Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 am
Posted by Call Me God on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 am
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 411
Rep Position: 1st / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Murdoch has lost his attempt to take 100% control of SKY, with Comcast likely to have their offer accepted. Comcast have a good record in sports broadcasting and offer a true "multi-platform" solution to the ever changing sports broadcast market.....
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45615441
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Re: Great News for RL in the UK
Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 am
Posted by Someday on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 am
Someday Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 38
Rep Position: 67th / 77,338

Call Me God wrote:
Murdoch has lost his attempt to take 100% control of SKY, with Comcast likely to have their offer accepted. Comcast have a good record in sports broadcasting and offer a true "multi-platform" solution to the ever changing sports broadcast market.....
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45615441

Hope you are right we need some good news
Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:35 am
Posted by bramleyrhino on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:35 am
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 72
Rep Position: 39th / 77,338

I don't think you can make that claim at face value. Yes, Comcast is big on sports in the US, but that's because the sports market in the US is much more fragmented (teams will have their own TV deals, and that invariably involves the local cable company) and like Sky, it uses sport to sell subscriptions.

What will determine the value of our sports rights is how many subscriptions depend on RL content, the volume of the audience we deliver, and the value of that audience to advertisers.

Comcast buying Sky doesn't change the fact that the second and third of those factors are falling, and the first one can't be very high. The sport has ignored those issues for too long, and it's going to cost.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 pm
Posted by Durham Giant on Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 pm
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 38
Rep Position: 67th / 77,338

They will be more interested if there is a N American team playing ratere than M62 clubs
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 411
Rep Position: 1st / 77,338

Durham Giant wrote:
They will be more interested if there is a N American team playing ratere than M62 clubs

I doubt they care who is playing the game and more about a/ who has a subscription because of it and b/ how they can monatise that audience.......
...I fully expect them to get the chequebook out in terms of bidding for more sports and paying more to retain what they have.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:57 am
Posted by wildshot on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:57 am
wildshot User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 30
Rep Position: 75th / 77,338

bramleyrhino wrote:
I don't think you can make that claim at face value. Yes, Comcast is big on sports in the US, but that's because the sports market in the US is much more fragmented (teams will have their own TV deals, and that invariably involves the local cable company) and like Sky, it uses sport to sell subscriptions.

What will determine the value of our sports rights is how many subscriptions depend on RL content, the volume of the audience we deliver, and the value of that audience to advertisers.

Comcast buying Sky doesn't change the fact that the second and third of those factors are falling, and the first one can't be very high. The sport has ignored those issues for too long, and it's going to cost.

Maybe the sport can stop shooting itself in the foot and stop playing matches on Friday night, dragging viewers away from the televised match. If a televised match is on then surely no other match should take place at the same time?

This alone would help increase viewing figures by a few thousand and give more clout to the sport in negotiating a new tv deal.
http://flightsandfrustration.com/

It is "Fifita" not "Fafita"

If you don't know the difference between "there", "their" and "they're" I might get annoyed.

Sharing First World problems so you can get it right first time.

Millionaires wanted. Apply here --- Wakefield Trinity
Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:52 am
Posted by bramleyrhino on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:52 am
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 72
Rep Position: 39th / 77,338

wildshot wrote:
Maybe the sport can stop shooting itself in the foot and stop playing matches on Friday night, dragging viewers away from the televised match. If a televised match is on then surely no other match should take place at the same time?

This alone would help increase viewing figures by a few thousand and give more clout to the sport in negotiating a new tv deal.

I agree, and I've said that before - I don't understand why we willingly dilute our own TV audience. If I were on Sky's side of the negotiating table in 2021, I'd be demanding exclusivity of matchday (or exclusivity of the slot) for televised games. Of course, Lenaghan would probably have to run that past his bosses at Wigan Athletic first.....
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 am
Posted by Mash Butty on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 am
Mash Butty User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 28
Rep Position: 77th / 77,338

bramleyrhino wrote:
I agree, and I've said that before - I don't understand why we willingly dilute our own TV audience. If I were on Sky's side of the negotiating table in 2021, I'd be demanding exclusivity of matchday (or exclusivity of the slot) for televised games. Of course, Lenaghan would probably have to run that past his bosses at Wigan Athletic first.....

Are the Rhinos and United both playing tonight?
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:19 am
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:19 am
Psychedelic Casual Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 142
Rep Position: 14th / 77,338

Durham Giant wrote:

The USA cares very little about Canada.
--- ¡ We are Wire ! ---