WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Toronto to sign one of the top 5 RU players in the world

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Toronto to sign one of the top 5 RU players in the world

Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:39 am
Ruune Rebellion Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 41
Rep Position: 88th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 0

According to their owner.

Wonder who that could be? Many people are claiming its SBW
Tommy Makinson - Golden Boot Winner 2018

Tom Johnstone - Superleague fan site winger of the year as voted for by Wakefield fans
Posted by craig hkr on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:08 am
craig hkr Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 80
Rep Position: 54th / 77,493

Sick of seeing the dirty beggars already. I shall be Leigh for the day this Sunday
Posted by Cokey on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:54 am
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 289
Rep Position: 6th / 77,493

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
craig hkr wrote:
Sick of seeing the dirty beggars already. I shall be Leigh for the day this Sunday

Cheers Craig, can't see us winning this one,but can only hope we can give them an hard game. :thumb:
Posted by PopTart on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 am
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 279
Rep Position: 10th / 77,493

SBW is a long way off the top 5 in RU.

There is no way any of the very top players are going to play in Toronto, even if they make it to Super League
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Posted by Clearwing on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:53 am
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 110
Rep Position: 36th / 77,493

PopTart wrote:
SBW is a long way off the top 5 in RU.

There is no way any of the very top players are going to play in Toronto, even if they make it to Super League

Offer enough and someone would. We were always able to lure some top union talent and unless sportsmen have suddenly become more money-averse than they used to be then we still could. Whether or not TWP is willing or able to do so is a moot point.
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

“Leeds just wander around looking like they’re doing nothing” (Jon Wilkin)

"Jon Wilkin's tight pants and coffee shop have not helped him to see the bigger picture or allowed him to get a firm grip on reality." (leeds owl)
Posted by Bullseye on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 335
Rep Position: 4th / 77,493

Quiz Score: 392

Good for them if they pull it off.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:33 pm

If they pull it off, it will confirm that no northern hemisphere club has the pulling power that Toronto do.

There is little doubt that Toronto will be contesting a grand final within 5 years

Tom Johnstone - Superleague fan site winger of the year as voted for by Wakefield fans
Posted by wrencat1873 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 285
Rep Position: 7th / 77,493

Ruune Rebellion wrote:
If they pull it off, it will confirm that no northern hemisphere club has the pulling power that Toronto do.

There is little doubt that Toronto will be contesting a grand final within 5 years

The have to make it out of the Championship first, although , with the amount they are spending on their squad, that shouldn't be too difficult.
And do you think they will have any Canadian players by then or, just overpaid mercenaries.

It's worth noting that their spending advantage will disappear just as soon as they make it into SL and do you really think that Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington will just step aside ?? I dont think so.
Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:49 pm

wrencat1873 wrote:
The have to make it out of the Championship first, although , with the amount they are spending on their squad, that shouldn't be too difficult.
And do you think they will have any Canadian players by then or, just overpaid mercenaries.

It's worth noting that their spending advantage will disappear just as soon as they make it into SL and do you really think that Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington will just step aside ?? I dont think so.

I have no idea how many canadian players will be playing for them but will have just as many overpaid mercenaries as Wakefield do.

Posted by wrencat1873 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:46 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 285
Rep Position: 7th / 77,493

Ruune Rebellion wrote:
I have no idea how many canadian players will be playing for them but will have just as many overpaid mercenaries as Wakefield do.

You may want to think again about that answer ?

Most of their squad have gone over there for more money than they could make in the UK hence the phrase "overpaid".
I'm not sure that Trinity are overpaying too many of their players. Yes, they have to compete but, I'm not sure that they can afford to over pay anyone, I wish they could - and maybe manage a couple of marque players as well.

Also, if they cant blood ANY Canadian players, what is the point ??

They should have used their time in League One to give some game time to one or two locals. As they try to progress into SL, that chance will be gone, possibly for ever.
Next