WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - NFL sell out Wembley *again* !

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace NFL sell out Wembley *again* !

Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2290
Ruune Rebellion wrote:
Why is it awful?


TBF, it's not awful, but it is a worry.

Parenting by "screen time" (I am guilty as well) is acceptable in moderation, but interacting with kids is a key part of development.......seth will discover that the principle is easier than the practice and in out ever increasing "busy lifestyles" quiet kids are generally the ones glued to a tablet/phone.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 pm
Posted by Seth on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 pm
Seth Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Posts: 2017
Location: Meltham
More the wisdom of 15 years working with children.
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm
Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm
Ruune Rebellion Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:20 pm
Posts: 50
Call Me God wrote:
TBF, it's not awful, but it is a worry.

Parenting by "screen time" (I am guilty as well) is acceptable in moderation, but interacting with kids is a key part of development.......seth will discover that the principle is easier than the practice and in out ever increasing "busy lifestyles" quiet kids are generally the ones glued to a tablet/phone.


Last year, my daughter had a presentation at her school for being in the top 1% in the country for SAT results. My daughter would also sit with her head buried in my phone watching YouTube videos of the dobre brothers, or some high pitched kid playing fortnite everytime we went out. Its. O different to when we were kids and were told to be quiet and colour in
Tommy Makinson - Golden Boot Winner 2018

Tom Johnstone - Superleague fan site winger of the year as voted for by Wakefield fans
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm
Posted by Seth on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm
Seth Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Posts: 2017
Location: Meltham
It’s awful because children’s social and emotional competencies are rapidly degrading largely due to overuse of technology which has a detrimental effect on their mental and physical wellbeing. Do some research or like I do spend your every working day around children, their parents and teachers and you’ll see the nagaitive behavioural changes it’s having. If you’re needing to ask why it’s bad children sitting at a dining table on a tablet then we’re clearly on a very different page.

Assessing child development and wellbeing goes far deeper than their academic attainment.
Last edited by Seth on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2290
Seth wrote:
More the wisdom of 15 years working with children.

Buddy. I don't disagree, but when you've finished a hard 50 hour week and you're catching up with mates down the pub, giving the little fella the mobile is easier than being pestered.....not saying it's right, but 50 years ago I was sat in the car in the pub car park with a bag of crisps and a bottle of coke.......at least my lad is watching david attenborough,,,,,,, 8)

That said, you've pricked my conscience, so this weekend he's not getting screen time util the training wheels are off his bike! :thumb:
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:49 pm
Posted by Ruune Rebellion on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:49 pm
Ruune Rebellion Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:20 pm
Posts: 50
Seth wrote:
More the wisdom of 15 years working with children.


So after 15 years working with children you have come to that conclusion that children shouldn’t be allowed to watch smartphones in public or that toddlers pretend mobile phones which are proven to encourage confidence and communication should be thrown in the bin?
Tommy Makinson - Golden Boot Winner 2018

Tom Johnstone - Superleague fan site winger of the year as voted for by Wakefield fans
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Posted by Seth on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:00 pm
Seth Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Posts: 2017
Location: Meltham
Ruune Rebellion wrote:
So after 15 years working with children you have come to that conclusion that children shouldn’t be allowed to watch smartphones in public or that toddlers pretend mobile phones which are proven to encourage confidence and communication should be thrown in the bin?

So easy to dismiss the point being made in the way that you have without a wider context. Then that’s probably my fault for engaging in such a topic over social media with a stranger. Children sitting on smartphones and tablets instead of interacting and even learning to be bored occasionally does have a great impact on wellbeing, there’s enough research out there this isn’t just an opinion that I alone hold. As for my 6 month old, there are so many ‘organic’ experiences that she engages in that are delveloping her social skills and sensory needs before she even needs a piece of brightly coloured plastic (not to say we don’t have toys) I just don’t want to normalise playing on phones as a healthy pastime, again the evidence base is not hard to find.
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:10 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:10 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 2290
:idea:
Seth wrote:
So easy to dismiss the point being made in the way that you have without a wider context. Then that’s probably my fault for engaging in such a topic over social media with a stranger. Children sitting on smartphones and tablets instead of interacting and even learning to be bored occasionally does have a great impact on wellbeing, there’s enough research out there this isn’t just an opinion that I alone hold. As for my 6 month old, there are so many ‘organic’ experiences that she engages in that are delveloping her social skills and sensory needs before she even needs a piece of brightly coloured plastic (not to say we don’t have toys) I just don’t want to normalise playing on phones as a healthy pastime, again the evidence base is not hard to find.

This^^^^^^^
And without vanishing down another rabbit hole, the access to "Frankie Vaughan" that kids have now is so distorting their expectations of what is right and wrong in terms of expressing their feelings.
Terrifying what young men are thinking now......
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Re: NFL sell out Wembley *again* !
Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 pm
Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 pm
MorePlaymakersNeeded Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 414
Call Me God wrote:
Buddy. I don't disagree, but when you've finished a hard 50 hour week and you're catching up with mates down the pub, giving the little fella the mobile is easier than being pestered.....not saying it's right, but 50 years ago I was sat in the car in the pub car park with a bag of crisps and a bottle of coke.......at least my lad is watching david attenborough,,,,,,, 8)

That said, you've pricked my conscience, so this weekend he's not getting screen time util the training wheels are off his bike! :thumb:

Remember them days well, but back then I could only dream of sitting in a car!
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BRIXTON, Clearwing, ComeOnYouUll, ducknumber1, Faxhali, Google [Bot], HuddsRL5, roofaldo2, The Horses Mouth, thefaxfanman, Uncle Rico and 162 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,819,8881,11977,3074,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 31st Jan 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Fri 1st Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
HULL FC
Fri 1st Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
SALFORD
Fri 1st Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Sat 2nd Feb 17:00
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 3rd Feb 15:00
SLXXIV
LONDON BRONCOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Thu 7th Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
HULL FC
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 8th Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sat 9th Feb 15:00
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
HULL KR
Sat 9th Feb 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






2