fail

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am  
Michigan red wrote:
It doesn't really matter, what matters is that he does a good job

I know. That's exactly the point I was making.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Sep 18 12:1828th Sep 18 11:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am  
Marshy1 wrote:
Couldn't agree more with you. Hence the reason why I stated that if you was a businessman looking to invest and expecting a return on capital, the last place you would do that is on a rugby club.The people who do this do it as part of a passion for a club as your own Mr Wilkinson has admirably demonstarted.

Yes it's not an investor, more a wealthy person looking for a new challenge, who wants to put their stamp on a club and make history whilst having some fun doing it.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3174
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Dec 16 14:3021st Nov 16 18:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth." "What on earth are you talking about?"

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:00 pm  
Marshy1 wrote:
No it doesn't as If you read properly I stated " no Rugby League Club is a good Investment unless it owns assets such as a stadium". unless I had bag fulls of cash which i didn't want.
If I was wanting a return on my money then I would certainly be looking for a club with assets of which there arn't to many knocking about, including Wigan.

Don't worry this isn't a "knock Salford" comment it is a general comment about pretty much all Rugby clubs.
The trouble with the sport and this applies to a certain degree not only Rugby League but Football and a few others is that they have sold their souls to Sky TV and are now so heavily reliant on that money which because at the moment is regular it masks the mis-management of most clubs.

unless your name's Glazer no one takes on the running of a professional sporting club expecting to run it purely for profit?

the Whole of RL is seriously underfunded in relation to it's overall support & viewing , as we've always been tagged provincial & minority and had real bidding competion for TV rights other than BSB.

I'd hope this Steuer Gregsson involvement is a way of due diligence so we have cost effective management and no other financial 'skeletons in cupboards' waiting for anyone brave enough to take us on.
we want the assets of the club to be on the pitch coaching & playing and building for the future in the academy.

you only have to look at Bradford over the past months, They declared one figure ( 1 million) to overcome their troubles this year , got tremendous support to raise 50% of it , then underwent a boardroom reshuffle and the new people in charge found the financial situation far worse than anticipated.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2981No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 200519 years308th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 16:0326th Nov 23 10:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:00 pm  
Michigan red wrote:
It doesn't really matter, what matters is that he does a good job and a bit of research only brings up good comments and reviews of the services provided by Steuer Gregsson. it's what the club and fans have been crying out for for many years and we've not got it, let's hope that it's the start of a whole new more professional outlook towards running the club.

Agree totally.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach223No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 16 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Welcome to Jibsville
To Pay Is To Fail

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 pm  
Early Bath wrote:
Agree totally.

Again, as do I. So why bring it up?

In fact, never mind, this will probably just go round in one big circle again.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First accept sadness. Realise that without losing 70% of the time, winning wouldn't be such a relief.

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:44 pm  
Are we not getting ahead of ourselves here? Has a more perminent involvement by consultants Steuer Gregsson been confirmed by them or the club? Surely if this was true the above mentioned person Mr Isherwood would have announced the news and introduced himself to the supportors via the club website.

Could we be gullible enough to read a journo's article and believe it to be true? Why not wait for something more official before making assumptions about what the guy could bring to the party.

Has anybody considered how egocentrically motivated the whole situation appears. Steuer Gregsson as consultants do a report and lets say they highlight Mr Tarry's weaknesses and failings. Following the report Mr Tarry is disposed of after 29 years and the guy who did the report is now rumoured in the league express to be running the club?

Steuer Gregsson are consultants and their service is to provide advice, and not to actually do the job.
Last edited by theredshed on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach223No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 16 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Welcome to Jibsville
To Pay Is To Fail

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:11 pm  
theredshed wrote:
Are we not getting ahead of ourselves here? Has a more perminent involvement by consultants Steuer Gregsson been confirmed by them or the club? Surely if this was true the above mentioned person Mr Isherwood would have announced the news and introduced himself to the supportors via the club website?

Could we be gullible enough to read a journo's article and believe it to be true? Why not wait for something more official before making assumptions about what the guy could bring to the party.

Has anybody considered how egocentrically motivated the whole situation appears. Steuer Gregsson as consultants do a report and highlight Mr Tarry's weaknesses and failings. Following the report Mr Tarry is disposed of after 29 years and the guy who did the report is now rumoured in the league express to be now running the club?

Steuer Gregsson are consultants and their service is to provide advice, and not to actually do the job.

You're also assuming that this would be a permanent appointment. As has, I think, been mentioned, they could be taking temporary 'charge' more to sort a few things out alongside the existing board in order to make the club more attractive to prospective investors as part of the consultancy. That doesn't mean they will now be in total charge of the club.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4314
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm  
Jibmeister wrote:
You're also assuming that this would be a permanent appointment. As has, I think, been mentioned, they could be taking temporary 'charge' more to sort a few things out alongside the existing board in order to make the club more attractive to prospective investors as part of the consultancy. That doesn't mean they will now be in total charge of the club.

I used the words 'more permanent involvement' and not permanent appointment. By this I meant more than a time based contract to carry out a consultancy report. The word 'involvement' suggests just that and doesn't imply I think they would be in total charge. Perhaps I should have used the word 'regular' rather than permanent? Apolgies for any confusion.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1749No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 06 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Nov 14 16:4227th Nov 14 16:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Devils Disciples required - No initiation ceremony needed just enter AJ Bell Stadium on Gameday to be accepted.

Re: John Wilkinson selling up : Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm  
I am surprised no one has commented on the editorial page in the RLE by Martyn Sadler where he would like
Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand to be persuaded to buy the club -

On the possible sexist point regarding females and soccer on the other thread,just for a bit of controversy,there have been female CEO's appointed at soccer clubs with the latest being Carolyn Stillwho made the news,again,fairly recently
I am surprised no one has commented on the editorial page in the RLE by Martyn Sadler where he would like
Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand to be persuaded to buy the club -

On the possible sexist point regarding females and soccer on the other thread,just for a bit of controversy,there have been female CEO's appointed at soccer clubs with the latest being Carolyn Stillwho made the news,again,fairly recently
PreviousNext